K12 Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature (in 32 reviews)

• The work / life balance was good (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not care about the families lower employees are assigned to help (in 14 reviews)

I'm bitter and disillusioned.

Current Employee - Product Development in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Product Development in Herndon, VA

Pros

flexible hours ability to work at home when necessary opportunity to do creative, exciting work interesting colleagues fast-paced environment products are decent excellent tech support

Cons

Management promises promotions and conversions to salaried employment that never materialize. Too much pressure on product development to work faster is starting to cause tension and infighting between and within teams. Lots of reliance on contractors rather than salaried employees. Contractors are never converted to salaried employees unless they extert leverage by getting another job offer. This rewards disloyalty and makes people who work hard and stay with the company feel like saps. Promotions seem based on the whim of the CEO rather than competence, loyalty, or performance. Products are put together in an assembly line fashion, with lots of pressure on employees to work faster and cheaper. It's very difficult to understand the product as a whole while you're working on it. Lack of communication, mainly because no one has any time. Failure to provide adequate training... which is inexcusable in an education company. Employees are treated like second-class citizens, contractors are treated worse. The company uses a confusing array of proprietary and off-the-shelf software, much of which doesn't work well together. It requires a lot of training for new employees... which is going to become a serious problem if people keep leaving.

Advice to Management

I've worked for this company for three years, and I've seen the CEO exactly once. He didn't introduce himself... I recognized him because one of the avatars we use in our lessons is Ron as a little kid. You might want to talk to some of the people who work for you. Maybe show up to an all-hands product development meeting once in a while, circulate for five minutes and say to a couple of people you haven't me before,"Thanks for all your hard work. How are things going?" Just-in-time production and delivery makes sense for companies like Toyota and Wal-mart, who have products and parts that take up real space in warehouses and stores. For a company that produces virtual content, it's just plain stupid. We're missing deadlines and costing the company money because schedules and budgets have been squeezed to the point that no one can meet them without working tons of unpaid, unrecorded overtime. Workers are starting to abandon the company because they see upper-level management getting huge bonuses but crying poverty whenever a front-line employee wants something extravagant, like health insurance. We don't want a pat on the back, we want to be adequately compensated and given enough time to do our jobs effectively.

Huge student counts, low pay, lousy support

Former Employee - Teacher in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Madison, WI

Pros

You are starving and no one else will hire you?

Cons

Huge student counts, large number of preps, and really low pay with high expectations. Seriously, of the thousands paid for each student by the state, only about $500 of it makes it into the pockets of teachers, who are asked to supply their own equipment, get no benefits, and have to pay for the space they work from in their homes.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff a living wage. Full time teachers work for about poverty pay, with almost no benefits. You could share a little of the wealth.

Wish I'd never been involved

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Mission is admirable, but it should be a mission we all have for education today

Cons

Huge divide between management and all the "little" people not getting rich in stock options. Authenticity please. We can't believe our marketing material unless it is true.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to go.

Unprofessional management with lack of fairness and communication

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The best reasons to work at K12 are health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance and opportunities to continue your education.

Cons

The management does not communicate with employees about performance issues. The management doesn't accurately and fairly extend advancement opportunities within the office, and promises options that never come to fruition.

Advice to Management

Management needs to realize that there is more to success in an office than appearance - your staff can't stuff things under a pile and hide it forever.

A dishonest, horrible environment

Current Employee - International Academy Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - International Academy Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

The spewed vision is great. The idea of students being allowed to receive courses anywhere in the world and adjust to student schedules is terrific. The curriculum is well developed and teaches the students the skills needed to become life-long learners.

Cons

The administration is not honest with employees about the plans for the future. Diplomas are being granted for little to no work - 5-6 classes can earn a diploma. Certain employees are singled out and harassed. The company believes they can control every aspect of your life - i.e. who you speak to, honesty and thics with customers, etc. The promotions are going to people who worked for companies K12 bought without interviews or considering current K12 staff that have been loyal employees.

Advice to Management

The takeover by Kaplan has been a disaster. K12 bought them, yet they turned the business over to them to lose money and destroy another school. My opinion, if someone bankrupts one business, I would not put them over a successful one to bring down as well. That is exactly what has happened. One more thing, stop singling out employees based on rumors. There are always 2 sides and management should listen instead of spreading more rumors to ruin someone's reputation.

Bad treatment of teachers

Current Employee - Teacher in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some flexibility with work times.

Cons

This company is driven by profits vs providing a solid education to students. They are actively marketing to students who should not be schooled at home. Many students make little progress and have no learning coach supervision. Teachers are poorly paid yet the CEO doubled his salary last year. It is sinful! A teacher earns in the 30,000 range even with many years experience.

Advice to Management

Less greed with lead to more success for all!

Organizational disaster

I worked at K12 full-time

Pros

I wish I could think of some "pros" to write about, but from day one, promises we're made by this company that were never acted upon, much less met.

Cons

Nobody is willing to accept responsibility for anything. High turnover at all levels. It's just a bloated publicly traded company that is worried about shareholders... not education.

Advice to Management

Shut it down if you can't do any better.

K12 is Waste of Time to Consumers and Employee. Stop OFFSHORING...

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Organization changes more often. Employees are treated as Slaves. No responsibility from Senior Management. Offshore employees are mediocre. Single point of Failure.

Cons

I cant think of any

Advice to Management

Please know what you are doing instead of simply implementing

Hostile Work Environment

Current Employee - Enrollment Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Consultant in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Salary, not much else going for the place.

Cons

Hostile, negative environment, no professionalism, horrible training. If you don't chain smoke cigarettes with senior management then you don't matter. And they make that apprarent. HA

Advice to Management

Stop acting aloof, cold and treating employees like trash.

How This Company Continues to Float IS MIND BLOWING

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

By long and far, the biggest pro here is the Work/Life balance. K12 is great at allowing you to be flexible to care of your personal matters when needed. The company has a good vision and plan to educate kids, so that I love about K12.

Cons

- Management at all levels are basically clueless at running a business/company. There is no clear direction as to where the company is moving to and opportunities for improvements are ignored and/or continuously missed. - There is ZERO room for advancement. The company does not have a structure in place for employees to advance up. Does not make for great employee morale. - Benefit costs continue to go up, but you get less.

RSS Feed </> Embed