KB Home
www.kbhome.com Los Angeles, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

KB Home Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
KB Home – Los Angeles – “Street view of the KB Home headquarter office…”

KB Home President, CEO, and Director Jeff Mezger

Jeff Mezger

Pros:
  • "Very good training program both in product training and in Sales skill set training"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great place to learn if you want to get started in the business"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "High pressure, micromanaged, long hours, no work life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "The Raleigh division unfortunately was vary disorganized at the local level"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work work environment of my life

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCoworkers were some of the best people.

ConsManagement doesn't know what the workload is like for "lower employees". Everyone is overworked and underpaid. Each person they call a coordinator for the different departments is a fancy way of saying whipping post or flunky. Decisions are made with in a knee jerk way and they are reactive instead of proactive. I've never worked somewhere that constantly piles on the work yet tells you they are unhappy with your performance but in the next breath they ask you to write a job description of what you do. How can you be unhappy with my performance if you don't even know what I do? The reason they don't know what anyone does around there is because the turnover is so high they just put people in chairs and tell them to get to work. There's no training or explanation about what to do because there hasn't been anybody there long enough to know what to do. Management runs around barking orders and expects everyone to bow in front of them like everyone else is beneath them. I had the same role the entire time I worked there but at one point I was doing manual labor like moving furniture every week for the sales meetings. It wasn't until I put my foot down and said that I could no longer move furniture that they hired someone to do it. What makes this so comical is that the time it took me to move furniture every week wasn't taken into consideration for my other duties. So I would get asked why I didn't get other things done. I wanted to scream and say it's because I WAS MOVING FURNITURE! I did everything from fetch breakfast and lunch to payroll functions and complex data analysis for pennies. My salary wasn't equal to the things I was asked to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink long and hard about the things you ask employees to do before you make a decision. Stop changing things like the wind. Make a decision and stick with it. Instead of having morale boosting barbecues in the parking lot every 90 days, pay the employees more money.

Most difficult working experience in my career.

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsWhen I worked there, salaries were above market.

ConsDeceitful and deceptive management and culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're only as good as your word. Learn it. Live it.

Most unorganized company ever!

New Home Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGave draw against commission so you had some money.person.

ConsThey continuously moved you around so that you couldn't collect your commission because you had to turn your sales over to the next sales person. Management jumped shipped as fast as they could so you didn't know who was your supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet experienced people who want to do good for the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Atlanta office was horrible place to work. Lack of experienced management.

New Home Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsBenefit package was very good.

ConsScripted sales routine. You were secretly video taped to make sure you followed the script, Didn't allow for any personalization. Always felt big brother was watching. Had to be a dressed up robot. Many of our sales managers never sold a house or had a RE license. Promotions were given to favoritism. No wonder this was one of the first offices to close.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere wasn't any while I was there. Everyone was jumping ship.

Beware before saying yes...ask questions and get answers before you're in.

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Lancaster, CA

ProsThere are some very small rewards but the cons outweigh the pros

ConsLots, forget about your family life, KB will be your life. Favoritism, lack of respect for its sales force. Promotes an unhealthy working environment amongst sales partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your sales people, take them seriously, show respect, consideration and true appreciation. Cut the favoritism and the back stabbing, be honest with them and adequate compensation for hard work and show loyalty to your people.

If you are going to work for this company, beware of your supervisors.

Warranty Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits were about the only good thing about this company. If they followed through with all the promises they make, there would be a lot to say here. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Consdishonest policies and management, unrealistic expectations, lack of support when needed....i could go on for days

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe McDonalds would be a better place for you

LACK OF ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES!!!!!!

Disgruntled Employee (Current Employee)

ProsThe best reason unfortunately is the benefits and that is about it

ConsThe downsides I would have to say are lack of advancement opportunities at least in my division and the way they go about internally promoting. You never know the job was even available it is never posted. Right now it is nothing they can do about it but to current market has caused a lot of strain as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementVALUE YOUR EMPLOYEES BECAUSE THEIR VOICE MATTERS AS WELL. DON'T WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE ABOUT TO WALK OUT THE DOOR BEFORE YOU WANT TO PROPERLY COMPENSATE THEM.

SALESPEOPLE BEWARE

New Home Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsThe company does seem to strive to satisfy it's 'external' clientele. I never had an experience where a customer's legitimate complaint or concerned was not addressed and remedied. The incredible disconnect between this mode of operation and the obvious lack of concern for employees is baffling.

ConsA horrible environment for sales people. Long hours and absolutely no concern for an employees desire to balance or even have a personal life. Senior management is openly hostile towards salespeople and would certainly replace them with robots if the opportunity existed. It is an exhausting place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long look at your sales corp...the incredible turnover rate should speak volumes but you seem to not to care.

KB Home, a great place for liars to work.

New Home Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsGreat training program, 401k, uniforms.

ConsThe compensation not equal to responsibility. Sales reps are responsible for generating almost all of their own traffic, getting all needed documents for home loan counselor, calling buyers to check on loan status, scheduling all appointments from contract to close. The only holidays the sales offices are closed is Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day and New years day. Management only communicates to ask how many sales you have for the week and if you don't have any, they don't care enough to ask why. They somehow overlook the dishonest sales reps, because as long as they are making sales, KB doesn't care WHAT the sales rep lied to the buyer about, as it is clearly stated in the contract that they can not be held liable for anything that the sales rep said. The employees talk trash about each other, sales managers talk trash about sales reps in front of other sales reps(from different properties).

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they know the company has a high turn over, and they know why.....they just don't care, as long as they are getting a paycheck.

Ok Company. Lacks innovation. Quick to hire and fire.

Forward Planner (Former Employee)

ProsGood Salaries and decent benefits. They do a good job of corporate branding and team building.

ConsIt is an economic home builder that wants to crank out economic houses for good margins. There is nothing wrong with this, but it feels more like an assembly line rather than a premier developer. Corporate executives make decisions on local communities even though they lack micro economic knowledge on these metros. Decisions are often made like high frequency wall street traders....in essence if executives read a headline that the home market is slowing they could be firing, if they read a headline that says otherwise they will hire. So basically there is not a lot of stability or long-term strategy. It is make a profit quickly at any expense. They are not thinking of 5 or 10 years from now.

Worked for KB Home? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KB Home reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KB Home CEO Jeff Mezger. All 67 reviews posted anonymously by KB Home employees.