KPMG US Reviews

Reset
3.3
KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer
John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Lots of days off - work life balance (in 192 reviews)

• Great place to start your career (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is heavily slanted on the "Work" end of the spectrum (in 457 reviews)

• Long hours especially during busy season (in 502 reviews)

1. KPMG Audit Intern

Current Intern - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Intern - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KPMG US as an intern

Pros

Great company to work for. The people are awesome and the experience and knowledge gained is unrivaled.

Cons

Long hours but this is expected in the industry

2. Auditor 1

Former Employee - Auditor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Auditor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

A lot of knowledge and experience. Promotions every year. One of the few places they take graduates.

Cons

No work vs home balance

3. I had a very tough time working here

Former Employee - Engagement Management Coordinator Support in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engagement Management Coordinator Support in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The perks of the company are great - for several days in the month you get to work at home. There are a lot of free lunches with fellow co-workers. 25 cent sodas.

Cons

From the first day to my last day, I suffered while working at the downtown Los Angeles location. I remember that on my first day, the first thing my boss told me while walking up to meet her was "oh Jesus Christ" for no reason at all. Well, that was a warm welcome. I was always made to feel that I was unwelcomed at the company and I am not sure why. No matter how much I put in terms of effort, I was always told some nonsense of how I could better do things. I would get stared at randomly with no effort to conceal it. I felt that some individuals were doing their best to get me fired. So much was the discomfort that I eventually had to talk with the Human Resources which led me to leaving the position. It was getting out of hand and I was no longer able to return to work. This is how bad it was. The training was abysmal. Training was a by-product of people's schedule. If there was time on their schedule for training, then there will be training. While in training, nothing was formal or organized. You just had to shadow fellow employees which was not the best way to go about this because of the nature of the position. Absolutely no manuals were given as a reference. You had to rely on asking questions to your peers. The company atmosphere was infected with the attitude of "I got hired here so I am awesome". Too many people had an inflated sense of themselves. Efforts were made to "prove" how they are better than you. If you made any attempt to seem intelligent about anything, this would be met with scorn. Overall, too much snootiness. Please keeps things into perspective. Too many times I was told that I was just a temp here and not a real employee. Well I will do respect, but I would not classify the job as having a complex nature. It just seemed like everyone worked there because of the perks and prestige. There was not a feel of substance to the workplace from many people. It just felt like many people worked there for the financial sustenance. This was apparent in the workplace morale and environment. This was also apparent in the effort given by employees in their work. It was also apparent from people randomly bothering you as they were not happy there. Sadly, the perks just served as a band-aid over the miserableness.

Advice to Management

Instead of being overconfident in yourselves, take a good hard reflection about yourselves. Don't just think because we are KPMG we must be doing everything right.

Senior Audit Associate

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides an opportunity for growth and the ability to work in different sectors with a prove track record.

Cons

Work/life balance, high turnover rate which can cause instability and extra stress, not the most transparent and can make you feel like an employee number more than a person.

Advice to Management

Should be more transparent, more open dialogue, and more emphasis on upward feedback as well as downward feedback.

6. Associate Director

Former Employee - Associate Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Compensation is competitive -Technology -Office perks (free breakfast, many free meals for events -Highly educated/skilled co-workers

Cons

-Work-life balance sorely lacking -Geared toward younger employees without families. Don't do a good job of letting employees adapt their career as life evolves. Its 120% all the time, or out. -"Last one standing" Management --- meaning the best A-team people get burned out and leave earlier in their careers, and it seems many upper management job go to the B or C team employees who win a war of attrition.

Advice to Management

Put more focus into your performance review process, particularly as it relates to management teams. Recognize that just because a person has been there the longest does not mean they are the best for a leadership role. Infusion of new ideas and innovative ways of approaching the work is never a bad thing.

Good work life balance, Great place to start your career.

Current Employee - Manager KPMG Advisory in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager KPMG Advisory in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, good people, good experience.

Cons

Like with any big 4 you have to have your own drive, it. Management will not take notice unless you make them take notice. Not the place if you're looking for a 9-6

8. Amazing work environment and opportunity to grow.

Current Employee - Engagement Management Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engagement Management Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The firm actually reciprocates your hard work and effort. Work/Life balance is amazing. Able to work remote several times a month. Jeans every Friday, and you are allowed to leave two hours early every Friday during the summer. The firm subsidizes your commute to work. Many opportunities to grow with the firm.

Cons

Must be mentally prepared to work long hours during busy seasons but it evens out year round.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great leadership!

KPMG US Response

Mar 4, 2015

We take pride in making sure our employees are taken care of. Thank you for your feedback and please let us know if we can do anything else.

9. intern advisory

Former Intern - Intern Advisory in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern Advisory in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KPMG US as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

the people I worked with were great. They were always willing to help. It can get very busy sometimes but during the summer it is pretty relaxing

Cons

They expect a lot from you so you must always do good work. There were some times where I had no work to do all day so it can get pretty boring even though those days were rare. You must satisfy the client even through tight deadlines

Advice to Management

My group was great, always responsive by email and always helpful. They are usually very understanding. I have no advice.

10. Great company and great people to work with!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone in the office sticks together.

Cons

Busy work life, working late evenings

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

KPMG US Response

Dec 12, 2014

11. Good network and variety of industries.

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big 4 reputation, good resources, high technology

Cons

Politics, hours can be pretty long

Showing 71 of 3,615 reviews