KPMG US

Updated Jun 16, 2014

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A solid platform for a successful career.

Audit Associate (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGreat experience for career advancement.

ConsPoor Work/life balance. Well below average pay in comparison to hours worked

Good Eperience

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsI love the people that I work with. It is a great place to start a career as you see many different companies and are exposed to different business processes along the way.

ConsThe hours are sometimes unbearable. What is expected of you is so draining. There are so many politics involved, that how good of a job you do has very little meaning.

Senior Audit Associate

Audit Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

Pros-Great people
    -Extensive training opportunities
    -Flexible hours during non year-end engagements
    -Social events
    -Friendly atmosphere - Partners and senior managers take an interest in employees and want to see them succeed.

Cons-Politics - as you can imagine for a company this size, there are a lot of politics being played.
    -Scheduling Uncertainty - If an engagement you were scheduled to no longer needs you, you might be put on an out of town engagement in the middle of nowhere working 70 hour weeks. This can be difficult to plan around.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you had to put in face time when you came up in the organization doesn't mean it still needs to be that way. Allow people to leave when the work gets done, whether that is at 5pm or 11pm. This has been steadily improving but can still be seen.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Junior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGreat sense of teamwork and positive attitude

ConsThere are long hours here

Advice to Senior ManagementMore accountability for juniors

Great way to launch your career - might want to leave after 2-3 years

Tax Associate (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsCareer potential, vacation, flexibility in working hours, flexibility in getting away from the office for dr apts etc, looks great on your resume, benefits

ConsWork/life balance is seen as 'we will give you a portable monitor so you can go home for dinner but then log on after', being able to actually take vacation without having to log on, they pretty much expect you to stay 2-3 years and work very hard - then you burn out - a few decide its worth it to and stay

A good place to start your consultant career

Associate (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsTeaches you the basics of what a good consultant: dependability, timeliness, accuracy of work, the pecking order, and networking

ConsIf you're not a self-starter, it can be difficult to get ahead here. "Be hungry" is a good motto to have.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to develop your staff, develop some methodologies or tools to empower the staff, and show some more appreciation. The last one goes a long way.

Advisory Practice

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGreat place to work.. Good work life balance..Great people who care about your career and your personal life

ConsVery structured promotion system.. Mostly after 3 years... Not a ton of direction...Must be very self motivating

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what you are doing in growing the advisory practice... Try to get more high level investing work

Great opportunites for young and old

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsWide range of industries served make for a diverse field of employees. Don't need to be a numbers person to contribute.

ConsLimited by the individual. We can all get in the way. Best plan is to set a course and stick with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdhere to SOX guidlines

Great place to learn and develop your career

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsExposure to many companies and industries
    Excellent training opportunities
    Networking with colleagues and clients
    Various projects provide an opportunity to find your strengths

Having KPMG on the resume opens a lot of doors

ConsLong hours
    Several projects were understaffed

There is a lot of travel which can be a desired attribute until it wears on you.

While having KPMG on the resume opens doors, coming from Advisory/Consulting, it is sometimes hard to explain or relate that experience in accounting interviews. Hiring managers typically come from Audit and they expect audit experience. Make sure that you are exposed to external audit engagements.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for signs that travel is wearing on good staff/managers.

senior tax associate

Tax Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

Prosthe name recognition. I guess the doors it opens after youre an alumni

Consobviously the hours are no fun. but perhaps the group i was in left a much more sour taste in my mouth than the hours. I'm sure its based off different groups, but i heard stories from other members complaining abou the same issues. too much politics for my taste

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training! i had zero training. was expected to learn the internal software on my own all the middle of a tax season.

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!

KPMG US Videos

KPMG US – Why Work for Us?

Careers with KPMG From career development to global opportunities, KPMG helps connect you to a variety of ways to build the career you've always wanted. You've worked hard. You've planned well. You've developed your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KPMG US reviews and ratings in Dallas, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KPMG US CEO John B. Veihmeyer . All 68 reviews posted anonymously by KPMG US employees.