KIT digital

Updated Mar 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter Heiland

Solana Beach office is great and a good place to work

Developer (Current Employee) Solana Beach, CA

ProsThe Solana Beach office works independently from the rest of the company, which is great. We focus on our clients, and do a fantastic job, and they love us. Our paychecks are basically written by our clients, so we're well funded, even when KIT is under financial turmoil.

ConsKIT digital's global business has been unstable for several months, and has undergone massive restructurings. The Solana Beach office typically ignores these issues, and continues on working, but occasionally it just slows us down. These issues have also led to financial cutbacks, such as fewer company parties and outings.

KIT digital now Piksel in a down spiral

ProsIt used to be exciting, working on cool technology. The company seemed to have ago to market plan.

ConsLot of changes, management and strategy changes frequently. Not sure what we want to be when we grow up that is if we live long enough to grow up.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to reinvent the wheel. Keep the guys that know, been there, done that. Make up your mind. You want regions or no regions? division or no divisions? focus on EMEA or the Americas or both. You cannot have an Exec team that is changing all the time, members are located in different places in the world and expect to build up the company.

Solid management, solid process, fun environment, good work/life balance

Project Manager (Current Employee) Solana Beach, CA

ProsManagement has their act together. Although previously that was not the case, the team in place now is solid and gives me confidence that this company is moving in the right direction. There is an entirely new financial team, which is critical. KIT's agile development processes are very solid, as are the project management processes. I have learned a great deal. The work environment is really fun too. There's no micromanagement and people are empowered to get their work done without a lot of oversight. Lastly, the work/life balance is very much respected. The new KIT is very different than the old KIT.

ConsKIT's reputation remains a little tarnished from the actions of past management, but that will change over time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I love working here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lacks Vision, Respect and Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros+ Ability to Travel Globally
    + Smart and Capable Peers
    + Competitive Salary Compensation
    + Health, Dental and Vision Benefits

Cons- Poor Communication and Leadership
    - Lack of Vision
    - Poor respect for employees and delegating responsibilities
    - Poor integration of acquired companies.
    - Poor Working environments at non-executive locations.
    - Acquired companies self implode due to the above issues.

Advice to Senior Management1) Stop acquiring companies strictly to get them on your roster until you can figure out a way to integrate them in such a way that you can maintain the same working environment they enjoyed prior to acquiring them.

2) Communicate and be honest with your team and your customers. KIT flies by the seat of its pants, not knowing the implications of the decisions they make.

3) Let technologists make technology decisions. Executives should not be making decisions at the technology or product level.

4) Be respectful and honest to employees. Treat them as if they were a customer and please them in every manner possible. Doing so will improve the overall mood, increase productivity and help clarify the overall vision.

5) Pick a path and stay on it! So many projects have been shelved because the executive team felt that some newly acquired product would do the job better and faster. But in reality, you are really just further delaying the end result. Where as if you were to have a complete understanding of how the current phase of the project is progressing you would see that the light at the end of the tunnel is not too far away.

6) Act as a team! KIT operates in Silos, and those silos dont have a way to communicate nor have direction from any leadership to do so. The executives need to see others in the company no matter their title or rank as equals. They should eb reaching out an validating their ideas from the people who are down in the ditches rather than the other members of the board.

7) Look at successful companies as an example of how to treat customers and employees. Look at Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Ooyala, Foursquare, etc. These are all companies that put people before profit, doing so will inevitably lead to success and profits.

Buy it, break it, kill it

Development Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you are an American, you work for kitd because they bought your company. You might keep your job for awhile until they outsource it.

ConsKitd is about buying companies and reducing head count. The senior mgrt.has no interest in products or even customers, just reduce costs as close to zero as possible and milk existing customers as long as possible without investing in development. Buy next company before revenue loss is noticed.

Need better employee relations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsTeam atmosphere and communication skills

ConsCorporate ambitions out weigh employee satafaction

Advice to Senior ManagementStart thinking about your employees

Great working atmosphere

Video Producer (Former Employee) Cairo (Egypt)

ProsFriendly, creative atmosphere (I worked in the Cairo office). Great boss!

ConsOccasionally difficult hours, felt somewhat isolated from other Kit offices.

A return to form

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) York, England (UK)

ProsThe previous management at KIT Digital were an unmitigated disaster. KIT had been on a buying spree with no coherent plan and the management were like kids in a sweet shop with a credit card.

Thankfully there is now adult management in place who have a clue about the nuggets of gold that were accidentally bought during that spree. KIT is going through a major restructuring (and will soon be renamed), which is concentrating on the Ioko, Polymedia, Kewego, Multicast Media and Megahertz divisions which actually have businesses worth having.

The ioko division has gone through a lot of changes, with many personnel leaving during the dark days, but there is still a collection of excellent technical people, and the morale of the company has leapt following the turnaround. We can get back to doing what we do best, providing excellent managed service and products.

Now that the dross is being discarded, the company has the opportunity to once more develop to its potential.

The company is extremely interesting to work for on a technical level, and with many different customer teams, it is possible to move between different technologies and customers whilst still remaining with the same employer.

The current management appears to have an understanding that their core asset is the people who work here.

ConsHas been a roller coaster ride, but appears that those days are coming to an end.

Because people tend to stay (notwithstanding the recent turmoil), can be a slow process for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going with the turnaround - and remember the non-video aspects of the company

Was awful, problems being dealt with, light at the end of the tunnel

Architect (Current Employee) York, England (UK)

ProsThe Ioko part of KIT still offers the opportunity to work on some of the most interesting projects in the North of England. Kit in York offers a relaxed informal working environment with probably the highest percentage of professional, capable and hard working staff I have ever worked with. The organisation was a mess when KIT took over, KIT introduced a management and board team that were out of their depth with the size and complexity of the organisation and seemed to be obsessed with creating some kind of start-up environment that no one bought into. Much of what they brought was trivial, embarrassing and smacked of people playing at being a high technology company. Ioko were already a big success story built on a mature and serious but informal approach with great pride in the quality of our work. KIT came along without a plan and without anyone to deliver a plan anyway and tried to turn the organisation into some hideous cariacature better suited to a hollywood film about a technology start up. Things quickly came to a head many of these senior figures disappeared and everyone breathed a sigh of relief as some sanity and maturity came back to the business as each of these left.

KIT has seen a lot of attrition which is to be expected although, with one or two exceptions the consensus amongst my peers has been that it is only in the main, those who weren't really rated by their peers who have left - a lot of dead wood has been shed and in many cases this has been good as it has allowed others to flourish some extremely high earners who used to swan about the place have also disappeared with no measurable impact on the company other than perhaps making it more profitable.... There is a lot of bile in some of the other reviews on here and i guess that is understandable but i also think that some people had an unrealistic view of KIT/Ioko where they thought the business was their to serve them and no one else; the organisation is better without these people.

Things now appear to be heading in a more positive direction and there is a small but significant optimism building in the company. Kit retain a lot of their excellent staff and hopefully the organisation can rise to the heights i believe it rightfully deserves.

Consstill some way to go to real stability
    car parking is an utter disaster

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue the road forward now the mess has been cleared away. Retain staff

Finally got good background. Employees are not good valued

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Madrid (Spain)

ProsMultinational environment, new technology cloud based services, good first look...

ConsEach country by its own side, low to very low integration in several areas like marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more care about employees. Think and make decissions for the mid term, not only for the quarter.

Worked for KIT digital? Contribute to the Community!