K12 Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
2.4

Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature (in 25 reviews)

• Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between participating schools and K12 (in 7 reviews)

• Communication from upper management could be better in certain divisions of the company (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of dedicated people on the front lines, but senior leadership are not educators

I worked at K12 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many colleagues are super focused and dedicated on creating great educational experiences for students from all walks of life. It is great to work with people from all over the country.

Cons

The company leadership consists of mostly Ivy League MBAs and former corporate executives from all industries except education. The focus is on generating enrollments (which equals $). Top executives pay, bonuses and stock options are inordinately high, which fuels the argument that for profit companies should not be running public schools.

Scale back executive and board compensation and invest back into the quality of the schools you operate.

K12 reviews

I have been working at K12

Pros

Good atmosphere and people. Helpful seniors

Cons

nothing i found as a con

Teacher

Current Employee - Virtual Teacher, Fuel Ed
    Current Employee - Virtual Teacher, Fuel Ed

I have been working at K12 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work from home, flexibility, good students, teachers who work hard and care a lot
    Good part time job

Cons

Low pay for full time, can be chaotic, upper management has been basically separated and rarely talks to teachers or teams any more, departments were great, moving to regions has been just okay but truly not as positive as departmental was, management never asks our opinions on how processes are truly working
    Not much respect for those who have been here awhile. No Masters degree but lots of experience gets you nowhere. Yet they don't pay you any more for a Masters degree.

The company has made big gains financially and yet you all do not give raises. Bonuses are not really what teachers care about since taxes eat those up. Pay your people better and you won't have as much turn over and bad reviews here. For Profit education is getting a bad name.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great hardworking coworkers down in the trenches but Sr. Leadership (CEO included) are incompetent and out of touch .

Former Employee - Director  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 full-time for less than a year

Pros

At the Director level, pay is great with stock options and bonus potential.
    Casual attire and the office is in a nice area.
    Was a pleasure to work with such a dedicated, hardworking group of people (those below executive level).

Cons

They decided to place me in a different role than I interviewed for and didn't actually tell me that until after I started the job.
    People are jumping ship all the time. Not just low level employees, but higher level and high performers, too. Never a good sign. And they weren't leaving for better jobs- they were just leaving with nothing lined up (I did the same).
    Many of the systems don't work/talk to each other properly which leads to poor enrollment numbers and experiences for both internal and external users.
    Poor recruiting and training for entry level employees on up. Garbage in, garbage out. Some of the folks on the phone spoke some type of slang which was barely recognizable and we are trying to sell an education here.
    2013 was a bad year and instead of analyzing the root cause, I was told to ignore that and compare all the numbers to 2012. The market has changed and pretending something didn't happen isn't going to make things better. I've never heard of a company that simply ignores the facts from the prior year and goes to another year that sounds better to them. This means you are forced to work against an impossible budget that has no basis in fact or possibility of being met.
    Zero work/life balance. That is a foreign concept here and it isn't helped that they change days/hours of operations without actually hiring people to provide coverage. They expect low level exempt people to work late and come in on weekends with no compensation. They try to offer a bonus to incentivize people to come in but it changes monthly and employees just get burned out.
    Communication varies between areas but on average it is poor.

What was once an exciting, promising company has been run into the ground due to incompetence and wayward leadership. Zero morale, high stress, high attrition and poor direction don't spell success.
    Stop launching systems before being adequately tested, that reeks of nonexistent strategic planning. Bugs are to be expected in any launch but the issues here go way beyond that.
    Consider trying to be an "Employer of Choice".
    Finally, don't tell people after they are hired that you've decided to place them in a different role.

Good job if you stick it out.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at K12 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good low-level management, pay comparable for teachers where I live, flexible, management (in my experience) stands behind teachers, and there are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

One used to be able to work any time of day as long as 40 hours were met (for full-time) and calls to students were made during business hours -- which is great for parents wishing to stay home with children and who need that flexibility. Changes in management have resulted in changes to this policy and teachers are now expected to work from 8-4/9-5. There is still flexibility, but this aspect is frustrating.

Student loads can be excessive, but enrollments are unpredictable, so sometimes it's impossible to adjust staffing levels to meet unexpected enrollment demands.

The company is constantly restructuring, so it can create uncertainties as to expectations for staff.

Pay should be adjusted for where teachers live -- not just one flat pay-scale.
    Flexibility is an important aspect of this job for most teachers, keep in mind that many have this position and work very hard but may not be able to be available from 8-4 or 9-5. Allow the flexibility (with phone calls made during business hours) for your remote employees.

Not what was advertised in the interview

Former Employee - Personal Assistant Liaison  in  Alcoa, TN
    Former Employee - Personal Assistant Liaison in Alcoa, TN

I worked at K12 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits are decent

Cons

Wasn't supposed to be a sales job but that's exactly what it was. Leads are recycled and you constantly 'over call' people who expressed no interest. Training was an absolute joke and the trainer didn't have up to date, relevant material and the site director came across as a sneaky snake oil salesman. Not my thing for sure and I'm glad I left.

What's the point? You are all a bunch of yes men and women.

Horrible Training Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alcoa, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN

I worked at K12 full-time

Pros

Good benefits and pay was decent. This location doesn't have set growth....rumors that it will happen.

Cons

Worse class training I've ever experienced. Other employees commented that it was the worst they had heard about. Also, not hired for what applied and when asked the HR rep had no idea what I was talking about.

Pay closer attention to details when getting staff hired and trained.

Contractor teacher

Current Employee - Contractor
    Current Employee - Contractor

I have been working at K12 as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Work at home on your own schedule.

Cons

Low salary as contractor. Not enough students to be put on salary scale.

UTVA

I worked at K12

Pros

Get to work from home

Cons

Great company to work for. No cons

Veteran of multiple departments

I have been working at K12 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

growth opportunities if you last long enough

Cons

low-mid level management is inconsistent and overwhelmed, pay structure has dramatically reduced within the last year+ and changes daily

workers will never care more for the customers than managers care for them.

Worked for K12? Contribute to the Community!