K12 Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

HR Coordinator

I worked at K12 full-time

Pros

There are many great people there with experience and are willing to give you great advice in career advancement. C- level Management are amazing and they are very personable always there if you would like to reach out.

Cons

HR department is very cliqueish. Management is only looking out for themselves and will push you out at the first moment of you outshining them. They will delegate work to you, but take the credit and the bonus that comes with it.

Advice to Management

understand that sometimes being that close to each other is a way to trick the system than to actually work well. many folks were pushed out instead of actually leaving on their own accord because they didn't do the work and let others take credit.

Bought & Forgotten

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at K12 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I hear that some students benefitted from K12's programs and products. I had some good coworkers who worked hard and willingly under stressful conditions.

Cons

Disjointed, dysfunctional corporate family. Heavy pointless meeting culture. Bigwigs who started the company jumped ship. We never received any feedback from the actual students. Middle management afraid to make decisions, spend most of their time covering their own necks. The company I worked for was bought by K12. Instead of incorporating us into the larger company, we were left to figure things out on our own without much help. We felt like orphans. When my boss quit, nobody was hired or promoted to replace her.

Advice to Management

When hiring (especially upper and middle management), make sure you hire people who genuinely care about education and the well-being of students. And don't be afraid to hire employees with a track record of questioning established practices. Encourage positive teamwork!

3. K12 Enrollment

Pros

A lot of team bonding within enrollment

Cons

Not enough individual recognition for employees

Academic Administrator

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative teachers to work with who care about helping students succeed

Cons

Over worked and underpaid leads me to more stress

Advice to Management

Student to staff ratio is not allowing school to succeed with such a high turnover of students

6. Application Developer

Pros

Scope of work. One can work in multiple areas.

Cons

Need more flexibility for improving business process

Lots of changes, not all for the better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Close to home. Decent work/life balance.

Cons

Dysfunctional leadership that do not listen to their employees. My guess is the new leadership team is here to bleed the company for as much cash as they can and move onto another company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

Great business helping kids, lacks vision

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is pretty good depending on who you work for. Helping kids is rewarding. It's not a sweat shop, although there are peaks and valleys with school start time of year. The people are generally nice. Benefits are ok.

Cons

K12 can't decide if it's a technology company and a school or not. Lack of investment in infrastructure and highly talented technical staff. Ñeed to decide whether to build, buy or integrate. There is some blame game mentality in the culture, so everyone's covering themselves. Unecessary escalation is common, versus working together to resolve issues and conflicts. Failure is not an option although management tells the staff it is. No consistent, precise vision of where the company is going which leads to angst and frustration. People are unsure where they stand. Upward mobility is limited. Little to no promoting from within. HR is incompetent. ALL aspects, recruiting, benefits, support, on boarding. One of the worst HR departments I've experienced in my career.

Advice to Management

Decide if you want to be a high technology company. The in between thing is not going to work out. Invest in infrastructure and technical resources or integrate. Clear vision. Precise vision. And communicate it to the people. Implement the same processes across the enterprise or change processes. Having one part of the company using a process but not the business itself is a recipe for failure. Demand accountability for the business owners, not just point fingers and place blame. Fix HR. Modernize benefits.

9. like my job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN

I have been working at K12 (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with

Cons

Accruing "points" for absences not a good thing

Personal admissions Liaison

Pros

They had a work hard play hard culture. You can make good money with overtime benefits and the hiring process is pretty simple.

Cons

No clear career path to follow. Turnover is high because they hire anyone and everyone during busy season. This leads to good workers being unnoticed.

Advice to Management

I recommend you have a more attractive career. Also be more selective with who you hire. Lastly, get rid of the micro management culture.

Renewals

I worked at K12 part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They allow most employees to work from home. There are a lot of good products in which to sell and a lot of autonomy.

Cons

The commission plan is weak and never fully executed. The plan changes year after year and doesn't seem to be fair.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees the commission that they are due. Also quit changes the commission plan year after year.

RSS Feed </> Embed