KPMG

Updated Mar 18, 2014

KPMG Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

74 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to start your career if you can hang with the tough environment

Manager Advisory (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG

Pros- Exposure to many fortune 500 companies and c-level execs
- Accelerated learning and professional development
- Good benefits
- 10%-20% annual pay increase each year (at least for exceptional performers)

Cons- Travel, long hours, tough/strict work environment
- Structured and bureaucratic culture
- Promotions seem based on firm politics
- Risk adverse. Lots of red tape (compared to other big 4)
- Poor usage of technology. PCs are frequently breaking and we still use hardcopy workpapers, forms, etc.
- Poor knowledge sharing between practices, business units, and locations

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove all of the cons. :)

Great place to work

Intern, Advisory (Former Employee)

I worked at KPMG

Pros- Great culture, people who work there are laid-back and down-to-earth
- Solid benefits, especially days off with pay

Cons- Career prospects may be less than at other firms
- Compensation could be improved

Advice to Senior Management- Engage associates more on big picture of a project

Good place to advance your career, tough hours

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG

ProsGreat vacation time (Paid)
Great Medical Benefits
If you enjoy working in groups, very enjoyable work atmosphere
Clear track for advancement
Early opportunity for leadership oppourtunity

ConsLong hours, and not only during "busy season", expect an average of 50-60 hour weeks, with the worst of them being close 100 hour weeks.
Pay is decent for someone coming out of college, but don't calculate your wage per hour, it may be discouraging.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the work of your best workers by rewarding them with larger bonuses (or any bonus in some cases) at the end of the year

Dissapointed about KPMG

I have been working at KPMG

ProsGreat place to start your career as a college grad. you get exposure to different clients and business models.

ConsManagement often times do not know how to manage staff and budgets - often requiring competent staff to clean up projects or eat hours while juggling multiple projects. Managers often micromanage for no partilcular reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff about morale and stop causing competent staff to leave because you are play politics

Long hours, stingy salaries, unreasonable project deadlines, and stressful work environment

Senior Audit Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at KPMG

ProsWorking for KPMG proves that you are a strong candidate with the ability to roll up your sleves and get the job done. You also get access to the books and records of some very reputable clients that provide meaningful experience for your career later on down the line. The other professionals working with you are you're greatest resource and are exceptional friends and colleagues.

ConsPrepare to have no life outside of work. Never in my life could I have ever imagined working this much. You work on weekends, sometimes 7 days a week, often times without charging the time or getting recognized for putting in the effort to meet unreasonable budget and time deadlines that your managers will never commend you on. Prepare for 40-55 hr work weeks during summer and 80-100+ hr work weeks from September-April.

Your clients will never be pleased to see you, no matter how good you are, and they will in fact make that known to you at all times. Some are often very difficult to work with or get the right information from.

On top of everything, the salaries they are offering are much lower than the mid tier firms for some unknown reason and when you calculate the number of hours you put in compared to your pay you might be making somewhere near $12/hr while they charge the client $350/hr for your services.

They give you 25 days PTO but implemented 7 days of mandatory PTO, further reducing your paid vacation/sick time to about 18 days. Its not uncommon to get bad performance reviews for taking PTO at times that are not advantageous to the firm. For example, if you book a vacation a year in advance and due to client push back the engagement doesn't finish on time but you leave for vacation, that will negatively be frowned upon no matter how out of your hands the situation may be.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's no upper feedback channels from senior associates no matter what you may say or claim to be a "senior council". Everyone is overworked and underpaid and it really shows how top heavy and selfish the partnership group is. Not exactly sure why anyone would want to choose this as their career if they knew what they were getting into. By the way, good job on managing your earnings this year and implementing mandatory minimum 10 hour work days during our supposed summer "slow-time" to speed up the revenue recognition. How's that for ironic.

KPMG

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at KPMG

ProsGreat career opportunities, had tons of interviews after i left the firm, still looks great on my resume, learned a lot

ConsWe typically worked a lot of hours, sometimes were thrown into a new industry and new clients and expected to know stuff right away.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are charging so much money from the clients, let some of it come down to the employee levels, people are working like crazy, let them enjoy the compensation at least

Good opportunity for college grads.

Audit Senior Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG

ProsI've generally worked with very talented people. The clients I've worked on have given me a good breadth of experience. There are many training opportunities which are generally very effective.

ConsThe company's pay progression is slower than advertised at college recruiting events, which is discouraging to many inside the firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Company's says that it pays market, which is true if you're considering just its fellow big 4 competitors. However, considering the outside market of smaller firms, industry, etc., the total compensation package doesn't measure up.

KPMG Comments

I have been working at KPMG

ProsLots of vacation days given

ConsLack of transparency with management's initiatives and raises/promotions/bonuses, promotions are difficult, minimal employee appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementLayoffs handled poorly

Great Place to work

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG

Pros25 personal days off from the first year of employment. No other company gives that.

Good opportunities for international rotation.

ConsManagement is risk averse, particularly on the advisory practices.

Be prepared to travel a lot for work, particularly in the advisory practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be less risk averse

KPMG (all you can be)

Audit Senior Associate II (Current Employee)

I have been working at KPMG

Pros-Great resume builder and place to start a career
-Great people
-Great place to learn what you are interested in.

Cons-Long hours and low compensation
-First few year you do remedial tasks like verifying numbers foot and cross-foot
-Controller role in company is most likely destination if you stay past manager.

Advice to Senior Management-Compensation is not at market, other BIG 4 pay more in the same market.
-Reduce the remedial tasks first and second years perform.

Worked for KPMG? Contribute to the Community!

KPMG Videos

KPMG – Why Work for Us?

Careers with KPMG From career development to global opportunities, KPMG helps connect you to a variety of ways to build the career you've always wanted. You've worked hard. You've planned well. You've developed your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KPMG reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KPMG CEO John B. Veihmeyer . All 74 reviews posted anonymously by KPMG employees.