K12

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
2.4

Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature (in 32 reviews)

• Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is not supported, true school organization and functioning is missing (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management does not care about the families lower employees are assigned to help (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

great mission, poor communication and management

Former Employee - IT Manager in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work from home, cutting edge, making a difference in education, great people

Cons

so much reorganization, departments competing with one another rather than working together

communicate!

Long time teacher

I have been working at K12

Pros

Working at home, fkexible, awesome administration support.

Cons

Work is always there. Need to know when to turn off your computer for the day!

Transparency...

Plenty of work, low pay, zero respect

Current Employee - Coordinator in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at K12

Pros

Decent benefits - medical, dental, vision, and pto.

Cons

The company does not pay well. There is no room for advancement. Managers who are awful stay in place, while educated, excellent staff leave because there is no reason to stay. They're imploding because upper management is well-paid and oblivious, and all non-managers are underpaid and expected to actually implement the random, poorly thought-out ideas of inept managers.

Have employees provide reviews for their managers. Fire managers with consistently low reviews. Offer opportunities for advancement. Pay a decent wage, and hold onto the staff members who have good reviews, work hard, are educated and an asset to the company.

Overall positive experience, in recent years though culture and morale has diminished.

Former Employee - Director in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission, engaged customers, interesting problems to solve. Advancement opportunities for people who work hard and show leadership skills.

Cons

Increasing bureaucracy and politics, less people who are interested in getting things done. Virtually no direction or focus from upper management on aligning the company to common goals.

So far it is awesome!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12

Pros

Great work-life balance. :)
    Good salary!

Cons

None that I have experienced.

Keep up the good work.

Don't bother applying here

Current Employee - Personal Admissions Liaison in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Personal Admissions Liaison in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12

Pros

Helping kids, even though we have a terrible system that prevents us from doing so. Even families who call in think we are a mess.

Cons

Low pay, barely any bonuses. Management sucks! Friends promote friends. Terrible schedules some till midnight. Will have to work weekends used to be a fun environment but not anymore. Super strict. Point system if your late or call out. Can't use a sick day unless you let them know in advance a day before (like you will know if you are going to be sick) never approve vacation time they have black out months. Fire people left and right. Managers worry about petty things and drama. Unprofessional. All the managers have no experience in leading people since most are uneducated, and used to be servers at restaurants and got the job here and promoted by their friends. Always harassing you calling you if you call out. They try and make stupid spirit days that no one participates because everyone is stressed and your job is never secure. I mean you get written up if your 30 seconds over your break. Oh and if your hired contractors they are going to squeez the life out of you at work treating you like a slave only to fire you at the end of their busy season, even though they will promise you that if you are good you get to stay LIES! Oh ando if they give you a prize like a jacket, hat they take taxes out of your check so say no. And if you put your two weeks in they tell you to not bother showing up anymore. You are dispensable. Don't bother wSting your time at k12.

You should all be fired from your directors who do nothing in their offices but link (IM) all day to your managers that just lock themselves in their office watching football games and trying to find reSons to write up ppl and fire them. Or maybe if you actually worked and stopped being outside smoking all day??? But yet micromanage the rest of us. But then what can you expect from a bunch of rednecks with no education. Go back to working at restaurants. That's what you are good for.

Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at K12

Pros

Flexible Fun Stay involved in Education

Cons

Pay is low for the hours and work

Increase pay for better performance

Powerful mission with passionate employees who want to serve schools and families.

I have been working at K12

Pros

Beautiful mission: helping each student reach his or her true, personal potential.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover. The culture needs some improving.

Focus on improving culture and internal communications.

Good people

Former Employee - Illustrator in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Illustrator in McLean, VA

I worked at K12

Pros

Team environment, good people, good challenges

Cons

Long hours and not much else

Teacher

I have been working at K12 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Of course working from home and the flexibility in the time. Sometimes I run an errand in the AM and make up the work after dinner.

Cons

Things are CONSTANTLY changing. Corporate Management keeps sending stuff to local management (principals) for teachers. The expectations are extremely high and difficult to keep up with. Policies change every 6 months for teachers and students, so no one can keep up. The demand on students is RIDICULOUS. The company has it's hand in too many hats-they should have stuck with writing and selling their curriculum. I would never allow my student to attend a K12 school. The curriculum is fine, but the delivery is an absolute nightmare. Beware!

Quit getting into the online school business. Sell your curriculum, because that's your niche! Larger public schools and lawmakers will shut you down soon enough.