KPMG US

www.kpmg.com

KPMG Audit

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good platform to start your career

Cons

compensation below industry market rate

They provide great benefits and opportunity for growth. A great place to begin a career in accounting.

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Opportunity to grow is ample. Great mentoring system which guides your career through the company. Good benefits and an exciting place to work.

Cons

Long hours, busy season is obviously going to contain long hours which can be the biggest downside to the industry in general.

Good

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Great place for growth; you will get recognized for the name and allow you to move into a big company if/when you choose to move on.

Cons

Bureaucratic and politics; you will need to play the game to be able to move up at the rate you like. Otherwise you are just another number and will move up with everyone else, whether you/they deserve it or not.

Develop a better merit-based system

Great opportunities and great people, poor compensation and work life balance.

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

The people really are great within the advisory practice. Very smart people who also enjoy having fun. Good benefits including small pension and 401k matching.

Cons

Below market compensation including little variable compensation. Lack of space in New York Office means that you must reserve a cube every day if below manager. Work life balance is a definite con as work can be unpredictable.

Must pay people better and more equitably. When transferring between various functions market compensation bumps should be given.

Employer for life

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost the people. I've been employed at companies where the work was less than ideal but the people I worked with were stellar, which made the day get on well. Fortunately, at KPMG you have the best of all worlds. Great people, great professionals, great professional, personal, and social development opportunities. Truly cannot say enough about it.

Cons

Every place of employment has "cons", however, so far I've not found any glaring issues. I was pleased with their benefits, my salary, and my leadership.

Great Global Firm with excellent opportunities

Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was on the advisory side so I can only address that part of the firm. Top tier professional capabilities and some of the top minds in the business. Excellent opportunity for intra-firm assignments both in the U.S. and internationally. The KPMG brand name (and, all of the Big Four for that matter) provides instant credibility in the U.S and international public sector consulting space. During my time with the firm, I had the opportunity to run very interesting engagements and reside as an expat in Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. Great pay if you are incentivized properly and are successful. The KPMG brand will help you win business..

Cons

Even as a senior individual, beware of the dreaded "on the beach" mindset as those without an engagement for cover have very short lives at KPMG. Senior folks often take credit for hard work more junior staff actually perform. Every large firm/company has a pecking order and MDs and partners think they are masters of the universe when their importance may be meaningless outside of KPMG itself. RIce bowl mentalities sometimes get in the way of innovation and creativity. Some practice areas are far more dynamic than others.

Continue to motivate and incentivize junior staff for senior client-facing engagement and practice leadership. KPMG provides great training to staff so the firm wants to retain that investment and excellent personnel. Treat staff well as there are numerous former junior consultants who have gone on to build and run large successful companies after their KPMG experience. If you want them as clients in the future, make sure that they value their KPMG experience.

Great place to work or start your career

Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere of young professionals who work as a team toward common goals.

Cons

Sometimes the work is not very sexy, although important (i.e., audit). Hours can get quite long during busy season.

All segments of the business should remember to create career paths for their talent. Young talent can get lost given the size of the firm,

Great experience

Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at KPMG US full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

KPMG has a great promotion program with clear goals that they will help you set. They also have family friendly policies such as extended maternity leave.

Cons

The office culture can be a bit male dominated but that may be the nature of consulting firms.

No life work balance

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot but have no life during bussing season and several times in the year.

Cons

No life work balance. I know this is somewhat normal for big 4. But 15 hour days 7 days a week for two months straight is just not right .

None.

Audit Intern

Former Intern - Audit Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Intern - Audit Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at KPMG US as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The employees are all extremely intelligent but also know how to have fun after work. The firm highly encouraged social gatherings and were constantly spoiling us with fun activities.

Cons

Accounting is a lot of work no matter where you work.