KIT digital

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.7

Peter Heiland

Solana Beach office is great and a good place to work

Current Employee - Developer in Solana Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Solana Beach, CA

I have been working at KIT digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Solana Beach office works independently from the rest of the company, which is great. We focus on our clients, and do a fantastic job, and they love us. Our paychecks are basically written by our clients, so we're well funded, even when KIT is under financial turmoil.

Cons

KIT digital's global business has been unstable for several months, and has undergone massive restructurings. The Solana Beach office typically ignores these issues, and continues on working, but occasionally it just slows us down. These issues have also led to financial cutbacks, such as fewer company parties and outings.

Great products were burn to the ground

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at KIT digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, the people was their greatest asset. Good office location.

Cons

No roadmap, no training on the new technologies/products being brought in as par of the acquisition spree, no transparency on next steps, low salary,

KIT digital now Piksel in a down spiral

I have been working at KIT digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It used to be exciting, working on cool technology. The company seemed to have ago to market plan.

Cons

Lot of changes, management and strategy changes frequently. Not sure what we want to be when we grow up that is if we live long enough to grow up.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Keep the guys that know, been there, done that. Make up your mind. You want regions or no regions? division or no divisions? focus on EMEA or the Americas or both. You cannot have an Exec team that is changing all the time, members are located in different places in the world and expect to build up the company.

Solid management, solid process, fun environment, good work/life balance

Current Employee - Project Manager in Solana Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Solana Beach, CA

I have been working at KIT digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management has their act together. Although previously that was not the case, the team in place now is solid and gives me confidence that this company is moving in the right direction. There is an entirely new financial team, which is critical. KIT's agile development processes are very solid, as are the project management processes. I have learned a great deal. The work environment is really fun too. There's no micromanagement and people are empowered to get their work done without a lot of oversight. Lastly, the work/life balance is very much respected. The new KIT is very different than the old KIT.

Cons

KIT's reputation remains a little tarnished from the actions of past management, but that will change over time.

Keep up the good work. I love working here.

Lacks Vision, Respect and Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at KIT digital

Pros

+ Ability to Travel Globally
    + Smart and Capable Peers
    + Competitive Salary Compensation
    + Health, Dental and Vision Benefits

Cons

- Poor Communication and Leadership
    - Lack of Vision
    - Poor respect for employees and delegating responsibilities
    - Poor integration of acquired companies.
    - Poor Working environments at non-executive locations.
    - Acquired companies self implode due to the above issues.

1) Stop acquiring companies strictly to get them on your roster until you can figure out a way to integrate them in such a way that you can maintain the same working environment they enjoyed prior to acquiring them.

2) Communicate and be honest with your team and your customers. KIT flies by the seat of its pants, not knowing the implications of the decisions they make.

3) Let technologists make technology decisions. Executives should not be making decisions at the technology or product level.

4) Be respectful and honest to employees. Treat them as if they were a customer and please them in every manner possible. Doing so will improve the overall mood, increase productivity and help clarify the overall vision.

5) Pick a path and stay on it! So many projects have been shelved because the executive team felt that some newly acquired product would do the job better and faster. But in reality, you are really just further delaying the end result. Where as if you were to have a complete understanding of how the current phase of the project is progressing you would see that the light at the end of the tunnel is not too far away.

6) Act as a team! KIT operates in Silos, and those silos dont have a way to communicate nor have direction from any leadership to do so. The executives need to see others in the company no matter their title or rank as equals. They should eb reaching out an validating their ideas from the people who are down in the ditches rather than the other members of the board.

7) Look at successful companies as an example of how to treat customers and employees. Look at Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Ooyala, Foursquare, etc. These are all companies that put people before profit, doing so will inevitably lead to success and profits.

Buy it, break it, kill it

Former Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at KIT digital

Pros

If you are an American, you work for kitd because they bought your company. You might keep your job for awhile until they outsource it.

Cons

Kitd is about buying companies and reducing head count. The senior mgrt.has no interest in products or even customers, just reduce costs as close to zero as possible and milk existing customers as long as possible without investing in development. Buy next company before revenue loss is noticed.

Need better employee relations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at KIT digital

Pros

Team atmosphere and communication skills

Cons

Corporate ambitions out weigh employee satafaction

Start thinking about your employees

A company with good employee, but bad management

Former Employee - Director in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Director in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at KIT digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has the leading OTT concept

Cons

Too much acquisition and overlapping solution

Pay more attention to integration

Great working atmosphere

Former Employee - Video Producer in Cairo (Egypt)
    Former Employee - Video Producer in Cairo (Egypt)

I worked at KIT digital part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, creative atmosphere (I worked in the Cairo office). Great boss!

Cons

Occasionally difficult hours, felt somewhat isolated from other Kit offices.

A return to form

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in York, England (UK)

I have been working at KIT digital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The previous management at KIT Digital were an unmitigated disaster. KIT had been on a buying spree with no coherent plan and the management were like kids in a sweet shop with a credit card.

Thankfully there is now adult management in place who have a clue about the nuggets of gold that were accidentally bought during that spree. KIT is going through a major restructuring (and will soon be renamed), which is concentrating on the Ioko, Polymedia, Kewego, Multicast Media and Megahertz divisions which actually have businesses worth having.

The ioko division has gone through a lot of changes, with many personnel leaving during the dark days, but there is still a collection of excellent technical people, and the morale of the company has leapt following the turnaround. We can get back to doing what we do best, providing excellent managed service and products.

Now that the dross is being discarded, the company has the opportunity to once more develop to its potential.

The company is extremely interesting to work for on a technical level, and with many different customer teams, it is possible to move between different technologies and customers whilst still remaining with the same employer.

The current management appears to have an understanding that their core asset is the people who work here.

Cons

Has been a roller coaster ride, but appears that those days are coming to an end.

Because people tend to stay (notwithstanding the recent turmoil), can be a slow process for advancement.

Keep going with the turnaround - and remember the non-video aspects of the company