KPMG US

KPMG US Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 18, 2014

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Good job security, decent work life balance except during Tax Season, good benefits(in 182 reviews)

• Great place to start work if you want to see a lot of different things(in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit(in 418 reviews)

• Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment(in 469 reviews)

107 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great place to build a career

Partner (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Proslots of options to move laterally and above including geographies and products.

Conshigh expectations and travel which is not unusual

Old Boys Club

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood benefits
    Competitive Salary
    Flexible work environment

ConsDecisions are made at a glacial pace.
    Little to no innovation
    No career path for non-client facing staff
    Partners & Managing Directors rewarded for short-term behavior -- every man for himself
    Incredibly risk adverse
    No global thinking

Great company to work for

Senior Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOffers a lot of growth opportunity

ConsCan do better at managing work-life balance

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

KPMG is an excellent professional services firm with many opportunities available. They hire top-notch talent!

Partner (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMore relaxed, collegial culture established by career KPMG leadership, flexibility to move into other roles within the Firm, a "band of brothers" set of relationships that are developed.

ConsThe former Andersen Partners diluted/changed the culture in Advisory to more dog-eat-dog set of values, too much focus on short-term results, Former Andersen partners brought bad habits of saying one thing and doing the opposite that tarnished the integrity of the leadership team.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your partners. Senior partner leaders must do what they say and learn to "walk the talk."

Good career jump starter

Tax Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat place to start your career; somewhat flexible working hours; lots of vacation days

ConsUnpredictable schedule; long hours during busy season; difficult to achieve work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay and bonus

A very great experience with this company.

Advisory Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat people to work with and a very open environment. Everyone is very helpful if you are ever struggling with anything.

ConsLocal clients can sometimes be a challenge to get to if you are new to the city. However, the local transportation is easy to navigate once you get the hang of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping investing in young talent, especially in the advisory practice.

I have been working with KPMG in Audit for a few months.

Audit Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Great industry exposure and a variety of private and public companies.
    - Great trainings and support available.
    - You learn a lot in a very short amount of time.
    - Great opportunities for function transfers, relocations and international rotations.

Cons- Long hours during busy season and sometimes multiple busy seasons.

Rotating door type of company

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSalaries are competitive with other consultant companies

ConsThey don't care about their employees, only the money they make. Everyone is dispensable I know, but at this company it's blatant obvious.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen employees leave after a year, and you have such high turnover, think about why? And think those people who leave will be at other companies you are trying to create business with.

Great people and a great culture.

Advisory Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEveryone has my best interest at heart.

ConsIt can be a lot of hours one minute or very slow the next. It's hard to have any consistency in Advisory.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to utilize more potential in your employees.

Clients rule, consultants are expected to meet client expectations even when those expectations are unreasonable.

Management Consulting Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOpportunity to work with other bright, talented consultants

ConsPartners don't do a great job of managing client expectations and making sure that the work really adds value (as opposed to looking good on paper)

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!