KPMG US Reviews

3370 reviews filtered by

Made Senior and exited

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start a career, A players leave, C players get fired and B players become partners.

Cons

Hard work and long hours. Still, it's a great place to learn the fundamentals of the job.

KPMG US Response

Mar 4, 2015

Thank for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve employee satisfaction. Please let us know if there is anything additional we can do for you.

2. Some practices are stellar and other no so much. Pick a team where you fit and can grow.

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and office amenities in largest cities; affinity groups are helpful with career/network if your goals align with the interests of the annual activities of the respective group.

Cons

Career advancement bogged down in bureaucracy and outdated thinking on career mobility.

Advice to Management

Invest in talent retention as well as talent management.

Great place to launch career & grow professionally. Workload can be draining, overwhelming, and stressful.

Current Employee - Associate - Federal IT Attestation
    Current Employee - Associate - Federal IT Attestation

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary is great for a first job (although other Big 4's offer more), great place to start your career and grow professionally, lots of training and professional development opportunity, 25 PTO days a year (however many times too busy to use all of it), people are generally friendly, learn a lot through on the job training and experience, technology and work supplies readily available, get to travel to new places (sometimes rural) for client visits and see the U.S. Learn about many different technologies as you're exposed to many different IT systems from various client engagements.

Cons

Work/life balance is lacking especially during busy season. Typically 9-12 hour long days and not unusual for people to work on weekends. Mentor program needs improvement. Job can be very overwhelming and stressful especially during busy season. Very heavy client facing job and must build rapport and win over clients-lots of times they are wary of auditors presence and must build trust. IT helpdesk via phone is not always ideal for those who prefer in-person assistance when experiencing technology issues.

Advice to Management

Need to hire more senior associates in both the federal and commercial practices. It is frustrating for associates with limited experience to take on projects with little guidance, as management alone does not always have the necessary time to provide this to associates. Improve mentor program- allow employees to choose their own people management leader (PML) rather than initially assigning them one they may be less comfortable with than if they'd chosen their own. Scheduling needs improvement- allow employees to choose and manage the engagements they're rather than being assigned.

5. Good overall experience, compensation and benefits could be better.

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Hard working people, good training programs, variety of business you are exposed to

Cons

Long hours, constant turnover, stagnant salaries, no work-life balance for a good portion of the year

6. Great Company! Seek Employment!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

Excellent Pay! Great Bonuses! Great opportunities!

Cons

Lack of work life balance and a lot of overtime.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees.

Management Consulting

I worked at KPMG US

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities, competitive pay, very experienced senior leadership

Cons

Variable work schedule, possible to be pigeon-holed

Work work work (work work work work)

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can find good teams and learn a lot, if you are given the time and opportunities to do so. If you find the work interesting, there is a ton of it to keep you occupied. It is possible to move between teams and choose assignments you're interested in or want to learn about, if you're politically savvy.

Cons

You can get stuck on awful teams and taken advantage of terribly if you can't stand up for yourself. This is everything. You may be worked to death regardless. There is no work/life balance. There is no division of labor. There are many "mission impossibles" that you just have to figure out with no information and will be blamed for if you're set up for failure. You have to learn to work the system if you want any hope of survival. Ridiculous expectations it seems like you can't say 'no' to. Big culture of kiss up/kick down. Big culture of passing the buck. Big culture of "p*ss on your leg and tell you it's raining". When something big comes in, practice is stretched thin (i.e. people get one way tickets to a client site and don't sleep for months) and turnover/burnout/lawsuits ensue.

Advice to Management

Enjoy those third and fourth homes/marriages we're all working so hard with no overtime to furnish you.

9. intern advisory

Former Intern - Intern Advisory in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Intern Advisory in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KPMG US as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

the people I worked with were great. They were always willing to help. It can get very busy sometimes but during the summer it is pretty relaxing

Cons

They expect a lot from you so you must always do good work. There were some times where I had no work to do all day so it can get pretty boring even though those days were rare. You must satisfy the client even through tight deadlines

Advice to Management

My group was great, always responsive by email and always helpful. They are usually very understanding. I have no advice.

10. Amazing work environment and opportunity to grow.

Current Employee - Engagement Management Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engagement Management Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KPMG US full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The firm actually reciprocates your hard work and effort. Work/Life balance is amazing. Able to work remote several times a month. Jeans every Friday, and you are allowed to leave two hours early every Friday during the summer. The firm subsidizes your commute to work. Many opportunities to grow with the firm.

Cons

Must be mentally prepared to work long hours during busy seasons but it evens out year round.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great leadership!

KPMG US Response

Mar 4, 2015

We take pride in making sure our employees are taken care of. Thank you for your feedback and please let us know if we can do anything else.

KPMG is what you make of it - you have to be a self-starter and really advocate for what you want.

I have been working at KPMG US

Pros

Offers a lot of career development and opportunities to learn. Also, working for a big firm allows access to professional and social events that might not otherwise be accessible working for a smaller company.

Cons

Lack of stability and uncertainty of when/where the next project will be. Also, is not the most friendly atmosphere for someone new joining.