K12

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
2.4

Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature (in 30 reviews)

• Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • poor upper management and low moral, not alot of leadership in management (in 13 reviews)

• Work life balance does not exist (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Concept still in development. Great start though.

Current Employee - Virtual Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Virtual Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at K12 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a great and there seems to be a great desire to improve.

Cons

The work life balance is not supported, true school organization and functioning is missing. Pay is not even 10K of what a starting educator with a bachelors, not certified makes in the larger counties of the Atlanta area. Leadership is still burgeoning. K12 is a great opportunity for certain students and not all it seems like that message is not being effectively communicated and many leave dissatisfied and return to their home schools.

It feels like more of a product to deliver rather than a school

Great teachers and students

Former Employee - Online Teacher in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Online Teacher in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, great co-workers

Cons

poor management and huge workload,

Love it!!

Current Employee - Virtual Teacher in Nicoma Park, OK
    Current Employee - Virtual Teacher in Nicoma Park, OK

I have been working at K12 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home. Great co-workers. Working with the students in mind and not "the test".

Cons

Pay below state average. Don't know anything about bonuses, raises, etc.

Expendable.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They paid okay and let you have over time when it was permitted.

Cons

They monitor your time for your breaks, when you use the bathroom almost like a concentration camp. You get points against you that they can review to punish you or terminate you if it gets bad. Don't be a person who drinks a lot of water or eats healthy. I haven't received my checks for my EA's or incentives yet. I have sent emails to the boss about my owed pay. Just a little upset about that because bills are not a joke. They have their jobs still and we were given this idea that our jobs were stable. Nate the CEO makes millions and the company made almost 900 million but they can't afford to pay the people to keep them who are the foundation of the company in sales or public side. You can't work an 8 to 5 because it is giving to people who have been there longer. So if you like an early shift expect working to 11pm or 9pm.

Stop being selfish this goes to Nate the CEO. How about you and upper management take a pay cut and distribute that to the people at the bottom. You gave jobs to Tennessee but the people in Northern Virginia are not important because you want to pay people in Tennessee less for more work. How would you feel if you lost your job knowing it was given to someone else after you work hours killing yourself being monitored like a communist country only to be told sorry we don't want to pay you but we can get another. It is not a matter of them not having the money to keep people because k12 has plenty of money. Just another cycle of corporate greed. I had a good view of k12 in the beginning until reality set in. Expendable.

So much potential, but lacking in vision, leadership, and following through in making the right choices

I have been working at K12 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Alot of opportunity for growth and career building. Company is still open to hearing and trying new ideas. Sense of contributing to improving virtual education. Promotes within to keep institutional knowledge and experience. Average to good benefits overall.

Cons

Some benefits are lacking, such as 401K, and capped time off at 80 hours regardless of seniority. Higher than average cost of health insurance. Difficult to take time off in high pace high demand environment, playing into work-life balance issues. Training and transfer of knowledge is not good. Poor morale overall and a general sense of frustration to not making significant forward progress over last several years in various areas of the company.

Improving some benefits would help morale some, but the main issues are investing in the right areas of the company, and listening to the employees from the schools on through to the corporate staff. More investment needs to be directed to implementing healthy and proper staffing and systems to support the demands and needs of our customers. Lack of accountability in leadership failing to meet deadlines, goals, and project success needs to be addressed. Focus on fixing major inefficiencies in various processes and systems which need to be revamped and up to date in order to continue to be competitive and successful in all areas of the business. Too much focus in on the end results and not the root problems of the models. For example, student retention vs. student success/achievement. More resources need to be focused to improving the systems and virtual/blended educational models in order to truly meet the marketed promise of "individualized education" as it needs to be in order for our students to be successful.

Document Processor

I have been working at K12 full-time

Pros

Great people in the company.

Cons

Departments need to have a better communication with one another to know what is going on in different areas.

K12 is a company with a fantastic mission, a solid employee base but is going through growing pains.

I have been working at K12 full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For someone who's not an educator it's extremely rewarding to be able to contribute to the education of our youth. The employee base is very well tenured, knowledgeable and hard working.

Cons

With the recent changes at the executive level the company has lost sight of it's long term vision and purpose in response to short term market concerns.

Take a step back, look at what made K12 successful in the first place and focus on students success. Profitability and efficiency can only be the primary focus when the core of your business is solid. It's not too late to make the right choices!

Lots of people doing lots of different things. Really just average overall

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at K12 as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Work at home
    Schedule is flexible
    Hire from within for promotions
    Solid staff and network of assistance
    New teacher training

Cons

Pay is below average
    "big" decisions seem to happen often and often feel like pendulum swing
    Too many cooks in the kitchen
    Not sure the curriculum was effective
    Huge gender bias

Promote diversity.
    Listen to comments coming from students and teachers.
    You don't need to change mid-stream so often. Pick a plan and stay with it for a while.

K12 Marketing Intern

Former Employee - Product Marketing Intern in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Intern in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn, growing company

Cons

culture is very disorganized, didn't have valuable projects to work on

Have solid projects from MBA interns to work on.

Frustrating

I worked at K12 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Passion for the company's mission and the ability to dramatically effect student and family lives.

Cons

Senior management that constantly changes direction and fails to communicate with employees; lack of appreciation and concern for employees.

Take some time to learn what is really going on with the business.