K12 Reviews

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
2.4

Nate Davis

Pros
  • The flexibility of the job that allows me to work from home part of the time is the best feature (in 25 reviews)

• Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication between participating schools and K12 (in 7 reviews)

• Communication from upper management could be better in certain divisions of the company (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Internal Politics

I worked at K12 full-time

Pros

Extremely aggressive, higher only the best, exposure to leaders in industry, excellent products.

Cons

Cut throat when it comes to business and employees.

Be careful of coming across in the market as too blood thristy and greedy--aggressive is good, heartless is not.

Unrealized Potential

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Lots of good people
    * Except for product deployments, the work/life balance for software developers is good

Cons

* Management tries, but that's not to say they succeed
    * Not a place for those with ambitions
    * Too many managers considering the number of developers
    * Management focused on share price, not exploiting their early successes in what is becoming a competitive marketplace
    * Not much vision
    * Caretaking in place of Leadership

"Empowerment" doesn't mean what you think it means.

K12

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible with remote employees. A company with a purpose, and constant reminders that you are helping those in need of a better education.

Cons

LOBs work in silos and it is hard to with other teams as they like to claim their own work.

After a recent reorganization, the management team still has a lot of work to do in regards to making sure LOBs are not working in silos and need to work on creating a better corporate culture.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Changes needed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The overall mission of helping students is great. The idea of providing choices to students is admirable. Work time flexibility is nice.

Cons

The restructuring has been a disaster. Meetings are more like tug of war battles than productive work environments. If upper management figures out someone will work, instead of rewarding the employee, they assign so much work it causes burn out . Some of the strongest and hardest people to get along with were placed in the new division, product management.

Product Management is out of control on power trips. Define roles instead of letting people fight for positions amongst themselves. The only people who are going to stay are the loudest and bossiest. That is not going to lead to a well balanced company work pool. Look out for the people who just want to do their jobs and not fight for positions.

Inspired educational products designed to address the technological movement in America's education system.

Former Employee - Enrollment Consultant  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Consultant in Herndon, VA

I worked at K12 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fulfillment from helping families find the right educational pursuits for their children
    Incentives and upward movement within the company
    Fast paced and quality assurance driven work environment

Cons

Management shifts occur frequently without much communication
    Communication of tasks and training not always on par with expectations
    Obligation to work overtime not commensurate with wage

Communicate changes in a more efficient and respectful way

Lot's of chances to help kids

Current Employee - Online Teacher  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Online Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at K12 as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

One of the leaders for online education

Cons

Training is pretty boring and could be more interactive

Make the training more interactive

Low pay and limited hours for part time employees

Former Employee - Instructor  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at K12 part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home on your own time schedule.

Cons

Pay is very low for certified teachers. Hours are inconsistent.

Pay teachers what they are worth.

A great company on the rise

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

dedicated staff, experts in their field, a mission to believe in

Cons

pay not always most competitive

Interesting!

I have been working at K12

Pros

Working with the children and parents

Cons

Not being able to negotiate the pay!!!!

Great teachers and curriculum working 24/7 with low pay, wrapped up in unacceptable on-boarding and isolation.

Current Employee - Virtual Teacher
    Current Employee - Virtual Teacher

I have been working at K12 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great teachers and curriculum.

Cons

There is too much work accompanied by low pay and ridiculously long hours. There is no balance of life and work if the work is to be accomplished. There are more clerical duties as compared to teaching and helping students and their families.

The level of technical knowledge required to manage the classroom and troubleshoot computer issues at the same time as teaching is a sad state of affairs. Compiling and recording an unimaginable about of data with a large class size was certainly not in the interview or a sound teaching idea in general.

The interview questions of whether I could send and receive emails did not prepare me for the amount of real computer skills required, although I had more than that to offer. The on-boarding was left to my own wits, K12 supplied training, that I will mention soon, and another mentor fellow teacher that was already swamped with their own mountain of work.

The K12 training was supplied, but the first sessions were offered when we had no idea what they were talking about because of computer issues or a true idea of how this system would work because lack of experience in that environment. The teaching skills from the brick and mortar classroom to an online classroom do not transfer in the beginning days until that experience can be achieved by trial and error. Training was offered at the same time we were to meet with families to set up schedules of conferences. It was the most anxiety producing time of my life and I am a seasoned and good teacher.

When the time came to actually meet the students and families in the BBC it was trial by error or success. It was like being thrown in at the deep end of the pool and being expected to swim or drown. When I did mention the lack of training and on-boarding I was told by other faculty that this is how it is and your experience is no different or to be regarded as it will not change. In other words, suck it up and just do it because there is no help in sight. They are right. There is no help, just more work. If you go too far to the top to complain the vindictive spirit of the head administrator can sting. If there is too much talk of wanting to have it change you might not be looked on as a team player because, "we are teachers and we do it for the kids". Since when is wanting a good work environment not good for the kids?

The management right above me is stretched to the limit and although they are sympathetic and kind, could not change anything about my experience. If they could they would have. They have no real power. They are caught between their corporate pressure to produce data and gaining more students than caring for the making of life long learners and teachers who are overworked and underpaid. The head of the school is only interested in data and numbers and how many students are retained. They are not interested in meeting new faculty or going out of their way to assist them. I don't feel that they think that is their job. Their job is data. Data to them is more important than people.

The employee handbook does not match the provided contract or what is agreed upon in the interview. This virtual school as a part of a state public school does not match the same calendar time required and is far off that pay scale. They have taken away the internet stipend given to the teachers to work from home. Yes, we get a paycheck and healthcare benefit, but taking in account the experience and the education that these wonderful teachers bring to their job, it is a poor way to be treated.

Treat your wonderful teachers and staff with what they deserve. Without them you have no school, you will just have students with no one, but a bunch of data. Just because you can get away with it doesn't make it right. Treat others the way you would want to be treated. That would take you a long way.

Worked for K12? Contribute to the Community!