K12

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature (in 25 reviews)

• Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between participating schools and K12 (in 7 reviews)

• Communication from upper management could be better in certain divisions of the company (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Company seems to be going downhill.. Shady practices

ProsWork environment is nice, flexible hours

ConsManagement is not really that forthcoming with their employees. Company utilizes a lot of contractors and constantly tells them they are trying to hire them, but they only care about the bottom dollar and will let you go in a heartbeat. Having worked in a few departments, I have seen this over and over. Constantly cutting corners, combining jobs and overworking contractors and employees, lying to employees, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen to anything

Teacher - 4 years

Online Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsNot many - work from home is a plus, but you'll be working 12-16 hours a day, including nights and weekends. Enjoyed contact with students.

ConsDon't think that being an online teacher will be easier. It's not! Extremely low pay, high turnover in teachers and students. No contract, so people leave with no notice. Grueling long hours with no overtime. Stressed out, angry, overworked employees. Management constantly changing policies and duties they require of teachers. Teachers are expected to perform a multitude of secretarial/data keeping tasks which take up most of your time. High caseloads. Special ed teachers will write 90+ IEPs a year along with all the other duties teachers are required to do. Teachers also serve as advisors to a caseload of 40+ students and must have weekly contact by phone with students, many of which don't want to be contacted, so it's like chasing your tail. High pressure from admin to pass students, so teachers change course requirements and fudge grades enabling students to easily pass. Devaluing, meanspirited environment which encourages backbiting between employees. Emphasis on the dollar. Staff meetings focus on getting kids to pass classes and praises those teachers with high pass rates. No professional development. Evaluations center around student pass rates. Constant technology problems. K12 policy does not allow supervisors to give recommendations, which makes it difficult to get another teaching job. They do not promote from within so zero opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your teachers more. You're losing a lot of good people because of the awful work environment, low pay and heavy workload.

Great, then progressively worse.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone at this point. Don't know what else to say. Still some good people left. Perhaps something good will happen before they all hit the road.

ConsExec. Management. Devalued the employees. Stopped listening. Introduced a ton of bureaucracy. Hard to get things moving. Hard to care anymore.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Troubling Atmosphere

Senior Manager Product Development (Current Employee)

ProsThe ELT team works hard to provide technology that is useful and easy for employees to use.

ConsThe company leadership has made choices that are hurting students and employees. Management only wants "yes mean." Even though the main funding for the company is public funding and the schools are created through partnerships with public entities, employees are not allowed to be forthcoming to government personnel. Management intentionally misleads public officials and instruct employees to mislead or stay silent. The content is not designed to teach the required standards but the management group misleads states into believing it is. State DOE's need to ask people below senior management for the facts.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to tell the truth.

A Big Joke

Online Teacher (Former Employee) Maumee, OH

ProsAbout the only positive thing is the paycheck, which at least keeps you above poverty level. This place is a terrible place to work, with Big Brother looking over your shoulder every second. They will can you in a heartbeat. They have a difficult time retaining teachers and students.

ConsMoney is lousy, benefits not very good, people get fired for no valid reason, rules change all the time, management is invisible.
    Not a real school. It's the Fast Food of Education. Students pass without doing work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell your shares while you still can.

Incompetent executive leadership

Technical Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTher are no real positives anymore. It used to be a dynamic (albeit sloppily managed) company.

ConsThis used to be a troubled but promising place to work: truly valuable mission, good people. It had serious problems, but people were conscientiously working to fix them and were making real progress. Then a new "executive chairman" joined and hired an utterly incompetent CFO. Together they systematically destroyed the place, as if by design. They refunded or eliminated every constructive initiative. It's a genuine tragedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the executive chairman and CFO, along with some dead wood among the VPs. Put the company back on a sound development path. Fund critical initiatives realistically. Try to remember that good people are needed to create a great company, and that they want to enjoy coming to work. Put in place managers who are skilled at managing people in addition to numbers. The numbers do matter, but people matter more.

Horrible Environment

Product Development (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThe flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature. The idea of working on cutting edge products is exciting.

ConsAbout 2 years ago, the company restructured and placed 2 people in charge of the department. They were overloaded and overworked. As a result, there is now no leadership. People are disgruntled and looking to leave. Because people are afraid of losing their jobs, they have started stabbing each other in the back. Two years ago, this was a fun place to work. Now, I cry when I have to go into the office for fear of what may happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some leadership in the department and listen to the employees. Conduct a survey about the job atmosphere and direction. A few people are allowed to speak, but like the other departmental surveys, Product Development needs to listen to employees other than direct reports of the 2 bosses. I doubt the managers know my name. Yelling at employees should not be allowed. The bosses need to stop the back stabbing instead of working to promote that culture.

SEC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can't say, there are any pros about this company anymore. Maybe, just benefits and let's face it, you can get health insurance at most jobs now a days.

ConsConstant changes in performance metrics. No one seems to ever be on the same page and was a daily battle to even want to go to work. Environment is horrible. Everyone has their own way of doing the same things and caused too much confusion and animosity. Ever since they have tried to change the whole company a year ago, every month that went by I got more disgusted. Management and Supervisors are lazy and don't do much but complain and take things out on employees.I used to love working there and then it went to garbage. Glad myself and many others have, or are leaving as well. What a dump.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing how the system works DAILY. When are you going to wake up and realize that the people on the phones are not robots. You can't re program people daily in this position and expect a good outcome. Keep pushing it and you won't have any quality people left, if there even are any left at this point. Probably a good reason why, goals weren't met. A bit more respect would be a good idea as well. It goes a long way

Use extreme caution...

State Enrollment Consultant (Enrollment Advisor) (Former Employee) Alcoa, TN

ProsThe training was actually a bit better than what most people said. The materials that were presented were actually pretty decent for what its worth and was quite interactive. The supervisors that were there early on were decent and were their biggest asset. These were the only highlight that was at the company. Everything else was wrong.

ConsWhere does one start here?

- The pay is quite awful for the position that is being asked. It needs to be significant;y higher than what it was mentioned.
    - There is NO work-life balance.
    - There was a lot of misconceptions that are mentioned in the interview and the ACTUAL job.
    - Chaotic environment.
    - Though the training was good, it must be far more realistic for the position at hand.
    - Accommodations are questionable at best and seemed like it was a difficult process to get something taken care of.
    - There was definitely a lack of growth opportunities present and will forever be. Quite possibly a dead end position at the looks of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the pay MUCH HIGHER than what it is and you'll retail top talent. Also, make sure that the position is honestly mentioned in the interview as it seems like this was a big misconception. Finally, make sure that there is room to grow. You'll go down like a sinking ship if you don't.

Very Frustrating Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFellow employees are mostly very kind
    Very happy that I am no longer employed there

ConsUnrealistic expectations
     not paying overtime when expectation it to work over 80 hours a week
    Harassing nature of leadership and upper level management

Advice to Senior ManagementWork/life balance is doesn't exist, time to eliminate the bad management of the company.

Worked for K12? Contribute to the Community!