KPMG US

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.5 2,960 reviews

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Good job security, decent work life balance except during Tax Season, good benefits(in 182 reviews)

• Great place to start work if you want to see a lot of different things(in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit(in 418 reviews)

• Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment(in 469 reviews)

2,960 Employee Reviews

Audit Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to learn. Training is robust. You are quickly thrown into the line of fire so to speak and so you have to quickly adapt and learn on your feet to ensure you meet Managers expectations. Learned a lot in the short time I worked there.

ConsThe long hours, while a good learning opportunity are demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage new hires.

Great place for anyone to start a career - not the right place for me to spend most of it.

Audit Manager (Current Employee) Norfolk, VA

ProsThe compensation is fair, the benefits and trainings are good and the people are extremely bright for the most part. You learn a great deal quickly.

ConsEngagement budgets are often unrealistic which results in overscheduling, working on multiple engagements simultaneously and dealing with terrible work-life balance to meet deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetaining top talent that doesn't intend to pursue the partner track would be more achievable if budgets were more realistically set.

Great global employer

Management (Current Employee)

ProsGood team culture, great time off benefits

ConsPressure on staff due to cost cutting

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to increasing bureaucracy and inefficient internal processes and controls

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

KPMG was an excellent training ground for anyone interested in a career in accounting/finance.

Audit Senior Accountant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsKPMG provided me opportunities to learn a great deal and assume meaningful responsibility in a very short period of time. The work was challenging and I felt I was recognized and rewarded appropriately for my efforts and contributions.

ConsFor me, the work became repetitive after a few years. The learning curve flattened and I didn't have the patience to jump through all the hoops required to continue advancing through the different layers of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep people challenged.

Excellent company to work for

Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe best company I have worked for hands down.

ConsGetting through the bureaucratic red tape is a real pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease investments around bleeding edge IT conferences for the technology team.

The Most Oppressive Place I Ever Worked

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsLearn the profession; interesting work, but not a lot of variety. Great junior people; eager to learn and willing to lend a hand. A few terrific senior partners; too bad I didn't work for them. Looks great on a resume when you go for the next job. I learned all I could about the particular area I worked in spite of the overwhelmingly bad management. Most of the people I worked with are long gone.

ConsI was treated like second class scum by my senior manager, who did nothing to help me advance my career. When asking a question to expand my knowledge and improve my performance I was called "stupid," I was derided for not already knowing the answer, and was told to "go look it up in a book and when you have the answer then come tell me." I had another direct female manager who came in late every morning, obviously hungover, slopping coffee all over herself, and would come to me and say "[my name] I'm not going to take this crap from you anymore" and other such pleasant greetings in front of all my co-workers. Never was I complimented on my work product or how hard I worked. Yet, when I finally left the company, there were 17 people at my going away luncheon, including several senior partners. But of course, the person who I had slaved for for over 7 years had a convenient excuse not to show up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeware the sycophants who suck up to senior management but treat their junior staff like chattel. Treat people with dignity and respect; help people who are eager to learn new skills and enhance their performance instead of putting them down.

Interesting and challenging, but very tiring.

ProsThe 5 weeks of paid vacation is amazing, and sometimes an additional sabbatical program is also offered. Co-workers are very nice and helpful almost all the time. Great start for a career out of college.

ConsWork/life balance is non-existent during busy season. Depending on luck, busy season could last more than 3 months. If a team doesn't get along, the days can become very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't burn out the staff and take some time to review some of their schedules.

Associate

Audit Associate (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsVery Bright people, highly motivated, and interesting

ConsLong Hours, little reaction from managers and upper management. Treat you poorly due to high turnover in staffing. Sinking ship, not a secret that they are understaffed which puts immense pressure on current employees. Inexperience first years are expected to perform work of a 3rd year, no training just work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSinki

modern slavery

Tax Senior Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

Proslots of resources, intelligent people

Consfeels like another cog on the wheel

Great place to start accounting career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training is awesome, lots to learn.

ConsVery long hours. The seniors can be a little difficult to work with for a new comer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a little attention to the employees needs

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!