KPMG Reviews

Reset
3.6
KPMG Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer
John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Lots of days off - work life balance (in 192 reviews)

• Great place to start your career (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is heavily slanted on the "Work" end of the spectrum (in 457 reviews)

• Long hours especially during busy season (in 502 reviews)

4,560 Employee Reviews

Not a good place to start right out of college

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good pay, GREAT vacation time. Trainings are always fun.

Cons

Very little diverstiy and support from Management. Horrible work life balance. Very little recognition and feedback. Fairness & respect isn't something that is given outright. Most associates do not last more than a year or two. The lifestyle and the hours are very demanding. Expect to be at work for more than 12 hours a day and weekends, if required. Make sure you get along with your PM because they hold your career in their hands. Would not recommend working at this company to anyone who is at all unsure of their future career goals.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive of associates. Work can be very stressful at KPMG--make sure that your associates are happy. If they are not, the overall audit work produced will suffer.

Truths that should be considered before going Big 4.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

The people at KPMG are great. It is extremely important to choose a firm where you enjoy the people you've met during recruiting because these will be the people you work day in and day out, hour after hour and on weekends. If you don't enjoy their company, then there will be few things about your job that will be positive. I enjoy the guidance I get from my manager but I will say that I am lucky in that respect as most managers are not as people oriented as mine. I really believe that KPMG wants to help their people succeed, but they do stray from the path.

Cons

KPMG is political. One thing that I've definately learned is that you don't just work for the office that hired you but you work for Nationals. In this way, your office doesn't always have the pull. If a job comes up in another part of the country that needs someone, they can pull you like that and there is little to nothing that you can do about it. Also, raises and bonuses are political. If you work on the larger clients that bring in more of the revenue then your busy season will most likely be shorter, a little easier because of prior year workpapers, and you'll get more praise at the end of the day. If you get put on small clients, especially new clients, you'll be working longer hours, more weekends, and a much longer busy season. Also, your budgets will be too small for the work that needs to be done, you may be hinted at to eat hours so that the job doesn't go over budget, and your bonus and raise will be effected because the job wasn't profitable. I know of VERY few small jobs that have stayed consistently under budget and no first year jobs that stayed under budget. New comers should try and request the job they want to be on because placement very rarely changes after you begin. KPMG has terrible technology and by far the worst of the Big 4 firms. Although they are currently striving to produce a paperless audit soon, based on other current technology, I expect the paperless audit to be terrible for atleast a couple of years. These are things that are specific to KPMG. But I will emphasize that I have friends that work at all the Big 4 firms and every firm definately has its problems, especially with the politics of the firm. A good way to look at Big 4 accounting is as a stepping stone for the rest of your life. The average turnover is 2.5 years. There is a reason for this. An individuals time is measured in how many late nights he can work, how much condescension he can take from management, and how willing he is to give up his life for a few years. I would tell someone to go to a small, local firm if one wants to do auditing as a career.

Advice to Management

I think senior management should consider the different situations that employees are in.

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Orlando, FL

Pros

Getting paid a decent salary 5 weeks vacation Good advancement opportunities Good training Excellent Continuing education Good 401k plan

Cons

Working 70+ hours a week Did not pay for additional college No work/life balance Treated as expendable being expected to come in on Saturdays and Sundays without asking Never giving positive feedback Not giving timely review notes Not giving informative evaluations Being paid less than interns Giving too much responsibility too early Being talked down to Management not communicating amongst one another Management not clearly communicating objectives Management needs to be more straight forward with their employees Benefits were too expensive

Advice to Management

Don't work employees to death

This is a partnership, so management only cares about their OWN bottom line instead of employees happiness.

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

None at all... what's there?

Cons

Long hours, politics, backstabbing. This is a partnership, so management only cares about their OWN bottom line. During busy season, you are REQUIRED to work 50 hours a week. But if there is only 1 project with 40 CHARGEABLE hours, what do you do? Take another project that will take NOT 10 hours / week extra but another 4 hrs / day minimum.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking about your bottom line!

A resume builder and little more

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

KPMG is a resume builder for future jobs. Additionally, if you see your life goal as becoming a partner and securing that massive salary while completely detaching yourself from your family and friends then it is a great place to build a monitarily wealthy career 10 - 15 years down the line.

Cons

KPMG spends significant time promoting its brand and selling itself as one of the greatest employers to work for. While benefits are good, they are coupled with and rather negated by low salaries (considering the time and knowledge commitment required to perform the job) and very long hours. 5 weeks PTO is somewhat negated by the massive overtime commitment. With large jobs the firm is frequently successful in billing for its employees’ overtime and all such billings largely go into the Partners’ pockets. KPMG very sneakily appeals most effectively to its core demographic, i.e. recent college graduates (typically 26 and under). As part of this core demographic we are treated as the minions of the firm and are drawn in through the firm making use of such techniques as plying us with alcohol and bringing us in as a cohesive "starting class" in order that we feel a certain bond with our peers and thus feel guilty about saying a bad word about the firm.

Advice to Management

Provide constructive feedback and do so continuously. Recognize employees’ achievements more consistently. Do not belittle staff. Do not say you are one thing and be another. If you refuse to pay larger salaries then pay real bonuses. The bonuses below manager level are severely poor. Stop selling the brand. It is insulting that you say how good KPMG is when you negate all the down sides. It insults the intelligence of your employees. Recognize clearly (with benefit policies and practices) the difference between client facing staff, non-client facing staff, and administrative staff. Cease the practice of informing all staff and seniors that they must stay until manager if they way to have a shot in life. This is not true and assumes a lot about the employees’ desires and needs in life. Be more consistent in reviewing techniques. Make better use of upward feedback and take the responses into account in assessing managers’ competency.

Know what you are getting into.

Former Employee - Associate, IT Advisory in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Associate, IT Advisory in McLean, VA

Pros

If you want to get real world experience for working with many clients in a compressed timeframe. I recently worked for KPMG for a few years. I agree with most of the comments I read on here. KPMG is a good place to work for a couple of years to get their name on your resume and that's about it. I also worked for a "second tier" firm for a while before KPMG and quite honestly, KPMG's employees are no more competent than the second tier firm I worked for. While your experience will vary on who you end up working with, the best at KPMG were certainly no better than those at the other firm I worked at.

Cons

You are working a minimum of 15 hour work days during high utilization periods. Management typically sell work to clients with unreasonable deadlines that are usually hard-set and cannot be changed. You have to prepare lots of binders for your projects, most of the BIG 4 companies have electronic workpapers, however KPMG has not made the step. While there are some good people at KPMG, I wouldn't recommend working there. The only way I would recommend somebody take a job there is if they absolutely have their mind set on working for a Big Four firm and have gotten turned down by Deloitte, PwC, and E&Y. While the other three firms may or may not have an environment similar to KPMG, they at least have the top technological tools for you to use. If you don't care whether you work for a Big Four firm or not, I would recommend going to either Grant Thornton, RMS McGladrey, or BDO. At the firm I was at, I felt the partners were a lot more honest and down to earth than at KPMG. While I still had to work long hours, it usually wasn't as long as at KPMG and it was never due to lack of technology slowing us down.

Advice to Management

Invest the time to plan your budgets, timelines and deliverables include the appropriate resource levels.

Not a company to work for, unless you want to commit career suicide.

Former Employee - Senior Associate, IT Advisory in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate, IT Advisory in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There is not one good reason to work for KPMG, unless you want to commit career suicide. You can find better.

Cons

1. Upper management - Too many levels, unlikely to voice any concerns on how projects are being run. 2. Senior management does not know what senior managers are doing in regards to running the business like a cheap MultiLevel Marketing scheme. 3. For an Audit firm they are not honest as they practice double booking clients, or at least some senior managers. 4. No work life balance - In fact was hired on for 40 hour weeks and then told that we needed to do 50 hour weeks to catch up on work (even though the client was charged for the extra time). This in normal project would be called going over budget or deadlines, this would not be a best practice exercise for companies who want to grow. 5. Not personable - very cold and corporate 6. Sarbanes Oxley is the only thing keeping this company floating.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention on how business is being conducted by Senior managers. Senior Managers are suppose to bring in customers (SALES) but many run the business like a MultiLevel Marketing scheme - Promise high and deliver low to the clients and employees.

KPMG - A package that one should not touch with a 10 foot pole

Former Employee - Advisory Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Associate in Irvine, CA

Pros

Looks good on CV. Overall as one of the Big 4 it helps open doors in industries. You can make good networks.

Cons

Choosing to work in KPMG is a downside. Everything is a big fat lie. The whole work like policy is a joke. Internal politicking is rife. Managers are ignorant buffoons who do not even know their heads from their behinds. Partners are worse. you have to fight for projects. Managers form their own dog groups and its hard to get out of a group and get projects. Internal transfers, assignments and rotations are hard to get by. All the stuff that is said in the HR presentations is just gimmick. The salary package is the worst. The lowest paid of all the big 4 and they try to compensate by showing the great added benefits. Hog wash

Advice to Management

Get a life. Treat your employees with respect. One day these employees will be ruling over you.

Work/Life is a concept that's different to everyone, and KPMG certainly proves that.

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Mountain View, CA

Pros

25 days of PTO. Nice people to work with at the staff level.

Cons

Although 25 days of PTO are available, the work/life balance is a joke for half the staff and the 25 days go unused. Half the staff is experienced and competent, hence they get worked to death while the other half gets to sit around studying for the CPA exam cause no one wants to use them. There's no encouragement to excel, because if you do, you just get a lot of work and at the end of the day, you're rated the same as everyone else and paid the same as everyone else cause management is too caught up in their ERP to figure out what's really going on in the cubes.

Advice to Management

Take some management classes and figure out how to work with people. Take the time to figure out how the firm can retain and create competent people, rather than push out their most talented workers.

11. I do not know who Mike Wareing is.

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Experience and learning opportunity when your young

Cons

Low Bonus, Lack of Respect for the Individual

Advice to Management

Learn to show employees the same level of loyality that they show Senior Management. Have respect for the individual.

Showing 4,560 of 4,928 reviews