KLA-Tencor Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.1

KLA-Tencor President, CEO & Director Rick Wallace
Rick Wallace

Pros
  • The culture allows a good work life balance for those not demanding to climb the ladder (in 18 reviews)

• Great opportunities for scientists to work on cutting edge technology (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work-life balance for some team (in 19 reviews)

• Political and ineffective senior management led by a CIO who is a legend in his own mind (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

FINLE Farm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at KLA-Tencor

Pros

Bonuses
    Company has a well-established name/brand recognition
    Austin is a great place to live

Cons

A small satellite office a long way from headquarters.
    Products that aren't core to the company, but the company won't spin them off.
    Austin management that has little talent other than brown nosing and posturing. Lot of execu-talk and litle else, other than regular ass-kicking.
    No leadership. No sense of appropriateness of applying management principals.

Leave and make room for actual talent. Stop thinking you're good just because you have been given everything.

Either Or

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time

Pros

Good size company, decent benefits, amenities at Milpitas location, good talent, large product margin

Cons

Some compensation is lower than competitors, advancement could be difficult depending on the group, house-cleaning exercises - good and bad.

HFC

I hate working here

Current Employee - IT Person in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - IT Person in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an old time IT guy, I have to go I've seen many people come and go but this place never changes for the better. We still have the same idiotic managers who have been here for years. We do the same work year in year out and the only way we move on is to stay on right side of the idiotic and clueless managers who still remain.

Cons

Year after year, nothing changes. Same managers. I won't call them leaders because they don't lead. We complain in the annual review. but the managers choose what to publish if at all. It's completely abnormal. I read the review from HR below and they are completely deluded if they believe the only con is that there are layoffs from time to time. Whenever a complaint is made about IT management, they turn a blind eye. I feel so lost here

I've given up. Even if I do things properly and focus on the so called values that you espouse, like HFC (Honest Forthright Communication) or lead by example, nothing changes. We complain or suggest things for improvement, but you don't listen. Only if it affects you will you do anything. You keep on saying, look at yourselves, but we're the not the ones who are not to blame. People are drowning, and you guys are enjoying the view

Top-notch Engineering Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working at KLA-Tencor definitely provides many unique and challenging problems that will keep many people engaged in the day-to-day work. If you have an engineering background (especially electrical) and you are now doing software development you'll be glad for the engineering background! If you (a software engineer/developer) love machine control or algorithms development then this is the place for you.

Cons

Sometimes the software seems like a "necessary evil." KLA-Tencor (KT) is definitely in the business of developing and manufacturing tools. Someone looking for the ideal "software developer" job may be left wanting more. The focus is on the tool and developing the software necessary for operating the tool and producing results with the data gathered by the tool.

good

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

travel and see the world

Cons

work life balance, wenkend shift

gentle

Mixed bag

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I worked at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is my third time working for this company. Pros are the same as before: all the typical pros of working for a large company. In addition: great people, people are smart and work hard, great technology and engineering, good facilities. Overall, the company is well managed - which is hard to do in this kind of industry (small market size, high tech, low growth, lots of competition).

Cons

All the typical cons of working for a large company. Some points to make: company values talent, not people, and treats individuals as disposable. Benefits are sub-par for the Bay Area. Compensation tends to be on the low side. No effective standards of conduct for management - about 20% of middle management staff are unprofessional psychopaths and it's impossible to hold them accountable. Rank order performance evaluations (archaic way to manage a work force) incentivizes people to work hard but not take risks or make tough decisions. People are discouraged from moving around within the company, so careers can stagnate. And a company culture that I can only describe as "unnecessarily mean".

Consider: offering more competitive salaries, adopting more modern work force management policies, adopting a corporate culture that is more supportive of high performance teams.

Awesome Company to work for

Current Employee - Manager Human Resources in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Manager Human Resources in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Technology Leader, Excellent Management, World class process and technology, medium size company

Cons

Cyclical industry with some downsizing from time to time

pretty good place to work

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time

Pros

Most groups are very bottom-line performance oriented.

Cons

Very political - many senior people have been working together for 20 years.

Pretty Good company

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is is in line with the industry
    Kulture performance oriented, might be pretty stressful depending on the group manager.
    Decent gym.

Cons

Corporate management is too fixed on the current line of products, sometimes risk averted towards completely new concepts that could become big revenue source in the future. Sometimes it feels like the quarterly reports are main drivers of planing long term financial future of corporation.

Be more open minded towards long term concepts/projects. Pay more attention to project management selection. Choosing an ogr for managerial position that has no social skills at all, may be a recipe for disaster

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, work environment and customers

Cons

nothing, this job is perfect

keep doing what youre doing