KB Home

www.kbhome.com

KB Home Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
KB Home – Los Angeles – “Street view of the KB Home headquarter office…”

KB Home President, CEO, and Director Jeff Mezger

Jeff Mezger

Pros
  • Very good training program both in product training and in Sales skill set training(in 6 reviews)

• Great place to learn if you want to get started in the business(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • High pressure, micromanaged, long hours, no work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• The Raleigh division unfortunately was vary disorganized at the local level(in 3 reviews)

Demanding, but they paid you in return.

DUP Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsRewarded you for good work. Good opportunity for advancement if you are willing to relocate.

ConsLong hours, demanding workload. Subject to market downturn. Regional offices managed very differently. Some nepotism.

Sales Counselor

New Home Sales Counselor (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat room for large salary

ConsTraining program was poor and unhelpful

Enlightening

Senior Director (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsTheir business model is one of the very best, and this leads to clear communication, top-to-bottom.

ConsPay is good, people are good to you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would do it again in a heart beat.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

KB Home

Superintendent (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsLarge brand recognition, national contracts.

ConsManagement really depends on the division.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire stronger leaders.

Atlanta office was horrible place to work. Lack of experienced management.

New Home Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBenefit package was very good.

ConsScripted sales routine. You were secretly video taped to make sure you followed the script, Didn't allow for any personalization. Always felt big brother was watching. Had to be a dressed up robot. Many of our sales managers never sold a house or had a RE license. Promotions were given to favoritism. No wonder this was one of the first offices to close.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere wasn't any while I was there. Everyone was jumping ship.

Worth the exsperience

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBase (draw); good hr department; money to help w/ personal marketing; get benefits

ConsNo work life balance; takes to long to collect commission check; mortgage process is terrible

Overall, a decent place to work

Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsLots of opportunities to learn and gain new skills. Pretty flexible schedules and telecommuting options. Employee discounts with some suppliers. Most co-workers are friendly and competent. Some interesting product developments and partnerships (e.g. Martha Stewart, green/ solar homes, etc)

ConsVery archaic HR policies. IT systems don't "talk" to each other, so it can be difficult/ time consuming to get to information you need. Economic downturn has resulted in the loss of a lot of the little perks. "Training" modules online that are either irrelevant or so obvious that you wonder why anyone needs to be "trained" on it. Hiring process can be lengthy, with a series of tests.

Advice to Senior ManagementBank of time off days that could be used at employees' discretion. Stock options for lower level employees. Better IT systems that "talk" to each other.

Great Opportunity if the market holds up

New Home Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFantastic opportunity to make great money if the housing community remains good

ConsBase salary is very low and makes starting out very hard

Great people

Acquisition Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis company articulated a business strategy and executed the strategy. I had a good experience with the whole group in.

ConsThe career path can be unpredictable given the nature of the single-family home industry. Timing is the key in this business, and you can't control that.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne thing missing from KB Home is alumni relations. There is no effort on the company's part that I am aware of to keep in touch with people.

Exceeded my expectations

New Home Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat benefits package.... Excellent training program.... Employees are given every opportunity to suceed... Best product for the price in the market, easy to sell. Management does a good job researching the competition and positioning the product well in order to succeed.

ConsNot having the ability to control your marketing efforts for the submarkets.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually follow through with the ideas that are great and let the individual in the field have more control over what they need to compete.

Worked for KB Home? Contribute to the Community!