KONE

Updated December 15, 2014
3.4

KONE President & CEO Henrik Ehrnrooth
Henrik Ehrnrooth

Great company, depending on local mgmt.

Current Employee - Installation Superintendent in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Installation Superintendent in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at KONE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been treated fairly, given opportunities to advance, and compensated above industry standard. I believe the products we offer are some of the best in the business. I can't see myself working for any other company.

Cons

Spread to thin, you will be asked to go above and beyond you job description. Local mgmt will dictate the success of the office.

Company is moving in the right direction, UP. Safety is a priority, we need more support in operations. Training needs to be mandatory for all positions including field technicians.

Your employment experience will vary on which department you work in.

Former Employee - Legal Associate in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Legal Associate in Moline, IL

I worked at KONE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation is typically more than what you will ask for. Sick time and vacation time is generous as well as personal day. Good benefits and yearly health evaluation (at Headquarters)

Cons

I worked in their law department. My supervisor had favorites that she would let "slide" time off, lateness, long lunches and over used sick time. Others (me) were held to tougher standards or were not allowed any slack at all. It was well known that if this supervisor didn't like you she would find a way to get you to quit or eliminate your position. Which is what happened to me - my position was "eliminated."

Training for this position lasted about one week and was not comprehensive of the job I was expected to perform. I wished to move on to more legal type duties, my supervisor wanted me to become more of a computer aficionado. I my position was more comprised of data entry than legal duties.

Good company, with a good future, in a challenged industry.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at KONE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is family owned so it tends to take a longer view on strategies and implementation. But, that is not to say that shorter term business metrics and performance are not important or pressed. The company is generally very cooperative (from an assistance and working together perspective) across business lines, and has made significant investments in tools, tracking, and field implementation. The industry is a difficult one, with rising costs and flat or declining revenues. But, as compared to the other big 3 companies, KONE has tended to hold its investment in its people, products, and innovation. Lots of career advancement potential, nationally and internationally, without the need to have an MBA. The only company I have worked for that annually surveys it's employees and shares the feedback openly with all. The company has some good employee centric policies and benefits. The only elevator firm with a defined benefit pension plan on top of a matching 401k.

Cons

Mostly industry driven, due to revenue deterioration amid cost increases. The entire industry is killing itself with pricing models. This forces frequent changes, re-organizations, and rotating areas of focus. KONE suffers from the 2-3 year plan of major revamping of areas, management, etc. I often wonder if top management talks to each other when setting annual strategic goals and plans. Each business line rolls out 4 or more strategic annual "must win battles", which are impossible to focus on for middle management and the front lines. This company is a heavy process driven firm, with many unnecessary steps, hand offs, and levels of approval, which delay customer delivery and suck many hours away from productive pursuits.

Continue to foster an employee centric culture. Set fewer "must win battles" in each business line, but focus harder on those few that are selected. Streamline processes to improve productivity. Why on earth do I need to fill out a form, send it to India, so they can update the client account? Last I checked, I have a keyboard at my office.

Always reorganizing

Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at KONE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, very supportive, team based.

Cons

Limited product selection versus competition.

Enjoyable with great work life balance

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Allen, TX

I have been working at KONE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home - 1 day a week program/flex schedule
    Casual corporate environment
    company provides necessary resources and supplies
    Benefits are solid
    Pay is fair
    Co-workers - Awesome & very respectful

Cons

Organization needs to be more co-hesive between frontline and supply line operations. Organization could benefit from balancing from a pull through the flow process with a push process flow

Invest more in the development of your people. Do not be afraid to think outside the box in your hiring practices just because we've always hired "elevator" people doesnt mean that others outside of this industry cannot be good fit infact they often are better because they have a benchmark for creative solutions.

Mechanical Engineer

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in McKinney, TX

I worked at KONE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office environment is pretty laid back for the most part.

Cons

Management philosophy is strange. Not very good at promoting from within. If you are applying to this company, and have experience it will probably look golden.

Might be a more pleasant workplace environment if you showed more appreciation to dedicated existing employees rather than new hires with no industry experience.

Employee Focused But in Need of Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

I have been working at KONE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

As an organization KONE is very focused on its employees and tries to make the right decisions in support of their employees. Will try and provide the appropriate tools and processes to aid employees in doing their work as well as providing development opportunities.

Cons

Even though KONE is a global company, they run extremely lean and in many ways run it like a small company. Sr. Leadership is hyper focused on fixed cost and management of headcount across the organization. There seems to be a check the box mentality when it comes to staff functions pushing initiatives and failing to see impact on the front line business. Better balance between coporate initiatives and running the day-to-day business is needed.

Great Company

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Allen, TX

I worked at KONE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, emphasizes teamwork, global company

Cons

Needs to invest more in their employees, not much room for advancement in local offices

Surreal

I have been working at KONE full-time

Pros

Challenging and complex work environment

Cons

Tedious and complex processes in the company

Simplify Processes and engage employees

Long term employee with limited career opportunities

Current Employee - Superintendent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Superintendent in Houston, TX

I have been working at KONE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible atmosphere. Good balance for work and personal life.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement in field.

Work to retain your skilled employees and improve career path.