KLA-Tencor

Updated January 27, 2015
3.2

KLA-Tencor President, CEO & Director Rick Wallace
Rick Wallace

Pros
  • Very talented employees - working on cutting-edge technology solutions (in 18 reviews)

• The culture allows a good work life balance for those not demanding to climb the ladder (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • terrible work life balance, too much traveling (in 22 reviews)

• Political and ineffective senior management led by a CIO who is a legend in his own mind (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

IT is absolutely the worst division in existence

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can get away with anything in IT. Some people here work 3-4 hours and are gone. No one cares at all. Promotions from the old boys club is the norm

Cons

It is unbelievably abnormal and disfunctional how this IT department functions. You have a serious serious malfunctioning department which is controlled by bullies who promote the favored few. there is absolute complete disregard for doing great work. the best people left a long long long time ago. What you have left are the low level and Senior IT managers who are completely unemployable elsewhere. There is utter and complete cronyism and garbage here. Complaints are completely disregarded. the annual review is a joke. the annual survey is an exercise in futility. Seriously, just scan through all the IT reviews in this company on this site, particularly from the old timers. This place is an absolute mess. They promoted the Senior Service IT director to VP. What an absolute joke of a guy he is. Half the people who work under him, have an utter disregard for him and speak badly about him and his cohorts behind his back. It's just a terrible place to work

IT management. Just do everyone a favor and just leave. This place used to have such high standards. They've gone. Forever.

Well managed company with an interesting, well engineered product line.

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and interesting products. The culture allows a good work life balance for those not demanding to climb the ladder. Plenty of travel if you want.

Cons

Travel can be overwhelming depending on your job. Resources can get squeezed sometimes for non-flagship products and certainly for legacy products.

Cesspool called Corp IT

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can pretend to be busy and nobody notices.

Cons

All reviews posted so far lead to a conclusion that Corp IT is a cesspool. Every time you think things can’t get any worse they do. The CIO who is a superstar in his own mind, is here for more than 6 years with no prospect of a change in his role or job. All his predecessors moved on to bigger and better things within 2 -3 years in the same role. Facebook CIO anyone? The same goes for most of his direct reports. I refuse to call them IT Leadership because they don’t lead, they are political puppeteers who play favoritism. They actually promoted someone to a director’s position last year when he can’t complete a single sentence without mumbling, someone to manager’s position who shows up for 3-4 hours a day. They tried to get jobs outside and failed miserably. So they stay back and flex their muscle. The only hope for IT to improve is to change the top tier and some of the middle tier management.

Serious need to clean house.

Think twice before you join

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better compensation than peer companies
    Willing to try new technologies

Cons

Lots of pressures
    Too many very active politicians pretending they are technical gurus as well

Healthy work environment set up for growth and performance due to it's values.

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, many exciting engineering disciplines under on roof, approachable management culture.

Cons

Idea turn around time is too long as compared to small size companies but that is a necessary evil.

Keep up the good work!!

KLA-Tencor is an excellent company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Test Engineer - NPI in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Test Engineer - NPI in San Jose, CA

I worked at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work is very interesting and the caliber of your co-workers is very high. It was a pleasure to work so harmoniously with such talented people.

Cons

I didn't actually experience anything negative when I worked at KLA-Tencor. I really loved my job.

Keep up the good work!

Typical semiconductor company

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time

Pros

A lot to learn if one can transfer to different groups. Lots of product with different technology. Relatively good market position and gross margin.

Cons

There is not much room for personal growth. work force is stretched. Manager and employee relationship is not smooth. sometimes higher manager cannot find out what lower manager was doing.

FINLE Farm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at KLA-Tencor

Pros

Bonuses
    Company has a well-established name/brand recognition
    Austin is a great place to live

Cons

A small satellite office a long way from headquarters.
    Products that aren't core to the company, but the company won't spin them off.
    Austin management that has little talent other than brown nosing and posturing. Lot of execu-talk and litle else, other than regular ass-kicking.
    No leadership. No sense of appropriateness of applying management principals.

Leave and make room for actual talent. Stop thinking you're good just because you have been given everything.

Either Or

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time

Pros

Good size company, decent benefits, amenities at Milpitas location, good talent, large product margin

Cons

Some compensation is lower than competitors, advancement could be difficult depending on the group, house-cleaning exercises - good and bad.

HFC

I hate working here

Current Employee - IT Person in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - IT Person in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at KLA-Tencor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an old time IT guy, I have to go I've seen many people come and go but this place never changes for the better. We still have the same idiotic managers who have been here for years. We do the same work year in year out and the only way we move on is to stay on right side of the idiotic and clueless managers who still remain.

Cons

Year after year, nothing changes. Same managers. I won't call them leaders because they don't lead. We complain in the annual review. but the managers choose what to publish if at all. It's completely abnormal. I read the review from HR below and they are completely deluded if they believe the only con is that there are layoffs from time to time. Whenever a complaint is made about IT management, they turn a blind eye. I feel so lost here

I've given up. Even if I do things properly and focus on the so called values that you espouse, like HFC (Honest Forthright Communication) or lead by example, nothing changes. We complain or suggest things for improvement, but you don't listen. Only if it affects you will you do anything. You keep on saying, look at yourselves, but we're the not the ones who are not to blame. People are drowning, and you guys are enjoying the view