KPMG US Reviews

3.6
3,100 Reviews

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer
John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Firm provides plenty of personal time and drives for a strong work/life balance (in 187 reviews)

• Good place to start your career but would not recommend staying long term (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit (in 448 reviews)

• Unpredictable schedule; long hours during busy season; difficult to achieve work-life balance (in 498 reviews)

More Highlights

External auditor

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good to have on your resume.

Cons

Work 12-14 hours a day with no over time pay.
    Low salaries compared to industry.
    Unfriendly environment.

If salaries are increased, work hours decreased to around 40-45 hours a week, anf employees feel more appreciated, turnover will be less than 50%.

associate

I worked at KPMG US full-time

Pros

none none none none none

Cons

too many cons to list

get your act together

don't come here, it sucks

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

nothing positive, they don't do good work.

Cons

very unorganized, don't consider this place a big 4

Senior Management needs to be refreshed

Current Employee - Senior Associate IPBR in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate IPBR in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy work
    Some good trainings
    Some good qualified individuals

Cons

You are based on one metric which is how chargeable you are. The advisory practice is a national level practice and you can put on any projects throughout the country, but they have such lazy unqualified resource managers who dont know what skills match the individuals with the projects and therefore most of the time you would just sit on bench without work. Senior management also doesnt help in anyways allocating you into projects. But every year end they judge you on how many hours of work you have put in and not on your performance. If you do get lucky and get onto a project, you still cannot claim the allocated hours because of no work in the project.

The only way to survive here to be a bootlicker to your manager. There is absolutely no personal or professional growth, you do not get opportunity to work in different areas or industries as they promise during your interview. Increased politics, you will only get promoted if you are one of the partner/Sr managers favorites.

You cant base someones performance when you cant bring in business. Please change the way your review people based on performance and not changeability alone as each practice works in different way and also hear from staff because ultimately it is the staff who does all the work and not the managers.

There are a few wonderful people, unfortunately they are not in charge of my career

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have met some amazing people who have become great friends to me. There are some people who are so incredibly supportive of me.

Cons

The practice I was assigned to refused to let me transfer. I always had the "average" or "above average" reviews, and I was still unable to get bonuses or promoted.

I suggest you have your managers take an interest in their counselees instead of being completely and utterly self serving.

Sr Associate Credit Risk

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn how to deal with office and colleague nuances.

Cons

politics, partner trying grab resources from each other, really bad work life balance. Lot of favoritism.

You batter fix your own processes before going to advise someone else.

KPMG ..good for the short term, horrible for long term.

Former Employee - Financial Risk Management in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Risk Management in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation and Bonus are the only reason for staying.

Cons

Bad People, Horrible Hours, Tons of Travel

Sweat shop businiess model is not a viable solution for the long term.

Lousy place to work

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training, but only if u work under a fair and transparent leader. In my working duration there, they would really throw work at you even though your plate is spilling over. Over the peak period, I used to work from 5am to 2am, daily. Admin work are followed up at the junior / senior level, and even when staff pulls out from the job, he/she is required to follow up the file up to signing of accounts. On average, you would be given 1-2 weeks to complete field work. An accounts take approx 3-4 months from start to finish. Hence the files that you would be required to follow up for will accumulate quickly up to 8-12 files. I worked in PwC subsequently - following up of the file up to signing of accounts is usually done by the manager.

Cons

No transparent grading system. I know of someone who was recently not promoted from associate to senior due mainly to 1 exceptional case where there was no cooperation from the client during field work (client was not giving out information sufficiently and all the major information are held by the senior management of the client, which obviously needs the involvement of the manager / director of the audit firm to penetrate). The manager, director and partner did not take any steps in getting cooperation from client (such as set up a meeting with the client as information was not forthcoming), or at least escalate the matter upwards to the senior management of the client. After the allocated period for field work (usually short period of 1 week), the employee was allocated to other field work, and subsequently had to rush off for his study leave, which left him no time to complete another round of fieldwork (obviously this is required). The file, which was not able to be completed by this employee, became the reason the employee was penalised and denied promotion.

Its a grievance to employees, with no proper quantitative grading system, where the employee's fate is left to the whims and emotional fancies of the director during that time.

Also, the bonus payout over the years have not improved. I have interviewed many candidates from KPMG KL, most of them gets average bonus of 1 month.

Also, the demographic of the employees consist quite a bit of chinese educated graduates as well as from local university. As such, communication skills of seniors and managers leaves much to be desired.

Favoritism and lack of objective decisions during the grading of employees will cost you good employees. I am very disappointed in KPMG after hearing my friend's case as described above. This friend of mine worked his heart out for the past year, weekends and late nights, yet he is unfairly treated. Its a blessing that my friend is well-to-do, but this was not made known to them, otherwise the treatment would be completely different as they are known to bully the weak and worship the well to do

‘Big’ on favouritism, ‘small’ on ethics

Current Employee - Associate in Kuwait City (Kuwait)
    Current Employee - Associate in Kuwait City (Kuwait)

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best place to work, only if you are a close family member to one of the partners.

Cons

There is a lot of extreme favoritism going around the office, ranging from Kuwaiti junior staff to the function heads. It is too obvious how the leadership provides special recognition and reward to certain individuals based on personal relationships with those individuals and contrary to the individuals’ actual performance and qualifications. In such a small office, you will also see a lot of partners’ relatives around the office.

Useless to advise. They would not listen. Family always comes first.

The Most Oppressive Place I Ever Worked

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn the profession; interesting work, but not a lot of variety. Great junior people; eager to learn and willing to lend a hand. A few terrific senior partners; too bad I didn't work for them. Looks great on a resume when you go for the next job. I learned all I could about the particular area I worked in spite of the overwhelmingly bad management. Most of the people I worked with are long gone.

Cons

I was treated like second class scum by my senior manager, who did nothing to help me advance my career. When asking a question to expand my knowledge and improve my performance I was called "stupid," I was derided for not already knowing the answer, and was told to "go look it up in a book and when you have the answer then come tell me." I had another direct female manager who came in late every morning, obviously hungover, slopping coffee all over herself, and would come to me and say "[my name] I'm not going to take this crap from you anymore" and other such pleasant greetings in front of all my co-workers. Never was I complimented on my work product or how hard I worked. Yet, when I finally left the company, there were 17 people at my going away luncheon, including several senior partners. But of course, the person who I had slaved for for over 7 years had a convenient excuse not to show up.

Beware the sycophants who suck up to senior management but treat their junior staff like chattel. Treat people with dignity and respect; help people who are eager to learn new skills and enhance their performance instead of putting them down.