KPMG US Reviews

Reset
3.9
KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer
John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Lots of days off - work life balance (in 192 reviews)

• Great place to start your career (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is heavily slanted on the "Work" end of the spectrum (in 457 reviews)

• Long hours especially during busy season (in 502 reviews)

What work life balance?

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

-If you want to learn a lot in a short amount of time, this is the place to do it -Nice working with people that are all in your age group -Given a lot of responsibility at young age and can interact with many clients

Cons

-There is no work life balance- period -Management will spare no cost to get the job done -Employees strained past their means

Advice to Management

Do not use a billable hour project management. It kills employees and kills efficiency. Employees shouldn't be expected to have no life.

Bad Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Tax Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Interesting, challenging work Latest technology Firm attempts to give you training, although gives you too much irrelevant information some times

Cons

Atrocious work/life balance - many employees are miserable Some departments don't interact much socially (not talking about outside work, but the employees don't talk or interact at all within some departments) At the intern level, I was already starting to specialize in a particular industry and business organization - I wanted a more broad experience (I think audit gets more broad experiences, though)

Advice to Management

Work on the work/life balance. So many employees hate their hours and aren't able to pursue a social or family life outside of work.

Horrible. Interviewing for other positions.

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

-Good name on my resume -They pay for your meals as you work at the client 16 hours per day

Cons

-Pay is horrible compared to both hours work and industry. -Everyone keeps finding a new job leaving jobs further understaffed -Most small firms have technology lightyears ahead of KPMG -Ethics of Partner's and Sr. Managers are questionable at best. -Work Life balance doesn't exist. We would understand if you actually paid us decent money, but during bust season I make $12 an hour for someone with a masters and 3 years experiance. -Chicago office makes worst of the Big4 reputation true. -The smartest leave as seniors, leaving the least compentent to manage the firm. -Seniors make little more than associates, but basically run the whole audit. -Client locations are often an hour commute, maing 16 work days even longer.

Advice to Management

-Pay raises. Everyone is looking for new jobs (that's not an exageration eveyone of my friends here are speaking with recuiters). -Hire more people. We know that audit fees are declining, but either loose a bid, or take the cut out of your draws, we can't work any longer or more efficiently (esp when you impose an inferior tool like E-audit on us). -Worry about keeping Seniors and managers at the firm before brining in new people. We need more seniors and have been expected to do far more than anyone is capable, but for the same insultingly low wage.

No Work/Life Balance and No Appreciation = Time to Quit

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-5 weeks of PTO and at times, flexible schedules -Learn a lot of technical skills in a short amount of time

Cons

-Work/Life balance does not exist. I worked in the Real Estate Tax group and management expected you to be available to work at all times, such as midnight in early November. When you are not in busy season, they will loan you or your support out to another group so even when you are supposed to have a 9-5 type of schedule, you do not. I believe a lot of this has to do with the partners getting pressure to keep everyone's utilization up -Zero appreciation for the work you do -No communication regarding staffing or changes within the group -Almost everyone below manager absolutely hates their job -No action is taken on feedback; they do not care about workplace satisfaction because they will burn you out until you quit because there are 25 people willing to replace you at any moment -The lack of variable compensation for the people putting in the most hours is terrible, if there even is any -If you are valued within the group, they sometimes block you from transferring to another group or doing a rotation -Mixed messages regarding how to use the offshore team and the associates -Poor planning leads to the same people being overworked or underutilized. Essentially, the better performer you are, the more work you get -Related to the point above, the few good people in the group become frustrated and burnt out, and leave -The partners only care about the bottom line, so you hear a lot about firm/group performance. However, when the firm/group does well, you do not share in any of the benefits. Why should I kill myself for a modest salary without overtime to make money for other people? -The ratings system is meant to be a 5-point scale, with 1 being the top performers and 5 being the equivalent of a pink slip. However, in this group, only 3s and 4s are given. These low ratings impact compensation and ability to do rotation -There are no real role models in the group for non-management. All of management has been there for 10+ years and have a very distorted view. Additionally, there are no minorities and very few women in senior management -For such a large and profitable firm, the benefits are very mediocre, especially medical and the 401(k) match -The firm rescinds any 401(k) matching contributions to employees that leave before spending 5 years with the firm. I realize they don't want to pay it for short-term employees, but given the mindset of burning out your resources, this makes the 401(k) match non-existent for most

Advice to Management

-Listen to the Seniors and Staff. Their advice falls on deaf ears just because they are not management, but they are the ones in the trenches actually doing the work -If you are going to preach work/life balance to every recruit, you should actually practice it -Teach management better people skills. I'm not sure how, but it seems like the vast majority of management couldn't have a conversation with their spouse, let alone co-workers

6. Rotating door type of company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries are competitive with other consultant companies

Cons

They don't care about their employees, only the money they make. Everyone is dispensable I know, but at this company it's blatant obvious.

Advice to Management

When employees leave after a year, and you have such high turnover, think about why? And think those people who leave will be at other companies you are trying to create business with.

7. Young home grow team lacks futuristic vision. Find comfort in own and now scope for improvement

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

New office in Chicago. Though not space friendly yet new in look.

Cons

Poor work life balance. I have seen almost 70% attrition in my team. Most managers grew up their hence lack dynamic leadership. Its like frog in the well.

Advice to Management

Create work life balance, give opportunity to hear to new people and not to go by gossips of old teens of the team.

8. KPMG is a great place to grow, but the hours can get quite ridiculous

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

You do get a great experience of being able to audit various large international firms. In addition, from a job straight from college, you learn a great aspect of financial accounting and the different transactions that occur. For example, in public accounting, you learn a typical company's fixed assets, accounts receivable, accounts payables, fixed assets, inventory, cash, pensions or 401K plans, etc.

Cons

You can work many hours and weekends without even a thanks from management. It appears that the lower levels can be blamed for management's mistakes in budgeting and other matters.

Advice to Management

Everyone is in this together, therefore it should be apparent that all personel throughout the hierarchy should take the good with the bad.

9. don't work here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

a lot of vacation time

Cons

too many to talk about here

Advice to Management

treat employees better

10. Think before you want to work for KPMG

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

Big name and worldwide recognition

Cons

crazy hours and indifferent management style.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect.

11. Great place to work, bad work

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Decent hours Great benefits Treated well positive atmosphere Management is very understanding of taking personal time off Actively manage career progression lots of PTO

Cons

Work is dissatisfying and largely meaningless to the client. We are just cost, no tangible benefit. Because the client only hires us because they are required to or it helps them manage risk, the quality of our analysis is not as important as the quantity.

Advice to Management

Management should do a better job of explaining the business to potential hires. I don't understand the value proposition we deliver, management should communicate it.

Showing 129 of 3,627 reviews