KBR Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated August 19, 2014

3.7

KBR Chairman, President & CEO Bill Utt
Bill Utt

Pros
  • experienced colleagues, good location, good work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Supportive work environment - many of my closest friends are ones I worked for/with over the years (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Good old boy syndrome (buddies and relatives), Health benefits could be better (in 6 reviews)

• The bureaucracy is high and the lack of communication between heads of departments sometimes causes lots of issues (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pretty relaxed and comfortable work environment.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Professional - Structural  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Professional - Structural in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment, nice people, reasonable salary, paid overtime, downtown location, challenging projects, travel opportunities.

Cons

Not really to many that I can think of, PPR can be a little annoying, and the red tape can get in the way at times, but patience is a virtue.

Take one more risk and win those big jobs!

In my experience, KBR is the best in what they do, and I have been very proud to represent them.

Current Employee - Business Segment Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Segment Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Safety is their #1 priority. As an engineering, construction, and services company, they "get it" and walk-the-talk. Leadership takes care of their employees, and do their best to provide opportunities for those who are loyal and stick with them. I sincerely feel they are the best at what they do. i have found them to be a company who values and displays high integrity, delivers top quality, on time, and in a safe environment in all circumstances.

Cons

Thier business is project based, so while long-term employement cannot be a guarantee, they remember their dedicated and loyal employees, and call them back.

Listen to those who do the work and own their AROs.

Good Company, Excellent Workplace, Nice place to work if you are looking for opportunities abroad.

Former Employee - Subcontracts Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The workplace is nice, I made very good and true friends there. I had a chance to work for them in different countries and this is good for improving the experience.

Cons

The salary is OK comparing to the market. There are no bonus, just the regular and basic benefits. The Human Resources is not supportive when you need them most. If you are an Engineer or in Management the treatment is totally different. No equal opportunities, if you are a woman, good luck.

I was always looking for additional training outside the company during the time I spent there but I did not have any opportunity and motivation from Management. I was the one motivating myself.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

KBR is a great place to work, but no company is perfect.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

KBR is a good company to work for. The 9/80 alternative work week schedule is a plus, and if your manager is flexible, they will allow you to make up a Friday if you end up having to work on your scheduled Friday off.

Cons

There appears not to be alot of available cross-training, and professional development available to employees. Many employees will work in the same group, or even position for 10 plus years, and some are rarely even promoted. While this may be ok for some, this is not ok for others.

Promote from within!! There are several talented individuals within the company that are strong contributors, and that are extremely intelligent. It sends a bad message when someone from the outside is brought in over another loyal employee whose promotion is long overdue.

G&I: Dumb and Dumber meets Gomer Pyle

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I'm sure there are many good reasons to work for KBR, but you will need to work for another division to experience it.

Cons

This is merely one division of KBR and what a doozy. If you are ex-military or a blood relative of an employee, you'll do great. If not, pass. You can do better working for a competitor if this is really the type of work you want to do.

Hire business analysts to come in and do a thorough examination of your business and hiring practices. Better yet, outsource your hiring since nepotism couldn't occur if someone from the outside hired your "cousin Jimmy". Are these words from a disgruntled ex-employee? No, I loved 7 of my 8 years. But I had to fight against the popular vote many, many times to take an ethical stand against what was occurring.

exciting

Former Employee - Transportation Foreman  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation Foreman in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

huge company plenty of room to grow

Cons

some jobs may be is war zones

none

Retention of valuable employees

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with and everyone is always willing to help especially in UK group.

Cons

Lack of opportunities for advancement due to lack of revenue growth. Do not promote the right people in many cases.

Compensation needs to be more competitive with Market and invest more in people resources

Great if you like structure

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Benefits; well structured; stable

Cons

Lots of people and clicks from people being there for years. its hard to be comfortable working in their environment.

Stay Neutral and just stick to the facts.

Just another Job.

Current Employee - Clerical  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Clerical in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed environment. Company is very safety conscious.

Cons

No advancement and must follow every rule. Company plays favorites. Job pays the bills, nothing more.

Compensation is the most important thing for a job like this. Negociate compensation up front.

nice colleagues to work with

Former Employee - Technical Professional Process Engineering  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Professional Process Engineering in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional people to work with

Cons

Company wide HR performance review became a routine that management did not seem to look at all

Worked for KBR? Contribute to the Community!