KPMG US

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.5 2,959 reviews

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Good job security, decent work life balance except during Tax Season, good benefits(in 182 reviews)

• Great place to start work if you want to see a lot of different things(in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit(in 418 reviews)

• Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment(in 469 reviews)

2,959 Employee Reviews

Lousy place to work

Audit Senior Associate (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsGood training, but only if u work under a fair and transparent leader. In my working duration there, they would really throw work at you even though your plate is spilling over. Over the peak period, I used to work from 5am to 2am, daily. Admin work are followed up at the junior / senior level, and even when staff pulls out from the job, he/she is required to follow up the file up to signing of accounts. On average, you would be given 1-2 weeks to complete field work. An accounts take approx 3-4 months from start to finish. Hence the files that you would be required to follow up for will accumulate quickly up to 8-12 files. I worked in PwC subsequently - following up of the file up to signing of accounts is usually done by the manager.

ConsNo transparent grading system. I know of someone who was recently not promoted from associate to senior due mainly to 1 exceptional case where there was no cooperation from the client during field work (client was not giving out information sufficiently and all the major information are held by the senior management of the client, which obviously needs the involvement of the manager / director of the audit firm to penetrate). The manager, director and partner did not take any steps in getting cooperation from client (such as set up a meeting with the client as information was not forthcoming), or at least escalate the matter upwards to the senior management of the client. After the allocated period for field work (usually short period of 1 week), the employee was allocated to other field work, and subsequently had to rush off for his study leave, which left him no time to complete another round of fieldwork (obviously this is required). The file, which was not able to be completed by this employee, became the reason the employee was penalised and denied promotion.

Its a grievance to employees, with no proper quantitative grading system, where the employee's fate is left to the whims and emotional fancies of the director during that time.

Also, the bonus payout over the years have not improved. I have interviewed many candidates from KPMG KL, most of them gets average bonus of 1 month.

Also, the demographic of the employees consist quite a bit of chinese educated graduates as well as from local university. As such, communication skills of seniors and managers leaves much to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementFavoritism and lack of objective decisions during the grading of employees will cost you good employees. I am very disappointed in KPMG after hearing my friend's case as described above. This friend of mine worked his heart out for the past year, weekends and late nights, yet he is unfairly treated. Its a blessing that my friend is well-to-do, but this was not made known to them, otherwise the treatment would be completely different as they are known to bully the weak and worship the well to do

Great firm, poor office for my practice area.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsTraining is top notch. Opportunities are limitless if you are able to relocate. If moving were an option, I would be a partner today.

ConsI was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Everything taught by the firm was ignored and often discouraged in the office in which I worked. The inconsistencies, ultimately, were too frustrating to stay.

Lots of politics

Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood for very junior professionals entering the financial industry and keen to learn

ConsPolitics, preferential treatment, you won't get anywhere unless you spend a lot of time flattering egos.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more interested in promoting talent rather than people you like.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

‘Big’ on favouritism, ‘small’ on ethics

Associate (Current Employee) Kuwait City (Kuwait)

ProsBest place to work, only if you are a close family member to one of the partners.

ConsThere is a lot of extreme favoritism going around the office, ranging from Kuwaiti junior staff to the function heads. It is too obvious how the leadership provides special recognition and reward to certain individuals based on personal relationships with those individuals and contrary to the individuals’ actual performance and qualifications. In such a small office, you will also see a lot of partners’ relatives around the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementUseless to advise. They would not listen. Family always comes first.

Advisory Intern in the Transactions & Restructuring Group

Transactions & Restructuring (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Smart, high-caliber teammates from top business schools
    -Mentoring by talented & caring managers and senior associates
    -Excellent location in NY (Park Ave)
    -Community involvement
    -Friendly, team-oriented environment
    -Free Omaha steaks and BBQs during the summer
    -Paid overtime as an intern

ConsThere should be a more structured way to allocate engagement assignments to interns during the summer (a period during the year when there is less work in general for employees to do).

Advice to Senior ManagementHire individuals with integrity, technical competency, and emotional intelligence.

Standard "big 4" internship

Advisory Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLearning/training program, young work environment

Conswork-life balance, little face time with people above senior associates, recruiters are slow to respond

Good learning experience

Audit Associate (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat exposure to a variety of industries
    Great starting salary coming out of college
    Great benefits and a generous amount of paid time off

ConsReceived plenty of paid time off (25 days), but was never able to actually use the time
    Absurd utilization targets
    Long work hours

Great Company with lots of opportunities

Consultant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsReputable company with future positive outlook

Conslonger hours sometimes with less bonus

My current position is senior associate in the advisory practice

Advisory Senior Associate (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat Work Life Balance. Good client base to work on and networking oppurtunities with client. Great people to work with.

ConsLower pay than what you would see in industry. Can be stuck on one client for long periods of time.

KPMG was a great place to start my career...

Tax Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsKPMG provides lots of opportunities for its people to grow personally and professionally, especially early on in their career. Starting out, it is possible to experience various types of clients and industries to assist in determining which direction you would like your career to go. There is typically a team atmosphere and lots of opportunities to get involved in community events if you are interested.

ConsTypical of public accounting, there are long hours during busy season. Depending on your position, busy season can last 9+ months/year. There can be times of high stress due to a variety of factors. As with most large organizations, there is quire a bit of buracracy and little autonomy on the local levels.

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!