KAG West

Updated Jan 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dennis Nash

Best job, boss, and colleagues to work for!

Claims Administrator (Former Employee)
West Sacramento, CA

I worked at KAG West full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEveryone is positive, upbeat, helpful. Very generous with time off when family emergency arose.

ConsThere are no cons to this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Great Company to work for; employee-oriented

Tanker Truck Driver (Former Employee)
West Sacramento, CA

I worked at KAG West

ProsFlexible schedule, great pay. Management is responsive and interactive with all employees. Great bonus incentives. Close knit work group, most have been there for over 10 yrs.

ConsThere's not alot of bad to say about KAG West, but I guess the one thing would be that their headquarters in OH micromanages company too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micro-managing, more latitude for employees to demonstrate their own competency when completing a task. Understand unforeseen obstacles preventing a timely delivery.

Treated like dogs...

Driver/Trainer (Former Employee)
Martinez, CA

I worked at KAG West

ProsIf you need a paycheck would be the only reason to work here.

ConsThis company has a lot of Cons. Management should be ashamed of the way they treat the drivers. They think of you as a number not a person. When it comes time to get a vacation, there are not enough spots to allow drivers to get time off. They offer no sick leave. If you do call in sick the dispatchers will retaliate against you by parking you. I called in sick one this one time in about two years and was told if I didn't come in I would be parked a few more days. You can not get the time off if you need to attend personal business, or in family emergencies. If you work a holiday you get pay. If your shift is off on a holiday you DO NOT get the pay, even CHRISTMAS!!! You have no choice to work over time. If you refuse to work over 12 hours they park you. Drivers put in extra hours a day without pay. You are expected to do your pre-trip, paper work and even clean the truck on your own time. Drivers are not allowed to take a break. I should say a paid break. If you work over 12 hours you still don't get a paid break. There is no overtime pay. Everything is strait time. There are a lot of other fuel companies to work for. STAY AWAY from KAG West!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating driver like people. Drivers are people!!! Give them the vacation time they have earned. Mr. Nash takes a vacation, I'm sure. Why cant driver have a paid break? If you hae to use the rest room you don't get paid.

Love this job

Driver (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at KAG West

ProsEvery day is different never know where you will go.Enjoy the people around me.When there is work there is more money to be made.Best paying job for me.Trucks washed weekly wich is nice.Looking at other tankers we have the best looking fleet by far.

ConsWhen works slows down they tend to park you about every two weeks or so

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great job,and maybe you should visit the west coast terminals and meet some of your drivers.

MAYDAY! MAYDAY!

Former Driver (Former Employee)
Bakersfield, CA

I worked at KAG West

ProsNone anymore. It used to be a great place to spend a decade or two.

ConsI worked at this company for a long tme, and like many others, had to leave when it became obvious that more than the name of "Beneto" had left. The work just went away and never came back, yet the other petroleum hauler that parks at this facility always seems to be busy. Something smells for sure. The new owner (Kenan Advantage Group) doesn't seem to be interested in drumming up new business. Frontline management used to be drawn from experienced line employees that know what goes on out in the field, but no longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they have not noticed by now, I doubt I could say anything that would matter.

A real diamond in the rough

Driver (Current Employee)
Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at KAG West

ProsPay and benefits are comparable with the industry leaders in the petroleum hauling business. Several termials allow for transfers. Owned by a national company (Kenan Advantage Group of Canton Ohio). Company goes to pretty decent lengths to keep you busy, but sometimes that means extended time away from your home terminal to one that needs help. Good equipment with a great maintenance schedule. Very safety oriented company.

ConsOwned by a national company - read that as "investors". KAG West's GM is a really decent fellow, but he eventually has to dance to the tune of the big owners. When the company was owned by Steve Beneto, it was understood that sometimes you have to lose money in the short term to make a lot in the long term. The investors owing this place will cut off a money loser in a shot - even if it cuts the nose right off their face. Bakersfield went from 20+ trucks and 50 drivers, to around 5 trucks and 15 drivers since Kenan took over. Not all of that is Kenans fault, but they seem to have surrendered this areas markets to their competetors. Dispatch is located 130 miles from this area, and they seemingly don't care. Many potential customers choose other carriers simply because other carriers will answer their phone. Several managers have zero experience or field knowledge or the petroleum delivery business. Little indvidual recognition for a job well-done.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people who know the nuts and bolt, sweat and filth end of the business if possible. Expand the Long Beach dispatch office to include people who know the areas that are not currently being adequately serviced - this is a snap in the work-at-home age. There needs for be more recognition for the jobs well done in the little things. Nothing fancy - just a "Pat On The Back" award or something to show that somebody is paying attention when things go right.

Worked for KAG West? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KAG West reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KAG West CEO Dennis Nash. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by KAG West employees.