KIPP Foundation

Add Photos

Richard Barth

changing lives

Teacher (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsThis is an awesome place to work. The leadership are the ones who keep the schools a float.

ConsWe have long, extended school days and we also have lots of professional development. Our pay could also reflect the years of experience and education each individual employee has.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay us better!!

It has been a great experience working for KIPP

Educator (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prospay
    benefits
    you are able to work hard and see the benefits in the students
    administrative support
    constant growth

Consthe long hours that you have to work 7:00-5;00

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to grow , specifically in the area of developing leaders

Warning some charters are not worth it.

Teacher (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsVery structured environment and a lot of KIPP specific professional development opprotunities. Welcoming staff

Cons24/7 hours - you will be provided with a cell phone to be contacted at home. Was not provided a mentor teacher (you need it because it is different cultural/educational model). Pay lower than district and discouragement of sick/PD leave.

Did not tell you school has unacceptable rating so school under a lot of pressure to perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the principals for new schools are either experienced as a principal or give a lot of support. The principal at my school was ineffective and created a culture of fear. APs were a lot better at managing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong staff, inexperienced administration, with little loyalty toward staff but strong focus on students.

Teacher (Current Employee) San Lorenzo, CA

ProsThe staff is mostly strong and dedicated. Some of the veterans are among the best teachers in the Bay Area. A lot of good things happen in (most of) the classrooms for our students. Pay is higher than other schools in the area (but see trade-offs in the cons). The students have been wonderful. A good spot for young, single teachers with a lot of dedication.

ConsAdministration is young and inexperienced, with little loyalty toward the employees. Teaching here requires much longer hours than teaching at other district schools (the pay bump does not adequately compensate for this difference). You are at school with students from 7:45 until 5 pm every day, plus occasional weekend and event responsibilities (like dances, art shows, community service trips, etc.). There are no employee protections- you are an at-will employee here. 401k plan a poor substitute for CalSTRS. A challenging place to work for teachers with responsibilities at home.

High turnover, make a difference

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsConnection to an inspiring movement, ability to make a difference. Many opportunities to learn about education reform, and understand the landscape. KIPP is a premier brand for resume.

ConsDisconnection to teachers and on the ground reality. Sometimes there is red tape and you wonder if the work you are doing is removing obstacles for teachers and principals, or enhancing their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive sr. management an idea of what students and teachers face daily.

Ditto

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI couldn't agree more with the first reviewer. KIPP is a feel-good place to work and it's very clear why we get up int he morning.

ConsThe first reviewer hit the nail directly on the head - very few people seem to actually be doing anything at KIPP. There's a lot of thinking, a lot of planning, a lot of meetings, and then a lot of...hiring consultants. People at the top don't execute like they used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what it involved with the work you're asking others to do. Be more closely involved in it. We're wasting a lot of time and resources because people do not understand how to execute the task that they are asking others to execute.

Well-meaning, positive workplace facing maturation challenges

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe KIPP Foundation is an extremely satisfying work environment that supports a nonprofit network of charter schools providing under-served children with access to high-quality education. It feels really good to be there. The Foundation is filled with remarkably smart and hard-working people. Benefits are excellent, and compensation is quite reasonable for a nonprofit. The organization is ambitious, and is good at self-reflection and adaptation.

ConsThere are some downsides. There are strong personalities, and a lot of people with competing visions, and not a whole lot of people who actually implement these grand visions. In some departments, there is a 1:1 ratio of managers and non-management staff. The organization is ambitious and self-critical, sometimes to the point of being maladaptive. The organization is struggling to transition away from a "hero model" of passionate, hard-working staff willing to burn long hours and into a mature, stable model of working smart, not hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKIPP needs to balance ambitious planning with a lot more people to actually execute the work. Management tends to hire people like them - e.g. more management with vision.

Great Mission - Great People

ProsThe KIPP Foundation is a terrific place to work for mission driven people who want to make a difference in their day to day work. Very inspirational to be part of a movement that is making a positive difference in the lives of children.

ConsAt times it is challenging working in a virtual environment given the national spread of the organization.

Worked for KIPP Foundation? Contribute to the Community!