KFC

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

KFC CEO David Novak
David Novak

Pros
  • The best thing about this job is the free food during breaks (in 26 reviews)

• Flexibility, bonus if you gain 100% customer service award or the highest up selling (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours- working 8-10 hours with only one 30 minute break (in 29 reviews)

• After working there for over 3 years I never got a raise over minimum wage (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

A fun place to work

I have been working at KFC

Pros

Eating chicken and other food as well as unlimited soda. Also the people are very friendly and like to talk when it's not busy.

Cons

The biggest con for me is that when I go home I smell like grease and my skin is greasy. It's difficult to get that grease smell out of clothes.

I wish that there were more training opportunities to move into management from low positions like crew worker. Also the pay could be higher.

Cook

Current Employee - Cook in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Cook in Louisville, KY

I have been working at KFC full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours. The upper management is always mindful of employees work life balance. I'd recommend them to people looking for a good job (not career).

Cons

It's fast food, so the lifestyle at work is demanding. While I'm working in fast food and especially KFC you have to be able to react quickly as you never know when the next your bus is coming.

Pretty easy job

Current Employee - Kfc Cashier in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Kfc Cashier in Spring, TX

I have been working at KFC full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its an easy job, which everybody should start from some point, there is no much of benefits, but there are still insurance and stuff

Cons

people who works here ar completely different races, from paint to india from white to black

Be nicer

Horrible

I worked at KFC

Pros

Nothing positive except for some co workers and regular customer who were mostly older. Usually get the days you need off.

Cons

General Manager served out of date product. While one of his manager gave her boyfriend chicken.

Hire people that have some life experience not a 22 year old who is also managing his mothers restaurant as well.

One of the worst experiences of my entire life. Total nightmare.

Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager
    Former Employee - Restaurant General Manager

I worked at KFC full-time

Pros

Received a bonus every quarter up to a max of $6,000 ( very hard work though).

If you can survive a yr as a mgr with this company, you can work ANY job because you're a survivor.

There were some nice regional mgrs ( most were 'A holes' though).

Cons

You have to kill yourself to make a bonus since the pay rates sucked. As a manager, you were expected to work a MINIMUM of 50 hrs a week which they then tried to change to 60 hrs a week with the same pay. You however still ALWAYS end up working a MINIMUM of 60 hrs anyway and on call 24 hrs a day 365 days a yr. If another person doesn't show up, you can't leave.

You the manager CANNOT be only a manager since your store will ALWAYS be understaffed based on the amount of people the people up top decides to allow you to have on the clock each hour.

Some mgrs were forced to do unscrupulous things like delete regular employees hrs, having employees work off the clock, using their own money to buy cleaning supplies among other things. The last area mgr I had didn't care how it was done as long as money was saved so he could also get his big bonus at the end of each quarter.

When I didn't agree with these methods and a whole lot more, he tried to terminate me but could not since I was the ONLY one is his region that was on the top 10 list in the whole US. He just couldn't find a reason to get rid of me. He hated the fact that I cared about my employees more than I cared about the bonus.

Two experiences that will always stick with me:

Once, I was very sick, yet I still worked 4 days SICK until my day off ( being sick wasn't an excuse not to show up to work ). I was at my doctor ON MY DAY OFF when the regional mgr stepped into my store. Things were not going right ( according to him), but like I've said, he was ALWAYS looking for something to tear me down. Instead of talking to the shift supervisor on duty at the time, he called my cell phone. I tried to explain that it's my day off and I'm at the doctors and I told him what was happening to me why I visited the doctor. His EXACT words were, ' I don't care if you're dead or dying, the store is a priority'.

Another time:
    I happened to be on a 4 day vacation ( which was VERY RARE ) since most mgrs end up having to give up their vacation days and STILL work without any compensation. I got a call from my shift supervisor who was on duty at the time. She told me that she received a phone call that her son wasn't breathing. I don't know how she did it, but she picked up the phone and called me first. I told her to go take care of her child. I then called my regional mgr, told him of the situation. Asked him if he could ask one of the other mgrs to send one of their shift supervisors over to help out my store since there would be none now. He said, AND I QUOUTE ' Tell her she can't leave, sure she has a responsibility to her child, but the store is a priority'.

" the store is a priority' was always his favorite thing to say, never mind employees health.

The company on a whole WILL work you to the bones. They make certain that once you become a mgr, you can't leave unless THEY want you to. They trap you, force you to work long crazy hours, claim that they help you to go to school when in reality, they don't. They go around corners with that one.

*You need to have a better understanding for the people who actually do the work in the stores.

* stop allowing HR to go back and whisper to the mgr when something of a serious nature is reported. ( personally, I've had an HR person call me and told me that such and such called and said such and such ).

*you need to keep better reign on your area/regional mrgs, they care only about their bonuses.

*finally, STOP TREATING EMPLOYEES AT THE STORE LEVEL LIKE SLAVES!!!

Stressful

Current Employee - Cashier in Granada Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Granada Hills, CA

I have been working at KFC part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount food for employees, and free drinks

Cons

You are stuck doing EVERYTHING. Especially opening

Hire some help with the drive through in the mornings

A lot of work for what you're paid.

I have been working at KFC part-time

Pros

Good hours
    Laid back for the most part

Cons

Frequent product shortages
    Cleanliness...or lack thereof

It used to be a better place to work

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at KFC full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You make your own shedule

Cons

They don't take care of their people

Manager

Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Restaurant General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KFC full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Too much stress company wants thing to be perfect but franchise don't want to pay what is required sometime is less than mimumum wages

Cons

Too many hours less money

Watch the franchise don't give your name to cheap franchise

cashier

I worked at KFC

Pros

the work environment was always fun and hours were good for a part-time worker

Cons

the was no training at all there wasnt any room to grow and no one try to help you get ahead

take more care and pride for and in your workers