KBR

KBR Chairman, President & CEO Bill Utt

Bill Utt

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The best company I ever worked for. A great experience

Senior Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Baghdad (Iraq)

ProsKBR as far as I'm concerned really cares for it's employees well being. I contracted overseas and in addition to the standard things you would think would be provided like food, lodging and medical care; there was an always available HR department and numerous benefits for employees and families

ConsI would not necessarily consider this a con; but as with any company that is the size of KBR, there is a certain amount of red tape one must go through to learn the system. But with help from colleagues and a good attitude it's not a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Management: For the most part I had great managers. One in particular was a bit overbearing and seemed a bit unreasonable in his expectations. Years later he apologized for this and attributed his behavior to stress...which I can definitely understand.

I enjoyed the 3 plus years I worked for KBR.

Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee)
    Baghdad (Iraq)

ProsIf you really are interested and motivated you can advance in any field within this company. I worked with some really good leaders at KBR.

ConsKBR has most of their work overseas so if you want to stay at home in the U.S. you have to live in certain regions of the country to even have a chance to work for them.

It was a wonderful experience.

Material Control Specialist (Former Employee)
    Baghdad (Iraq)

ProsThe pay was great, and also the experience that was gained.

ConsThe length of vacation time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accountant

Accountant (Former Employee)
    Mosul (Iraq)

ProsI was in the LOGCAP III Middle East project in Iraq. KBR did fantastic in the project compared to other contractors. The living condition was as good as the best of them and the working environment was very good.

ConsNothing to say about cons.

My experiences with KBR was great. Solid foundation to work for.

Senior Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Balad (Iraq)

ProsWorking for KBR provided life long job skills. KBR helped me understand logistics and product moving. Every logistics company needs this skill set for success.

ConsLong hours (but you sigh a contract stating you understand). I really don't have any cons about KRB

Not a great company, but it is great work.

Billeting Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Baghdad (Iraq)

ProsIf you like working with the military, it is great. If you don't mind the danger of working in war zones, the pay is great. You get a lot of quality vacation time.

ConsYou have to work a minimum of 84 hours a week. The company suffers from severe nepotism. If you are not from Texas, you will likely find it difficult to advance (but not impossible). Management is usually unqualified and inexperienced. Management resorts to threats of firing at the drop of a hat, and mostly for offenses you have not even thought of doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people you know and hire people who are qualified. Look outside of Texas once in awhile.

Use them, because you will be used.

Assistant Fire Chief (Former Employee)
    Baghdad (Iraq)

ProsGreat compensation, no benefits for contractors but great to use as a stepping stone to gain experience or secure a stable financial future.

ConsLong term there is not much benefit to stay with the company, only to follow the money; but don't expect to be valued or rewarded for performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward long term exceptional service to include granting future work and change to permanent status.

Great company and hated to leave!

Heavy Truck Operator (Former Employee)
    Baghdad (Iraq)

ProsGreat pay and outstanding travel opportunities!

ConsNone really. The work location was in Iraq and Kuwait which means a big adjustment had to be made.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers had issues...but it's about average for a company this size. Some are excellent and some are not.

HR Senior Travel Coordinator

Human Resources Senior Travel Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Baghdad (Iraq)

ProsPay was great and while overseas tax free to up a certain point. Great way to save money with next to nothing for costs of living expenses needed. Travel for vacation every 4 months (2 weeks at a time) allowed me to see a lot of the world.

ConsManagement is very hit or miss. If you can get into a good department with a professional manager over you, stay. If not your contract will be a long miserable one for the year. I worked the first 10 months in MHE and quickly found out it was just a good old-boy system in that department. Transfered out and got into HR and realized it was completely different to work with people who are professional and have your back on issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using the good old-boy system to hire and promote people. I'd say about half of the senior level personal were clueless on dealing with employees, thinking for themselves and and doing nothing more then drawing a check each month.

Great pay, poor conditions

Heavy Truck Driver (Former Employee)
    Baghdad (Iraq)

ProsKBR/seii was a prime contractor during the Iraq war and is currently providing services to the US State Dept in that country. During the war the pay was good, averaging about twice the average pay of a similar job in the States. The average work week is currently 6 days per week, 12 hours per day.

ConsWhile the pay is still above average, there is no premium attached to hours worked over the US standard 40 hour work week. All hours worked are paid as straight time. Most of the boost in income is a product of the long hours. If it weren't for the 72 hour work week the pay would be about average. Also the living conditions are less than ideal. Most employees are housed in a room in a containerized housing unit which measures about 12'x14'. There are a number of restrictions on the activities you may engage in. No cooking in the rooms, no smoking and no alcohol to name a few. You are also forbidden from leaving base to explore the surrounding area, though that would likely be a foolish move in countries like Iraq or Afghanistan even if it were permitted.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe conditions in the Middle East and Afghanistan are always difficult and often dangerous. The jobs require extended separation from home and family that often takes a toll on marriages and other relationships. This all appears unavoidable. But a increase in base pay or greater compensation for hours worked over 40 and a decreased emphasis on micromanaging both the work time and off duty time of your employees and subcontractors can compensate for a lot of the hardship.

Worked for KBR? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KBR reviews and ratings in Iraq — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KBR CEO Bill Utt. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by KBR employees.