KPMG US

3.5
3,171 Reviews

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer
John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Firm provides plenty of personal time and drives for a strong work/life balance (in 192 reviews)

• Good place to start your career but would not recommend staying long term (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit (in 457 reviews)

• Unpredictable schedule; long hours during busy season; difficult to achieve work-life balance (in 502 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good company if you don't mind the hours

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Lots of growing learning opportunity. People are nice and friendly

Cons

Bad work/ life balance . No personal time. Pain to enter timesheet everyday

Encourage people grow at the same time taking of people's health and life

Great experience, great projects, pay could be improved.

Current Employee - Associate Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The projects, people, time off, and benefits - to me- are strong. I enjoy the work I do, and I get to learn while I am doing the work. Management consulting was always where I wanted to be, and KPMG offered me an opportunity to learn immediately. The PTO time is awesome, too. I normally have to take a few days off at the end of the year just to ensure I don't lose it- mainly because I don't plan on taking that much over year.

Cons

The pay could increase - I know I am making less than some of my friends at other firms. Moreover, there could be more direct training. Instead, the training comes on each project. I would appreciate a bit more direct training to be more comfortable when I am with the client. There is some, but it is mainly BS at the lower level. The really strong engagement stuff doesn't start until manager level.

Keep selling good projects, and the pitfalls will be manageable.

KPMG REVIEW

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

It is a large company with possibilities of growth. The benefits where get and most of the people where a pleasure to work with

Cons

Management was unorganized, unprofessional and had no ethics. The HR department who is supposed to be partial to ALL employees was not. Very deceitful organization.

Upper management needs to focus on who they allow to run their department too much unethical practices

Worked here for 5 yrs in TS

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

I worked in the TS group in FDD. I transferred into this group from audit.
    You can get great experience as a young kid if you seek out the right experiences and mentors.
    Big 4 and CPA look good on a resume
    You can transfer among groups (i.e. try a few different careers)
    Exit opportunities can be good (although depends on the quality of your experience)
    You work with a lot of young people that make the job fun - can be pretty social
    Partners live comfortable lives if you decide to stay here long-term

Cons

-The quality of your work experience is dependent upon who you work for. Do they teach you, are they motivated, etc. Exit opportunities can be limited if you have not really learned all that much
    - Politics are important with respect to promotions, pay, etc. This is especially important as you become more senior.
    - You do a lot of grunt work in your first few years. This is grueling for the really smart/ambitious folks. Most of these people leave within their first few years and feel like they wasted there time here.
    -Pay at big 4 is lower and the gig is less "sexy" relative to other finance gigs in NYC like banking, PE, HF,etc. This comment is specific to NYC b/c I imagine working at a big 4 is a good gig in smaller cities.
    -work life balance can be terrible - the expectation in my group was to be on call like a Dr in the ER. This was not sustainable and turnover was incredibly high.

Audit Senior

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Good place to start career. Will learn a lot.

Cons

Not much life balance unless you push for it.

Give more money

Worst of the Big 4

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about it is that it is a "Big 4" firm. You can carry the name and people will give it weight because of it.

Cons

It's the smallest of the Big 4 and KPMG makes concessions regarding price (unlike PWC who does not give discounted rates). So, engagement teams eat their hours all the time to not go over budget but they run the risk of getting laid off due to low utilization. They accept clients that require lots of manual hours of data entry so they push the data entry to the staff rather than sending that work to the India Q center where it belongs so the crop of people moving up don't know anything about tax. PWC has internal proprietary software that cuts the data entry to a fraction of the time KPMG would spend giving it the staff to do, which frees up the PWC staff to actually learn more important concepts. The quality of training is a joke. No one in senior management and above really cares about your career, so watch your back. Being on the client side now and seeing PWC work my employer's account, I can see the difference in training and quality. I would not recommend choosing KPMG over the other Big 4 firms.

Not bad experience

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

Can learn a lot quickly.

Cons

Long hours, may not be able to get work life balance.

Keep the best.

Great company and great people to work with!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone in the office sticks together.

Cons

Busy work life, working late evenings

Keep up the great work.

KPMG US Response

Dec 12, 2014

We take pride in making sure our employees are taken care of. Thank you for your feedback and please let us know if we can do anything else.

Challenging, but rewarding career path

Former Employee - Audit Manager
    Former Employee - Audit Manager

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Provides fantastic training opportunities. Additionally, for the most part you work with smart, driven employees. Good benefits. Good upward mobility potential for high achieving individuals.

Cons

- Work/life balance can be a challenge and travel can be excessive. Individuals need to determine their own boundaries to maintain a sense of work/life balance.

Work/life balance is a talking point, but it is hard for staff to buy into the concept when utilization is so sacred and the Company agrees to client deadlines, in spite of the client missing their own deliverable dates. There needs to be more visible proof to support the talking point that it is important.

Additionally, there needs to be better training as staff transition into management roles, specifically around project management.

Good career for right person

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

Exposure to F500 clients. A stamp on the resume to open doors for more enjoyable jobs. Fast promotions because of high turnover.

Cons

The business model expects high turnover, so you are a contracted slave for 2-3 years. On the flip side, few people enjoy the job, so most are just using the firm as a stamp on the resume to move on to better firms with better pay and work/life balance.