K12

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature(in 25 reviews)

• Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between participating schools and K12(in 7 reviews)

• Communication from upper management could be better in certain divisions of the company(in 12 reviews)

Good job if you stick it out.

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsGood low-level management, pay comparable for teachers where I live, flexible, management (in my experience) stands behind teachers, and there are opportunities for advancement.

ConsOne used to be able to work any time of day as long as 40 hours were met (for full-time) and calls to students were made during business hours -- which is great for parents wishing to stay home with children and who need that flexibility. Changes in management have resulted in changes to this policy and teachers are now expected to work from 8-4/9-5. There is still flexibility, but this aspect is frustrating.

Student loads can be excessive, but enrollments are unpredictable, so sometimes it's impossible to adjust staffing levels to meet unexpected enrollment demands.

The company is constantly restructuring, so it can create uncertainties as to expectations for staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay should be adjusted for where teachers live -- not just one flat pay-scale.
    Flexibility is an important aspect of this job for most teachers, keep in mind that many have this position and work very hard but may not be able to be available from 8-4 or 9-5. Allow the flexibility (with phone calls made during business hours) for your remote employees.

Veteran of multiple departments

Prosgrowth opportunities if you last long enough

Conslow-mid level management is inconsistent and overwhelmed, pay structure has dramatically reduced within the last year+ and changes daily

Advice to Senior Managementworkers will never care more for the customers than managers care for them.

50/50

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThe work environment is awesome!! Really laid back and for the most part everyone gets along rather well. Perfect place to if you just joining Corporate America.

ConsNew upper management seem to have their own agendas and it only includes the people they like or brought over with them from their previous job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight more for your employees instead of trying to impress upper management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company is managed as poorly as it's schools

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people trying to do good things

ConsCompany is searching for answers, their technology is tired, and leadership is lost.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the egos and start thinking like a modern technology development company. It's a mobile-first world and you are years behind already. Your internal development teams are 3rd rate and will never allow you to catch up. The poor quality of your content, archaic enrollment and learning management systems and glacial pace of advancement of those platforms are testaments to the fact. Clean house and outsource your development.

Definition of Insanity...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsK12 has a great mission and truly does help families find an education option that fits their needs. There are many very talented employees who have so much to offer to the position, company, and fellow co-workers.

ConsThe culture has changed considerably in 5+ years. The salaries are low for anyone under a director level. There is no career growth, guidance, internal promotions are few and far between. It has become a place that is all about money and not helping families (or employees). Communication is barely there. Morale is the lowest it's ever been. Perfection is expected at all times and employee opinions or ideas aren't important or wanted.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should look to the culture of other companies to see what changes they can make. Trust your employees more, raise salaries more than a 2% raise, meaningful goals sets in the right time frame, set policies and stick to them. Save money by allowing telecommuting specific days - it's a virtual education company, if the students can be remote the employees should too.

Not so great

ProsWorking from home; low stress; immediate managers of teachers overall are good to work with but at times treat teachers in a threatening manner.

ConsI'm not sure education for profit is such a good idea. Teacher expertise is not tapped; you just grade work from a canned, static curriculum and communicate with students, parents and school mentors. Some school mentors are effective and facilitate student progress while others are uninvolved. The program is misused as a special ed solution placing students lacking in the skills they need for successful elearning into a setup for failure. There is a lot of very confusing bureaucracy to wade through. Pay is lower than minimum wage would be. Because this is a for-profit company, you do not have access to use open educational resources as you would in the public sector. Teachers are at the behest of the mentors, meaning we have no ability to make sound instructional decisions, unless we can convince them to do so. There's a lot of "just getting through" for a grade and little concern for high quality learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you raise the level of professional respect, treatment, and compensation for teachers that they receive in the public sector (which has its problems too, but you're worse) and concern yourselves with actual learning rather than completion you might have a shot at keeping teachers longer, but oh yeah, you're all about making money, aren't you?

started off great and slowly losing morale

Prosflexible schedule and oppurtunity for growth

Conspoor upper management and low moral, not alot of leadership in management

Finance personnel beware!

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsCompany in in the IT/software industry which is by definition growing and a flourishing industry.

ConsIn finance you will work like a sweat shop with average pay and no recognition. You will be expected to available 7 days a week and will even get call at 6am on Sunday to come into work with warning. This may not be true for other areas in the co. but this is true across entire finance group. CFO and other top leadership is new and has taken the position to revamp the group by removing all personnel that is not a 'perfect fit". Middle management in finance are in place because they have great tenure or through nepotism as they have relatives in the c suite or on the board. If you work in finance and are out of work then maybe take a chance. otherwise do yourself a favor and pass. To be clear, I'm not bitter, since I've left I have a better role with more pay and better work life balance... just wish I knew someone on the inside that could have saved me the trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey will not listen; no need

Nice idea, poorly executed

ProsGood people who believe in what they're doing.

ConsDreadful communication. Poor quality control. Feels rudderless most of the time. Very resistant to change.

No loyalty or respect for the teachers.

Teacher (Former Employee) Murray, UT

ProsI got to work at home. I was also able to make good connects with the students and parents that decided to be attentive in the school. The actual teacher you work with, are the best in the state (but don't become too attached, the school doesn't like to keep around their good teachers).

ConsYou have to be rehired every year, and to be rehired you are judged on data that you may not know about until the end of the year, if at all. You will be assessed and evaluated on student progress, but students are not required to attend class. You will be told what to teach, and this will change on an almost monthly basis. Teachers, and mentors are not treated with respect. There is no loyalty in the company, and even though the administration would strongly disagree, they harbor an atmosphere of fear, and contempt. Each year is like roulette...will you be rehired or won't you? Even the best teachers fear for their jobs on a constant basis. Like all teachers you will put in over 40 hours a week, but you will be expected to spend more than your contracted 40 hours doing menial administrative tasks (like logging attendance, and calling truant students).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're teachers are the ones that make the school great. Treat them with the respect they deserve.

Worked for K12? Contribute to the Community!