K12

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature(in 25 reviews)

• Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between participating schools and K12(in 7 reviews)

• Communication from upper management could be better in certain divisions of the company(in 12 reviews)

Good while it lasts

Online Teacher (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThe private schools allow teachers to set flexible hours, not just 9-5. You can also do Sunday through Thursday instead of the traditional workweek. Managers discourage teachers for working more than 40 hours a week, to avoid burn out. The curriculum department creates the lessons and being online removes teachers from the duty of policing behavior (gum chewing, tardiness, dress code, etc), so teachers are only responsible for grading and answering student questions. Many students respond really well to the online environment, and you form a better relationship with them than you would in a traditional classroom. Pay is good, but school is year-round so really it balances out. Working from home allows better time management.

ConsSince we are online and the curriculum is set up an an independent study, there is no opportunity to do fun stuff like cooperative learning or field trips. The curriculum department creates lessons in a one-size-fits all method for all K12 students, and modifying them is cumbersome and frowned upon. Student who go AWOL are hard to reach, and many parents don't understand technology and have difficulty monitoring their student's progress (or just can't be bothered). Getting promotions or raises is difficult because you have no interaction with coworkers, no opportunity to impress management or get to know them. NO CONTRACTS so people can and do disappear with zero advanced warning, just because someone with zero education background decided that they could do some cost cutting somewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more communication between faculty, curriculum, and admissions. Establish yearly contracts. Abandon traditional school concepts of "winter break" and "spring break" and instead increase vacation days. Interact more with teachers. Allow vacation days to accrue based on date of hire rather than the fiscal year and allow them to roll over - so we don't have everyone trying to to use up all their days in July, when we are busy with both the spring terms and summer school and prepping for the fall.

Good

Department Chair (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunities to move up in the company are good

ConsThey don't always move quickly on decisions.

Great people for a progressive cause

Marketing Services (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsSmart genuine people, Competitive pay for the area, Attractive corporate office, Great benefits, Flexible hours

Cons- Individual departments aren't very integrated. You only know what'd going on within your department.
    - Not much room for growth.
    - Gossip/behind the back culture at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more incentive for a job well done. Try to bring departments together.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding Instructional Platform, low pay for the skills required

Virtual Teacher (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsOpportunity to use awesome virtual tools to reach students and families in real time; outstanding peers and direct leadership

ConsTeachers are paid below district wages

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease teacher salaries

Internal Politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExtremely aggressive, higher only the best, exposure to leaders in industry, excellent products.

ConsCut throat when it comes to business and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of coming across in the market as too blood thristy and greedy--aggressive is good, heartless is not.

K12

Community Manager (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsFlexible with remote employees. A company with a purpose, and constant reminders that you are helping those in need of a better education.

ConsLOBs work in silos and it is hard to with other teams as they like to claim their own work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter a recent reorganization, the management team still has a lot of work to do in regards to making sure LOBs are not working in silos and need to work on creating a better corporate culture.

A great company on the rise

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

Prosdedicated staff, experts in their field, a mission to believe in

Conspay not always most competitive

Lot's of chances to help kids

Online Teacher (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOne of the leaders for online education

ConsTraining is pretty boring and could be more interactive

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the training more interactive

Many Opportunities to Grow

ProsCompany Focused on Helping Students be Successful

ConsPressure of being a public company

Advice to Senior ManagementReward Your Best workers

I enjoyed it

Project Manager (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsIt was a positive environment, people seemed to get along well. Management as well as my colleagues took on a mentorship role with me, which I appreciated. I learned a lot in the time I was there

ConsThey have not been growing as rapidly as expected and recently got a new CFO. Budgets are tight and they've been through layoffs and from what I understand they anticipate more.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more money!

Worked for K12? Contribute to the Community!