K12

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature (in 25 reviews)

• Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between participating schools and K12 (in 7 reviews)

• Communication from upper management could be better in certain divisions of the company (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good while it lasts

Online Teacher (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThe private schools allow teachers to set flexible hours, not just 9-5. You can also do Sunday through Thursday instead of the traditional workweek. Managers discourage teachers for working more than 40 hours a week, to avoid burn out. The curriculum department creates the lessons and being online removes teachers from the duty of policing behavior (gum chewing, tardiness, dress code, etc), so teachers are only responsible for grading and answering student questions. Many students respond really well to the online environment, and you form a better relationship with them than you would in a traditional classroom. Pay is good, but school is year-round so really it balances out. Working from home allows better time management.

ConsSince we are online and the curriculum is set up an an independent study, there is no opportunity to do fun stuff like cooperative learning or field trips. The curriculum department creates lessons in a one-size-fits all method for all K12 students, and modifying them is cumbersome and frowned upon. Student who go AWOL are hard to reach, and many parents don't understand technology and have difficulty monitoring their student's progress (or just can't be bothered). Getting promotions or raises is difficult because you have no interaction with coworkers, no opportunity to impress management or get to know them. NO CONTRACTS so people can and do disappear with zero advanced warning, just because someone with zero education background decided that they could do some cost cutting somewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more communication between faculty, curriculum, and admissions. Establish yearly contracts. Abandon traditional school concepts of "winter break" and "spring break" and instead increase vacation days. Interact more with teachers. Allow vacation days to accrue based on date of hire rather than the fiscal year and allow them to roll over - so we don't have everyone trying to to use up all their days in July, when we are busy with both the spring terms and summer school and prepping for the fall.

Company seems to be going downhill.. Shady practices

ProsWork environment is nice, flexible hours

ConsManagement is not really that forthcoming with their employees. Company utilizes a lot of contractors and constantly tells them they are trying to hire them, but they only care about the bottom dollar and will let you go in a heartbeat. Having worked in a few departments, I have seen this over and over. Constantly cutting corners, combining jobs and overworking contractors and employees, lying to employees, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen to anything

A Big Joke

Online Teacher (Former Employee) Maumee, OH

ProsAbout the only positive thing is the paycheck, which at least keeps you above poverty level. This place is a terrible place to work, with Big Brother looking over your shoulder every second. They will can you in a heartbeat. They have a difficult time retaining teachers and students.

ConsMoney is lousy, benefits not very good, people get fired for no valid reason, rules change all the time, management is invisible.
    Not a real school. It's the Fast Food of Education. Students pass without doing work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell your shares while you still can.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Troubling Atmosphere

Senior Manager Product Development (Current Employee)

ProsThe ELT team works hard to provide technology that is useful and easy for employees to use.

ConsThe company leadership has made choices that are hurting students and employees. Management only wants "yes mean." Even though the main funding for the company is public funding and the schools are created through partnerships with public entities, employees are not allowed to be forthcoming to government personnel. Management intentionally misleads public officials and instruct employees to mislead or stay silent. The content is not designed to teach the required standards but the management group misleads states into believing it is. State DOE's need to ask people below senior management for the facts.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to tell the truth.

Teacher - 4 years

Online Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsNot many - work from home is a plus, but you'll be working 12-16 hours a day, including nights and weekends. Enjoyed contact with students.

ConsDon't think that being an online teacher will be easier. It's not! Extremely low pay, high turnover in teachers and students. No contract, so people leave with no notice. Grueling long hours with no overtime. Stressed out, angry, overworked employees. Management constantly changing policies and duties they require of teachers. Teachers are expected to perform a multitude of secretarial/data keeping tasks which take up most of your time. High caseloads. Special ed teachers will write 90+ IEPs a year along with all the other duties teachers are required to do. Teachers also serve as advisors to a caseload of 40+ students and must have weekly contact by phone with students, many of which don't want to be contacted, so it's like chasing your tail. High pressure from admin to pass students, so teachers change course requirements and fudge grades enabling students to easily pass. Devaluing, meanspirited environment which encourages backbiting between employees. Emphasis on the dollar. Staff meetings focus on getting kids to pass classes and praises those teachers with high pass rates. No professional development. Evaluations center around student pass rates. Constant technology problems. K12 policy does not allow supervisors to give recommendations, which makes it difficult to get another teaching job. They do not promote from within so zero opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your teachers more. You're losing a lot of good people because of the awful work environment, low pay and heavy workload.

Great, then progressively worse.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone at this point. Don't know what else to say. Still some good people left. Perhaps something good will happen before they all hit the road.

ConsExec. Management. Devalued the employees. Stopped listening. Introduced a ton of bureaucracy. Hard to get things moving. Hard to care anymore.

Nice idea, poorly executed

ProsGood people who believe in what they're doing.

ConsDreadful communication. Poor quality control. Feels rudderless most of the time. Very resistant to change.

No loyalty or respect for the teachers.

Teacher (Former Employee) Murray, UT

ProsI got to work at home. I was also able to make good connects with the students and parents that decided to be attentive in the school. The actual teacher you work with, are the best in the state (but don't become too attached, the school doesn't like to keep around their good teachers).

ConsYou have to be rehired every year, and to be rehired you are judged on data that you may not know about until the end of the year, if at all. You will be assessed and evaluated on student progress, but students are not required to attend class. You will be told what to teach, and this will change on an almost monthly basis. Teachers, and mentors are not treated with respect. There is no loyalty in the company, and even though the administration would strongly disagree, they harbor an atmosphere of fear, and contempt. Each year is like roulette...will you be rehired or won't you? Even the best teachers fear for their jobs on a constant basis. Like all teachers you will put in over 40 hours a week, but you will be expected to spend more than your contracted 40 hours doing menial administrative tasks (like logging attendance, and calling truant students).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're teachers are the ones that make the school great. Treat them with the respect they deserve.

Horrible pay- awful training, and unpleasant work environment.

ProsOnly thing good is that I had some sidework at home.

ConsHORRIBLE Pay. Training is very lacking- never get an answer, just told to go to computer training session. Students enrolled are very low skilled and lacking- no engagement because they are the bottom of the barrel to start with.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a life- know that your certified teachers are worth a lot more than you are paying.

a challenge for passionate educators

Proswork from home, school schedule great for vacations with family

ConsThe new phenomenon of online schools means loads of conflict, uncertainty, and disorganization. It can be difficult to navigate the company's organizational structure when an issue arises to know who should handle the matter.

Advice to Senior Managementthe corporate mentality, emphasis on hitting numbers, and endless peripheral requirements placed on passionate educators

Worked for K12? Contribute to the Community!