KLA-Tencor

KLA-Tencor Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

KLA-Tencor President, CEO & Director Rick Wallace

Rick Wallace

Pros
  • Opportunity to getting close to cutting edge technology in defect detection in wafer manufacturing industry; (in 16 reviews)

• Good work-life balance is easy to maintain (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work-life balance for some team (in 18 reviews)

• Political and ineffective senior management led by a CIO who is a legend in his own mind (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsPeope work hard here, very dedicated & sincere. Good management. Lots of oppurtunites to develop your skill sets. If you are a nerd, this is the place :-)

ConsWorkaholic environment. I cannot comment about salary since I am a consultant here. But from what I hear, they pay slightly below industry average.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood management overall. But I would like management to encourage employees to interact more through events, games, picnics etc. Information also don't flow too well sometimes from top level management.

Healthy work environment set up for growth and performance due to it's values.

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsGood work-life balance, many exciting engineering disciplines under on roof, approachable management culture.

ConsIdea turn around time is too long as compared to small size companies but that is a necessary evil.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!!

KLA-Tencor is an excellent company to work for.

Senior Manufacturing Test Engineer - NPI (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe work is very interesting and the caliber of your co-workers is very high. It was a pleasure to work so harmoniously with such talented people.

ConsI didn't actually experience anything negative when I worked at KLA-Tencor. I really loved my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical semiconductor company

ProsA lot to learn if one can transfer to different groups. Lots of product with different technology. Relatively good market position and gross margin.

ConsThere is not much room for personal growth. work force is stretched. Manager and employee relationship is not smooth. sometimes higher manager cannot find out what lower manager was doing.

Either Or

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsGood size company, decent benefits, amenities at Milpitas location, good talent, large product margin

ConsSome compensation is lower than competitors, advancement could be difficult depending on the group, house-cleaning exercises - good and bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementHFC

FINLE Farm

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBonuses
    Company has a well-established name/brand recognition
    Austin is a great place to live

ConsA small satellite office a long way from headquarters.
    Products that aren't core to the company, but the company won't spin them off.
    Austin management that has little talent other than brown nosing and posturing. Lot of execu-talk and litle else, other than regular ass-kicking.
    No leadership. No sense of appropriateness of applying management principals.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave and make room for actual talent. Stop thinking you're good just because you have been given everything.

I hate working here

IT Person (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsAs an old time IT guy, I have to go I've seen many people come and go but this place never changes for the better. We still have the same idiotic managers who have been here for years. We do the same work year in year out and the only way we move on is to stay on right side of the idiotic and clueless managers who still remain.

ConsYear after year, nothing changes. Same managers. I won't call them leaders because they don't lead. We complain in the annual review. but the managers choose what to publish if at all. It's completely abnormal. I read the review from HR below and they are completely deluded if they believe the only con is that there are layoffs from time to time. Whenever a complaint is made about IT management, they turn a blind eye. I feel so lost here

Advice to Senior ManagementI've given up. Even if I do things properly and focus on the so called values that you espouse, like HFC (Honest Forthright Communication) or lead by example, nothing changes. We complain or suggest things for improvement, but you don't listen. Only if it affects you will you do anything. You keep on saying, look at yourselves, but we're the not the ones who are not to blame. People are drowning, and you guys are enjoying the view

Top-notch Engineering Company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsWorking at KLA-Tencor definitely provides many unique and challenging problems that will keep many people engaged in the day-to-day work. If you have an engineering background (especially electrical) and you are now doing software development you'll be glad for the engineering background! If you (a software engineer/developer) love machine control or algorithms development then this is the place for you.

ConsSometimes the software seems like a "necessary evil." KLA-Tencor (KT) is definitely in the business of developing and manufacturing tools. Someone looking for the ideal "software developer" job may be left wanting more. The focus is on the tool and developing the software necessary for operating the tool and producing results with the data gathered by the tool.

Awesome Company to work for

Manager Human Resources (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsTechnology Leader, Excellent Management, World class process and technology, medium size company

ConsCyclical industry with some downsizing from time to time

Mixed bag

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsThis is my third time working for this company. Pros are the same as before: all the typical pros of working for a large company. In addition: great people, people are smart and work hard, great technology and engineering, good facilities. Overall, the company is well managed - which is hard to do in this kind of industry (small market size, high tech, low growth, lots of competition).

ConsAll the typical cons of working for a large company. Some points to make: company values talent, not people, and treats individuals as disposable. Benefits are sub-par for the Bay Area. Compensation tends to be on the low side. No effective standards of conduct for management - about 20% of middle management staff are unprofessional psychopaths and it's impossible to hold them accountable. Rank order performance evaluations (archaic way to manage a work force) incentivizes people to work hard but not take risks or make tough decisions. People are discouraged from moving around within the company, so careers can stagnate. And a company culture that I can only describe as "unnecessarily mean".

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider: offering more competitive salaries, adopting more modern work force management policies, adopting a corporate culture that is more supportive of high performance teams.

Worked for KLA-Tencor? Contribute to the Community!