KPMG US

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.5 2,959 reviews

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Good job security, decent work life balance except during Tax Season, good benefits(in 182 reviews)

• Great place to start work if you want to see a lot of different things(in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit(in 418 reviews)

• Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment(in 469 reviews)

2,959 Employee Reviews

Advisory Intern in the Transactions & Restructuring Group

Transactions & Restructuring (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Smart, high-caliber teammates from top business schools
    -Mentoring by talented & caring managers and senior associates
    -Excellent location in NY (Park Ave)
    -Community involvement
    -Friendly, team-oriented environment
    -Free Omaha steaks and BBQs during the summer
    -Paid overtime as an intern

ConsThere should be a more structured way to allocate engagement assignments to interns during the summer (a period during the year when there is less work in general for employees to do).

Advice to Senior ManagementHire individuals with integrity, technical competency, and emotional intelligence.

Standard "big 4" internship

Advisory Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLearning/training program, young work environment

Conswork-life balance, little face time with people above senior associates, recruiters are slow to respond

Good place to start as a young professional

Advisory Senior Associate (Former Employee)

ProsIf you end up on a demanding team, you will learn a lot. Exit opportunities can be great - but again, highly dependent on the team. Certain advisory teams are considered more highly regarded than others. KPMG provides young professionals with fundamentals for how to carry yourself professionally in a business environment and give you the tools to succeed. Advisory Fundamentals training program helps ensure all KPMG employees are on the same page.

ConsSome teams demand long hours to keep utilization high and to handle work in the pipeline while others seem to have 9-5 hours. However, this is not well-reflected in the compensation, which is average to less than average. The firm claims to allow for movement among different groups depending on your career interest, but it is not always well-perceived or encouraged.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always learning - great place to build connections

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsAlways learning from colleagues and management. Generally, everyone is very bright and motivated and willing to work with you. Plenty of vacation time. Great exposure to high profile clients and lots of opportunity to make connections at all levels.

ConsCompensation is low compared to other consulting jobs at comparable firms. Management can stress you out over chargeability.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize individuals based on merit and performance and less on "time" put in on the job.

My current position is senior associate in the advisory practice

Advisory Senior Associate (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat Work Life Balance. Good client base to work on and networking oppurtunities with client. Great people to work with.

ConsLower pay than what you would see in industry. Can be stuck on one client for long periods of time.

KPMG was a great place to start my career...

Tax Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsKPMG provides lots of opportunities for its people to grow personally and professionally, especially early on in their career. Starting out, it is possible to experience various types of clients and industries to assist in determining which direction you would like your career to go. There is typically a team atmosphere and lots of opportunities to get involved in community events if you are interested.

ConsTypical of public accounting, there are long hours during busy season. Depending on your position, busy season can last 9+ months/year. There can be times of high stress due to a variety of factors. As with most large organizations, there is quire a bit of buracracy and little autonomy on the local levels.

Great Company with lots of opportunities

Consultant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsReputable company with future positive outlook

Conslonger hours sometimes with less bonus

Great Place To Start a Career

Audit Senior Associate (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsSuperb training and ongoing instruction

Conslong work hours with sense of just putting in hours and not only getting the work completed

KPMG

Recruiter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsKPMG is a great company

ConsThere is alot of Politics, office culture can be harsh

Advice to Senior ManagementImproving employee development

Good Employer

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat people to work with for the most part. Flexible schedule and benefits. Talented senior managers.

ConsCan involve lots of travel at times, and long hours. Some would say the business can be too cyclical but so is every job now.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they are probably very aware of internal opinions.

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!