KEYW

3.8

KEYW Chairman, President, and CEO Leonard E. Moodispaw
Leonard E. Moodispaw

Excellent Culture

I have been working at KEYW

Pros

Everyone at the company was very professional.

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

Best place to work in the Baltimore Washington corridor

Current Employee - Project Manager Technical III
    Current Employee - Project Manager Technical III

I have been working at KEYW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional and skilled employees.

Cons

I really have nothing to say in this area. It was a good ride. I look forward to coming back.

Model Company

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing benefits to include inexpensive health care, unparalleled 401K, generous PTO and tons of Morale boosting perks. Strong reputation for excellence in performance. Large company with agile response to clients needs. Willing to take risks based in common sense that would take companies of similar size months of policy review and change to execute.

Cons

Most of the company's strengths revolve extremely specialized needs and complex customer problems - in short, not always the cheapest of missions to execute successfully. This sometimes puts KEYw at a disadvantage in competitive markets where the customer is willing to sacrifice quality for a best value solution. In my opinion, KEYW is not a good company for capturing competitive contracts when the Government is in financial turmoil. Not exactly a weakness, but it's business revolves around timing capture efforts with extreme strategy. Also, there is no centralized business development group, which means as a manager, you will need to be creative and versed in business development to progress in your career.

A lot of emphasis is placed on maintaining low overhead costs by working in a flat environment. This sometimes puts pressure on managers to bite off more than they can handle in order to prove their worth. Remember to delegate, divide and conquer.

KEYW is my first employer out of college, and has set the bar VERY HIGH for other companies to match the experience.

Current Employee - Electrical Hardware Design Engineer I in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Electrical Hardware Design Engineer I in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits package, competitive compensation, availability of upward mobility.

Great employee perks such as weekly sporting events tickets giveaways, gifts sent to your home for no charge to you, gift card giveaways.

Great communication from Len and the other high level executives on the overall movement and operation of the company at an enterprise level.

Friendly, efficient, and talented people for inside-operations such as Human Resources, Payroll, and Timekeeping operations. Always quick to respond to problems.

Cons

KEYW is a Maryland based company, so the professional sporting events are for Baltimore Orioles and Baltimore Ravens tickets. As a Washington DC resident, where is the love for the Redskins and Nationals?

Continue the communication with All Hands meetings and emails with regards to the enterprise-level actions of the company. It promotes a unified feeling among co-workers, at all levels of their careers.

Fabulous Pay, Great Benefits, Wonderful People

I have been working at KEYW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* HR is fantastic - I haven't had a single problem they haven't solved in a couple days or less - tuition reimbursement, 401k allocation, stock purchasing adjustment, etc.
    * Great benefits - 401k matching is nearly unmatched (ha!) and they offer a Roth 401k, vesting is almost always immediate (stock options generally carry a 4-year vesting schedule), healthcare is great (Blue Cross) and they offer and HSA option, dental is super inexpensive and widely accepted, AD&D and other benefits included.
    * Pay is great - definitely some of the highest in the local area for a company this size.
    * Lots of different work to do - if you're bored/unhappy, you can switch contracts!
    * Awesome holiday parties (last one was at M&T Bank Stadium)!
    * Great charitable giving opportunities, sometimes even including free company-provided cash to donate to a charity of your choice.
    * Responsive management - any questions I've had have been answered promptly and professionally.

Cons

* If you select the hourly rate structure, you have no leave, which is a bit of a pain sometimes, but depending on your lifestyle it's workable. You can switch to salaried if you like (open season once a year).
    * Most of the time you're direct labor, so you have to give the customer what they want (obviously).
    * I've been sitting here 5 minutes on this bullet, and I can't think of any other ones.

As far as I can tell, upper management is doing great. I don't know why there wasn't a Bagel Breakfast for quite a while (probably the move to Milestone), but I like those so keep them going.

Good Midsize Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been able to find the work that most interests me here. I find their healthcare, vacation, and retirement to be way above par for the industry. I like that they will help me find new work when I'm looking for a change.

Cons

Lots of moving pieces right now.

More events for the employees that work on customer sites. Tough to get to the corporate office sometimes.

Company cares about its employees

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company often goes above and beyond for its employees. They take a professional and personal interest. Other public companies I've worked for try to nickel and dime their employees. They have only improved funds for employees such as training since going public.

Cons

Often with companies that acquire companies sometimes there is a struggle with establishing identity. Keyw is still making a uniform brand to employees and external customers.

Smart people working to keep others safe

I have been working at KEYW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Challenging work, mission comes first, people centered executive management.

Cons

Difficult to on board if you are coming from the private sector.

Keep doing what you are doing! Adopt more development processes from different industry sectors.

Good company

I have been working at KEYW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of genuine personality with the management. They never seem like over-worked automatons. The benefits package is top-notch, including tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Training opportunities are somewhat slim.

Great work culture, a little bit disorganized

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at KEYW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment -- everyone is very talented but also friendly and laid back. Fantastic benefits and perks! The Christmas party is always really fun and has awesome food + open bar!

Cons

Based on my experience and others', sometimes they'll hire someone and not have a placement for them right away; it seems like the hiring process is a bit disorganized.

KEYW Photos