KPMG US

KPMG US Reviews in Mountain View, CA

3.4

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer
John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Firm provides plenty of personal time and drives for a strong work/life balance (in 192 reviews)

• Good place to start your career but would not recommend staying long term (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit (in 457 reviews)

• Unpredictable schedule; long hours during busy season; difficult to achieve work-life balance (in 502 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great place to start

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to develop a solid foundation out of college. You will lear everything to kick start your career and also develop and strong work ethic. Great and robust training.

Cons

Long hours. "working for the machine". Limited mentoring.

The Most Oppressive Place I Ever Worked

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn the profession; interesting work, but not a lot of variety. Great junior people; eager to learn and willing to lend a hand. A few terrific senior partners; too bad I didn't work for them. Looks great on a resume when you go for the next job. I learned all I could about the particular area I worked in spite of the overwhelmingly bad management. Most of the people I worked with are long gone.

Cons

I was treated like second class scum by my senior manager, who did nothing to help me advance my career. When asking a question to expand my knowledge and improve my performance I was called "stupid," I was derided for not already knowing the answer, and was told to "go look it up in a book and when you have the answer then come tell me." I had another direct female manager who came in late every morning, obviously hungover, slopping coffee all over herself, and would come to me and say "[my name] I'm not going to take this crap from you anymore" and other such pleasant greetings in front of all my co-workers. Never was I complimented on my work product or how hard I worked. Yet, when I finally left the company, there were 17 people at my going away luncheon, including several senior partners. But of course, the person who I had slaved for for over 7 years had a convenient excuse not to show up.

Beware the sycophants who suck up to senior management but treat their junior staff like chattel. Treat people with dignity and respect; help people who are eager to learn new skills and enhance their performance instead of putting them down.

Motto "great place to BUILD your career" rings true

Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Fabulous opportunity to gain experience
    - Translatable skills to many other careers
    - Highly respected on your resume

Cons

- Bad work/life balance
    - Really depends on who is on your team and what clients you are working for
    - Doesn't pay nearly as well as comparable positions outside Big 4
    - Time tracking and billable hours is SOOOO stressful

Hire more staff, scope projects more realistically, reward performance with higher bonuses, make more of an effort to hold on to your best employees

Great Place to Learn

Current Employee - Risk Consultant in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Risk Consultant in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Great Place to Learn and develop skills

Cons

Work life balance
    under staffed

Hire plenty of staff

Everyone put on your happy faces

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

It's a pool of knowledge; good trainibg ground. Great place to start a career. You will learn a lot it very little time!

Cons

Think if it as a frat/sorority where the first year associates are pledging and you to do whatever upper management asks.

Treat senior associates better especially competent ones. Because if the competent ones leave, you're left with second years who aren't ready to be seniors and then what?

Good opportunity for starting a career

Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

Good career paths
    Smart people
    Good benefits, time off, and supportive of work-life balance.

Cons

Lack of sophisticated leadership
    Lack of development plans
    Do not support ongoing education/ executive education or post graduate degrees

Leadership need better programs to understand how to motivate people and encourage to think outside box.

Great place to start your career. Challenging to build.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

If you get connected with the right people, you can definitely have some incredible experiences and meet great clients. Lots of opportunities are available for young staff members who show a lot of initiative.

Cons

It's easy to feel trapped by managers who don't want to share you with other engagements. You can end up spending years doing the same kind of work and the decision for your promotions is entirely in their hands.

KPMG management should (1) increase overall compensation, (2) get more involved in understanding staff members' interests and goals, and (3) better support staff who show individual initiative by breaking the 'tradition' to reward them with promotions or other incentives.

Neutral on KPMG

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Overall I think that KPMG is an OK place to work and start a career, but advancement in the firm is more about knowing the right people and kissing the right butts and avoiding getting hit with the blame for anything.

Cons

Long hours, mediocre pay and incompetent quote/unquote professionals make most days at KPMG less than bearable. Overall if you can put up with the BS its ok.

I think that management needs to realize a lot of their staff are quite incompetent and rely heavily on the more advanced staff. Unfortunately, most of the rock stars realize this early on and leave for greener pastures since we don't know how to keep them around. As a result, the mediocre butt-kissers become the next wave of management.

Lets not think lets just do.

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

Good foundation to begin your career.

Cons

Horrible work life balance, really poor pay and management fails to take control of the business.

Treat your staff with the same respect you would give a CFO or audit committee chair. Partners and senior managers like to pretend they are important until they are in the room with the client and then they bend over and accept their position in the world of business as the cleint's biatch.

KPMG review of Silicon Valley Office

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Good, timely downward feedback and review process for associates. KPMG is a great place to learn accounting and network in the industry. Global opportunities are also possible for high performers.

Cons

Associates are very overworked particularly in the Silicon Valley Office and underpaid. Bad upward feedback review process of managers. There are managers that dont deserve to be in their current level of employment and associates who deserve to be at a higher level.

Partners - associates are way overworked and underpaid! Show us how we benefit by working here despite all the cons. Review process for managers needs to be revised. Managers are reviewed by Partners, but there is very little upward feedback from the seniors and staff about their abilities. Being a manager is a lot about how you manage your staff and I have NEVER been asked to review any of my Managers.