KEYW Reviews

KEYW Chairman, President, and CEO Leonard E. Moodispaw
Leonard E. Moodispaw

Good company

I have been working at KEYW full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's a lot of genuine personality with the management. They never seem like over-worked automatons. The benefits package is top-notch, including tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Training opportunities are somewhat slim.

Great company experiencing some growing pains

I worked at KEYW full-time

Pros

Benefits are amazing, contracts are usually exciting and fulfilling. There is a lot of focus on providing for the employees, through morale building events, training, giveaways, etc. The compensation is often very good, however that is sometimes dependent on accepted/proposed rates for contracts (if you are direct).

Cons

Communication can be difficult if you are active on a contract, which could be said for just about any other company. The company went through a significant growth spurt through acquisition recently, keeping most of the senior staff from it's acquisitions. You'll find a lot of Program Managers, Project Managers, Coordinators, Directors and other management elements working independently, sometimes with little-to-no involvement or knowledge of "the big picture". There is certainly an "in" group there which consists of a lot of friends or family of management and a significant amount of effort should be placed in determining who is immune and who you shouldn't upset if you want to work the politics of the office and get responses and assistance - VERY frustrating.

Team less and Prime more.

The company should be begin framing it's future for organic growth and take on the technical leadership role that is has grown into. Take a long hard look at who you have elected to lead your elements and examine their technical understanding and general common sense.

Great work culture, a little bit disorganized

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at KEYW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment -- everyone is very talented but also friendly and laid back. Fantastic benefits and perks! The Christmas party is always really fun and has awesome food + open bar!

Cons

Based on my experience and others', sometimes they'll hire someone and not have a placement for them right away; it seems like the hiring process is a bit disorganized.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top workplace in 2013

I have been working at KEYW

Pros

Benefits, corporate culture, and support of work life balance

Cons

More career options for people with a polygraph

Excellent Culture

I have been working at KEYW

Pros

Everyone at the company was very professional.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

Best place to work in the Baltimore Washington corridor

Current Employee - Project Manager Technical III
    Current Employee - Project Manager Technical III

I have been working at KEYW full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very professional and skilled employees.

Cons

I really have nothing to say in this area. It was a good ride. I look forward to coming back.

Worked there for one year after buyout. Left for better pay/working conditions at a competing company.

I worked at KEYW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary and industry standard benefits.

Cons

Disconnected senior management focused on stock price.

Meh...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I worked at KEYW full-time for more than a year

Pros

The coworkers- I genuinely enjoyed my work associates

Cons

Terrible communications
    Company sends out too many promo items... I'd rather have a conversation or paid training luncheon instead of the 'stuff'

Trim the fat. Don't wait for the good, talented people to get fed up and leave you.

Overhyped and under deliver to their employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time

Pros

Benefits- Great 401K match, healthcare, company events

Cons

Very unprofessional, misleading, questionable ethics, abundance of obscenities and attacks on individuals, no real structure to anything (just wing it mentality), lack of communication

Communicate to your employees, setup some real processes and procedures, treat individuals with respect, and use more professional language in business meetings

Model Company

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing benefits to include inexpensive health care, unparalleled 401K, generous PTO and tons of Morale boosting perks. Strong reputation for excellence in performance. Large company with agile response to clients needs. Willing to take risks based in common sense that would take companies of similar size months of policy review and change to execute.

Cons

Most of the company's strengths revolve extremely specialized needs and complex customer problems - in short, not always the cheapest of missions to execute successfully. This sometimes puts KEYw at a disadvantage in competitive markets where the customer is willing to sacrifice quality for a best value solution. In my opinion, KEYW is not a good company for capturing competitive contracts when the Government is in financial turmoil. Not exactly a weakness, but it's business revolves around timing capture efforts with extreme strategy. Also, there is no centralized business development group, which means as a manager, you will need to be creative and versed in business development to progress in your career.

A lot of emphasis is placed on maintaining low overhead costs by working in a flat environment. This sometimes puts pressure on managers to bite off more than they can handle in order to prove their worth. Remember to delegate, divide and conquer.

Worked for KEYW? Contribute to the Community!