KIPP Foundation Reviews

Reset
3.6
Richard Barth

1. Excellent

Pros

Great professional development opportunities. Great staff. Excellent place to work. Excellent location. Great networking. One of the best places to work.

Cons

I simply have none. Kipp is the best place I've ever worked. Coming in as an intern I did not know what to expect but KIPP New Jersey is an excellent organization with excellent people.

Advice to Management

Perhaps more hands on training for interns. However again I really have very few words for management; as my experience at KIPP was excellent and I would definitely repeat.

A luck of the draw

I worked at KIPP Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great: free health care/dental if a single person, and about two weeks off during the winter holidays. The pay is adequate for lower-level staff. There are good people who truly care about making a difference.

Cons

I truly believe you have to luck out on a position with a good manager. There is very little managerial skill-set. This organization is a great cause and has proven a great track record (over 20 years); however, the amount of money spent on events, conferences, etc. would be astonishing to most of the parents, students, and to other charter organizations who partner with this network. My view on non-profits has changed since my time working at this organization. I now see most non-profits alike big businesses-it's about the money, and not for the students, but for the senior management who all make quite significant salaries while the teachers make very little and work just as much if not more hours. In addition, there seems to be much more thinking, planning, thinking some more, etc. than actual work product. Much time is wasted on regular meeting fly-ins in which many senior staff must fly, train, etc. mid-way and across the country. There is also quite a bit of staff movement which begs the question if staff are actually equipped to be in their positions as they move from one position to another. Lastly, HR is not there for low-level staffers. Beware if you want to go to HR! There is a lot of talk and little action (for staff at least) at this organization.

Advice to Management

There should be better managerial training. HR should truly function as an HR department where any staff can seek their advice without fear of their managers knowing.

3. Learning Specialist

Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at KIPP Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Character Education is the foundation as well as "Climbing the mountain to college."

Cons

No modification of lessons for special education srudents-they accomodate not modify-illegal.

5. Performing Arts Coordinator

I have been working at KIPP Foundation full-time

Pros

Great staff, great building, awesome kids, the school itself is in a great location that is safe for kids.

Cons

it's a bit out of the way. Construction is still talking place but other than that great place.

Inspirational non-profit still struggling with scale

Pros

Inspiring mission. Workplace is filled with bright, thoughtful colleagues focused on trying to find solutions to help the wider school network. Appetite for risk-taking and creative ideas. Data-driven decisions. Feedback-driven culture. Many managers are focused on personal and professional development. Competitive salaries and benefits packages for the non-profit, educational space.

Cons

Experiences can vary across teams and managers. As the organization has grown, systems have not always kept up. There are a number of inefficiencies that could be countered with better systems and systemization. Teams can often be silo'd and upper management has not yet nailed how to create an open, transparent environment across teams.

7. great experience

Pros

great co workers great training

Cons

work summers lower salary little sick days

8. Work Hard. Be Nice. The motto is very reflective of the culture.

I have been working at KIPP Foundation full-time

Pros

Good people. Very passionate about sector and work

Cons

Tremendous growth and consequent challenges associated with growth

9. changing lives

Current Employee - Teacher in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Teacher in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at KIPP Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is an awesome place to work. The leadership are the ones who keep the schools a float.

Cons

We have long, extended school days and we also have lots of professional development. Our pay could also reflect the years of experience and education each individual employee has.

Advice to Management

Pay us better!!

10. It has been a great experience working for KIPP

Current Employee - Educator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Educator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at KIPP Foundation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

pay benefits you are able to work hard and see the benefits in the students administrative support constant growth

Cons

the long hours that you have to work 7:00-5;00

Advice to Management

Continue to grow , specifically in the area of developing leaders

Warning some charters are not worth it.

Former Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in San Antonio, TX

I worked at KIPP Foundation full-time

Pros

Very structured environment and a lot of KIPP specific professional development opprotunities. Welcoming staff

Cons

24/7 hours - you will be provided with a cell phone to be contacted at home. Was not provided a mentor teacher (you need it because it is different cultural/educational model). Pay lower than district and discouragement of sick/PD leave. Did not tell you school has unacceptable rating so school under a lot of pressure to perform.

Advice to Management

Make sure the principals for new schools are either experienced as a principal or give a lot of support. The principal at my school was ineffective and created a culture of fear. APs were a lot better at managing.

RSS Feed </> Embed