KONE

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

KONE President & CEO Henrik Ehrnrooth

Henrik Ehrnrooth

Good company, with a good future, in a challenged industry.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe company is family owned so it tends to take a longer view on strategies and implementation. But, that is not to say that shorter term business metrics and performance are not important or pressed. The company is generally very cooperative (from an assistance and working together perspective) across business lines, and has made significant investments in tools, tracking, and field implementation. The industry is a difficult one, with rising costs and flat or declining revenues. But, as compared to the other big 3 companies, KONE has tended to hold its investment in its people, products, and innovation. Lots of career advancement potential, nationally and internationally, without the need to have an MBA. The only company I have worked for that annually surveys it's employees and shares the feedback openly with all. The company has some good employee centric policies and benefits. The only elevator firm with a defined benefit pension plan on top of a matching 401k.

ConsMostly industry driven, due to revenue deterioration amid cost increases. The entire industry is killing itself with pricing models. This forces frequent changes, re-organizations, and rotating areas of focus. KONE suffers from the 2-3 year plan of major revamping of areas, management, etc. I often wonder if top management talks to each other when setting annual strategic goals and plans. Each business line rolls out 4 or more strategic annual "must win battles", which are impossible to focus on for middle management and the front lines. This company is a heavy process driven firm, with many unnecessary steps, hand offs, and levels of approval, which delay customer delivery and suck many hours away from productive pursuits.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster an employee centric culture. Set fewer "must win battles" in each business line, but focus harder on those few that are selected. Streamline processes to improve productivity. Why on earth do I need to fill out a form, send it to India, so they can update the client account? Last I checked, I have a keyboard at my office.

Always reorganizing

District Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people, very supportive, team based.

ConsLimited product selection versus competition.

Enjoyable with great work life balance

Logistics Manager (Current Employee) Allen, TX

ProsWork from home - 1 day a week program/flex schedule
    Casual corporate environment
    company provides necessary resources and supplies
    Benefits are solid
    Pay is fair
    Co-workers - Awesome & very respectful

ConsOrganization needs to be more co-hesive between frontline and supply line operations. Organization could benefit from balancing from a pull through the flow process with a push process flow

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in the development of your people. Do not be afraid to think outside the box in your hiring practices just because we've always hired "elevator" people doesnt mean that others outside of this industry cannot be good fit infact they often are better because they have a benchmark for creative solutions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mechanical Engineer

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) McKinney, TX

ProsOffice environment is pretty laid back for the most part.

ConsManagement philosophy is strange. Not very good at promoting from within. If you are applying to this company, and have experience it will probably look golden.

Advice to Senior ManagementMight be a more pleasant workplace environment if you showed more appreciation to dedicated existing employees rather than new hires with no industry experience.

Employee Focused But in Need of Balance

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lisle, IL

ProsAs an organization KONE is very focused on its employees and tries to make the right decisions in support of their employees. Will try and provide the appropriate tools and processes to aid employees in doing their work as well as providing development opportunities.

ConsEven though KONE is a global company, they run extremely lean and in many ways run it like a small company. Sr. Leadership is hyper focused on fixed cost and management of headcount across the organization. There seems to be a check the box mentality when it comes to staff functions pushing initiatives and failing to see impact on the front line business. Better balance between coporate initiatives and running the day-to-day business is needed.

Great Company

Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) Allen, TX

ProsGreat atmosphere, emphasizes teamwork, global company

ConsNeeds to invest more in their employees, not much room for advancement in local offices

Surreal

ProsChallenging and complex work environment

ConsTedious and complex processes in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify Processes and engage employees

Long term employee with limited career opportunities

Superintendent (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlexible atmosphere. Good balance for work and personal life.

ConsLimited opportunities for advancement in field.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to retain your skilled employees and improve career path.

Sales Manager

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCorporation cares about its employees personal well-being and professional growth

ConsVertical Transportation Industry, in general

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify

KONE is about as competitive as a quarterback with a broken throwing arm.

Service Sales Representative (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIf you can figure out the business, you can get a job at a different elevator company!!

ConsManagement changes all the time! They fire the management on average ever 1.5 years and then try to rebuild, but by the time they hire new managers, the other manager get fired. It's a vicious cycle of impatient people in Finland trying to instantly turn around a slow cycle business in the US.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to fire yourselves or get a backbone, but I recommend firing yourself.

Worked for KONE? Contribute to the Community!