KLA-Tencor

KLA-Tencor Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

KLA-Tencor President, CEO & Director Rick Wallace

Rick Wallace

Pros:
  • "Opportunity to getting close to cutting edge technology in defect detection in wafer manufacturing industry;"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Work-life balance is one of the best perks"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "bad work-life balance for some team"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Senior management more interested in keeping their jobs than doing the right thing"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

IT Department is a cesspool - failures from other groups and divisions are invited to join the IT senior management

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart and dedicated people at the rank and file level

ConsPolitical and ineffective senior management led by a CIO who is a legend in his own mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house- get fresh blood from outside. The IT directors are all politically motivated and insecure- that is why they are not able to leave and find another job even though they have tried- the good ones have all left and are doing really well outside.

Good company in instrumentation especially in Optics

Senior Systems Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA lot of great people that you can work with and learn from them.

ConsThe industry is some what in saturated mode, do not think there is more up potential.

Many smart ppl & internal opportunity improved But pay below industry, still some bad politics exists. IT is useless

Engineering Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at KLA-Tencor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- A lot of bad politics got cleaned up (those who got promoted were the ones who played the game and belonged to "the club"). Major clean up happened several yrs ago, just after current CEO took the position. The politics was so horrible back then. So great job on this one.
- Internal hiring increased, improving internal career opportunities. This is seriously a major improvement from before! thanks a lot. (the company used to hire folks who got laid off, due to their poor performance, from our competitors into a high level positions. It always took more than 2yrs to get these low performers out. But often these ppl did a lot of damage that took more than 2yrs to undo the damage)
- Many very talented, smart people. I've never met so many bright people at one place.

Cons- Pay is below the industry (this is well known and was voiced to CEOs many times but nothing was ever done).
- Truly smart people tend to leave the company (thereby reducing the benefit of working there), unless they are at GM and above.
- Still bad politics exists, leading to some ineffective, some even toxic GMs~Sr.VPs who hang around and cause harm to the organization & operation. GMs who completely failed never get punished but instead they are always rewarded (I've heard so many people who do not know each other say this).
- IT is a complete productivity killer and acts like a psychopath stalker. The only thing they can do is resetting passwords. Every call/chat with IT goes exactly like this.."may I remote control your machine?" in the first 2min of communication, and then they screw around for 30min-1hr without any sort of systematic approach, and then "you need to get the local IT to work on your system". IT then "follows up" by emailing AND calling you everyday, sometimes 2times/day, "Is it solved now? can we close the case?"... Doesn't matter if you tell them the issue requires monitoring due to the nature of it. They won't let go. Completely wrong kind of tenacity.

Advice to Senior Management- Get serious about performance reviews of GMs and above.
- Make the compensation for people below GM at the industry level (at least). I've been told GM and above make too much money to leave. So no issue there.
- Do total overhaul of IT (please, no more incompetent psychopath stalkers..)

long hours, too much travels

I have been working at KLA-Tencor

ProsNice place to work and nice people

Constoo much travels, couple times per month

Global Support Division Needs to Improve in Very Profitable But Very Political Company

Engineering Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at KLA-Tencor full-time for more than 8 years

ProsOpportunities to work with cutting edge optics, lasers, software, and other technologies. Company is THE market leader in wafer inspection technology and productivity solutions in semiconductor industry.

ConsGlobal Support division consistently has senior management turnover every few years which completely changes the organization's goals, objectives, and priorities. Unfortunately, expectations and priorities are often poorly communicated from senior management to middle management and individual contributors. Politics versus objective data/information seems to drive decisions in a significant number of cases. This division also doesn't especially encourage a collaborative culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to look critically at senior management initiatives and work with middle managers to develop clear execution strategies instead of just sending down directives and expecting them to be successful. Also, poor Work/Life balance is an acknowledged, continuing problem in this division. Don't ignore it.

Sr. Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice place to work, good training

Consgrowth opportunities are not as much

Cool company

Tax Accountant (Former Employee)
Milpitas, CA

I worked at KLA-Tencor full-time for more than a year

Prosvery good working environment, good senior managers

Consat times too many decision maker

Advice to Senior Managementempower employees

Work ANYWHERE but here

IT Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at KLA-Tencor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone that I can see

ConsI have read the comments about IT and agree with them entirely.
Problem #1: KLA-Tencor is in the semiconductor industry and experiencing zero to negative growth. As a result, the company is going downhill fast. So the CEO ordered the CIO to cut costs. CIO responds by outsourcing IT as much as possible. Now there is nothing wrong with this, since the company has to cut costs in order to survive. Many people have a problem with outsourcing, but cost cuts can make the difference between having and not having a job. Some blame the CEO, but seriously what can he do? His jobs is to keep the company running, he couldn’t care less about IT and the problems. As long as the CIO delivers the cost cuts, no problems.
Problem #2: Yes I do agree that many in IT management from the CIO, the directors, to the middle managers are all terrible, but seriously how can KLA-Tencor legally get rid of them? Those people are essentially watching over a ship that is slowly sinking. As long as they do the bare minimum, they don’t have to worry and get paid a high salary. They are doing what they are told, and they lie to make it look like they are working hard. So legally KLA-Tencor cannot fire or dismiss any of them with any cause. Further anyone who sees the problems and challenges them are forced out or shouted down.
Problem #3: IT management is struggling with addressing ethics violations. This is hilarious since IT management are the ones who are committing the ethics violations. So since they stay, the ethics problems continue.
Problem #4: KLA-Tencor does not care about IT workers. If they want to outsource to save money, fine, but do an orderly transition to help existing IT staff.
Problem #5: KLA-Tencor is old, very hierarchical, and very institutional. As a result, promotions and advancement are based on seniority, not ability or capability. Example: Person A who knows jack with 10+ years working at KLA will be promoted to management much faster than Person B who knows more with 2 years working at KLA. So those who are in IT management have been with the company for 10-20 years are going to stay, ain’t nothing can be done about it.
Problem #6: CIO has no IT management experience or ability. He ran product operations and marketing. Hence why IT at KLA-Tencor has been a train wreck. Many will question why the CEO appointed such a person to be CIO? During the re-orgs, KLA-Tencor had to cut costs, so they just consolidated departments and gave responsibility over IT and other departments to someone based on seniority in the corporate hierarchy. To the CEO, this guy’s been with the company almost 20+ years, that matters more. Who cares if he doesn’t know anything about IT?

Advice to anyone considering working in IT at KLA-Tencor: Don’t.
Your experience and abilities will not be valued, IT management will not care to help your career, and your career growth will be limited. IT management at KLA-Tencor is a communist dictatorship. IT management will not tolerant anyone who questions them and recommends solutions. Solutions and changes cost money and KLA-Tencor does not have much money to spend on IT. Their main focus is survival. As a result, backstabbing, lies, sabotage, are rampant. Your best bet is to work at ANY company other than KLA-Tencor. Your career will shine and grow faster and you’ll be happier for it.

Advice to those who continue to work in IT at KLA-Tencor:
#1: Don’t expect any changes. If you look at the big picture, the company can’t afford any changes that you would like and no one cares to disrupt how things are. Seriously why would anyone in IT management listen to you and risk losing their job? They have more incentive to say and do nothing. IT management is there to help themselves, not help you.
#2: KLA-Tencor is outsourcing IT at an accelerated rate. You are lucky to have a job. If you don’t like it, then leave. IT management is telling their staff the same message. Besides with the economy doing better, finding better jobs at better companies is much easier.
#3: IT management is very poor. Most of them have no clue about IT and how to use it strategically. So why are they there? Simply they do what obedient slaves do in a communist dictatorship, they don’t say or do anything. To them it is better to save themselves and watch the company go down. In short: KLA-Tencor DOES NOT CARE. If you tell management that the building is on fire, it is so much easier for them to tell you to shut up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck at your next job

Terrible company to work for especially in IT

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople make do with what they can
Salaries are above average
Don't need to excel

ConsReally poor lower level IT management who lack ethics, are poor at their job and play politics. Someone mentioned rank and file are ok, but in reality the good people left a long time ago and everyone knows it. Difficult to hire new people so the old guard stay behind and make it difficult for everyone else

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not training that's needed, the really poor lower level IT managers need to shipped out. But they've been around for so long that they know how to play the game. Really poor company and since you refuse to listen, it will only get worse

Learning and growing everyday next to friends, family, and fantastic products.

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time

ProsYou'll be given opportunities that outstrip your current skills, but (probably) not your capabilities. You'll be challenged every day. You'll work with the best and brightest. You'll work hard and play hard. You'll help move bleeding edge technology forward. And you'll find family.

I've worked for KT for 25 years. I've lived in California, Vermont, Japan, and Singapore. I've seen the world. I wasn't 'trained' for a single job they gave me, but they saw the potential I didn't. That's all cool, but it's the small part of the story.

My wife and I are part of a family that will never fade. Recently we've experienced a medical crisis in our family. With little prompting, our larger family at KT gathered around us - providing connections to doctors, references to others who have experienced what we've been through, staying with us through the toughest days, and sharing their prayers and wishes.

An example? Two teammates stayed with me through the darkest moments of surgery. A senior VP that I've never worked for, and seldom with, stopped by to provide support. Wishes came from around the world - from current and former KT employees. An impromptu renewal of our vows brought my boss (My boss, how many of you can say that?) to conduct the renewal ceremony and colleagues to celebrate it.

I'm not a senior executive. I'm a mid-level manager. Yet many who read this will know who I am. That's the community we have here, if you invest in it.

Perseverance? Yes.
Growth? Yes.
Honest, Forthright, and Consistent? Yes.

A life that repays everything you invest? Yes. Yes. And Yes.

ConsIf you don't want to work hard. If you don't want to be challenged. If you think that style trumps substance. If you think you'll be nurtured and weened... you've got the wrong company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sharing your personal stories. Keep connecting with the front-line. KT Management came from the front-line, believes in the best of what we represent, and represents the best of what we believe. Unfortunately, they are often too conservative to say so...

Worked for KLA-Tencor? Contribute to the Community!

KLA-Tencor Videos

KLA-Tencor – Why Work for Us?

KLA-Tencor Corporation is the world's leading supplier of process control and yield management solutions for the semiconductor and related microelectronics industries. We have been in business for over 30 years and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KLA-Tencor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KLA-Tencor CEO Rick Wallace. All 301 reviews posted anonymously by KLA-Tencor employees.