KCTS Television Reviews

CEO

1. Sr. HR Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at KCTS Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are passionate about the mission of the organization.

Cons

People are wary of the leadership and the direction they are taking the organization

Advice to Management

transparency and communication

There is lack of leadership at the top.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at KCTS Television full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good colleagues that believe in the mission and work hard to fulfill that.

Cons

Senior management is old school and there was no flexibility in the work schedule. They have a lot of meetings and it appears that no action is ever taken. They say they are transparent, but we are often left surprised when they finally make a decision.

Advice to Management

They need to consider what the staff think. They need to understand that we are also a part of the team and together we can work better.

Put the Public Back in Public TV

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at KCTS Television full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The PBS brand, some very talented staff, people there who believe in the mission, appreciative community, good location.

Cons

Mysterious board "leadership," poor management, hostile "people and culture," tight resources, lack of diversity.

Advice to Management

About a third of the staff has turned over in the past year. What's wrong with this picture? Instead, a third of the board should have turned over. The past year has been brutal. No one is sure why all the changes have taken place, or why they continue.

Becoming too Corporate

I have been working at KCTS Television (More than 5 years)

Pros

somewhat flexible environment, some of the benefits are rather good; such as vacation, do have a 401k

Cons

Major disconnect with management. We have a H/R named People & Culture who wants to win "WA best place to work" and spends tons of time and energy studying and discussing the metrics. The most important metric left out of the study is why about 30% of the workforce has been managed out or has left in the past year. Net loss of about 20 workers remains out of less than 100 total. You can't have both- overall happiness never mind best happiness, when at the same time many people are afraid for their job or highly turned off by recent re-orgs. I think that previous mgmt. had some faults, no one is perfect, but a Management without empathy in a non-profit doesn't have much going for it. Salaries at the top are too high relative to others.

Advice to Management

Deal with the main challenge of digital convergence to the business model of television or you are out of business soon. No one seems to take this seriously- maybe cushy and "not their problem"? Deal with the elephant in the room of lay-offs before you complain about "why" people might be unhappy. Be more respectful of the whole population that you serve and be grateful for it.

Lacking mission

I have been working at KCTS Television full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The staff are some of the most amazing people. Most employees have the benefit of low expectations. Many employee parties.

Cons

Company is not really run like a non-profit. The culture and mission no longer seem to align with PBS mission.

Bad Management

Former Employee - Producer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Producer in Seattle, WA

I worked at KCTS Television full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a Public Television Station so there is potential to serve the community but they always seem to veer into British non-local programming.

Cons

They never live up to their potential and squander their resources. Management is not transparent. Always doing fund drives- where does the money go?

Advice to Management

Be more open. Engage more with the community. Be more accountable.

Great mission and impact

Current Employee - Programming in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Programming in Seattle, WA

I have been working at KCTS Television full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PBS is still so popular-- you are part of something special. There are many changes underway, so it's an exciting time. Opportunities to be creative.

Cons

Very tight budgets, and efficiencies. It's not getting any easier for nonprofits and public broadcasters.

Advice to Management

Find ways to grow the organization; recruit more creative talents; eliminate old ways of doing things.

9. Not for a go-getter

Pros

Easy, low expectations, slow-pace, non-competitive, independence in roles.

Cons

Everyone is underpaid except for upper management, who are paid more than "for profits" in their roles yet do far less managing. Focus is not on the organization or its mission, and more on the board, and big donors. Nobody is minding the store and it shows in most of their products. There are no performance incentives, so most people who are performance-based leave for greener pastures, or stop caring. Expect interns to do the heavy lifting on projects and not the actual employees. As long as you please their priorities they will be happy, however if you step out of the mold and accomplishes good things, you may be seen as a threat and targeted, or simply undermined by others who will try to take credit for your work. Expect simple projects that would take weeks somewhere else to take months, and if you enjoy being in unproductive meetings constantly, living in the 1990's, and working at your leisure at a snails pace, this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Do more for the organization, and award people who perform and innovate with raises or more responsibilities.

Superb Internship Program

Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at KCTS Television (Less than a year)

Pros

KCTS 9 treats its interns like members of the team. You are valued both as a talented young professional and as an individual, and you will be given meaningful work that will be utilized and/or published. So many opportunities to learn about different aspects of the company!

Cons

Although upper-level management is very kind, interns have virtually no contact with them.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Friendly atmosphere, great place to work.

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at KCTS Television full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a lot of great colleagues that are all working for the public service television mission. We have great programming which made it fun to work. I have been in marketing a long time, but as my first television job, I enjoyed watching television while working. They have good medical and dental benefits as a non-profit.

Cons

As in any workplace, there are a lot of office politics. I think that management have a lot of meetings and wish they could be more transparent on our vision.

Advice to Management

They are doing a good job, but there is tough competition.

RSS Feed </> Embed