KPMG US

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to start

Audit Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat place to develop a solid foundation out of college. You will lear everything to kick start your career and also develop and strong work ethic. Great and robust training.

ConsLong hours. "working for the machine". Limited mentoring.

AUDITORS RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

Audit Associate (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsThis review is in reference to KPMG's audit practice in the SV/SF region only.

+ Great accounting experience
    + Great companies, clients
    + Wide range of industries, company size
    + Develop an industry focus
    + Resource management listens to preferences for staffing
    + Partners are personable and approachable
    + Office events, free drinks!, national trainings
    + Meet friends and colleagues
    + PTO/Summer is more laid back
    + Internal publications and resources to learn
    + Team environment
    + Assigned mentor
    + Respected in the industry
    + Recent strategic acquisitions to build various functions
    + Nice 401(k) matching, CPA assistance and bonus, fringe benefits
    + Reputable logo to have on your resume

Cons- You will work with many different types of people. In other words, there are many passive-aggresive types, many unpleasant people, and many that you will become great friends with. It's a complete crapshoot.
    - Lots of GOSSIP and POLITICS. The politics are overwhelming. People will literally alienate and destroy reputations of others within the firm simply if they are offended, project is over budget because of someone, easily threatened, so on.
    - The engagement review rating system is literally used to get even when possible. At the same time, the rating system is very important on the HR-side, so it makes for a very real career hazard.
    - All accounting firms seem to be understaffed, but this office is ESPECIALLY understaffed. They are begging other KPMG employees to transfer to this office location.
    - Partially because of the reason above, for 6-9 months you will work 55-105 hours and 6-7 days per week. Whatever you do, don't calculate your hourly rate on that!
    - KPMG is known for underbidding in order to win new audit clients. You can definitely tell this as some engagements have a barebone budget and the seniors and staff are stressed further to get the work done within the constraints.
    - Seniors/Managers will alienate someone when they discover/hear that person is interested in a new job, transferring lines of service within the firm, so on.
    - Obsolete and ineffective business processes (reams of paper, piles of binders, flash drives, unilateral performance reviews).
    - During busy season, associates have to stay late because seniors stay late. There are "team of choice" initiatives to try to help change this, and it probably is changing, but as of now there seem to only be superficial improvements.
    - With some exceptions, Less prestigious/sexy clients to work with. I.e. Semiconductor companies instead of the Top-Tier tech/social media/software/internet companies you think of associated with Silicon Valley.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy last general comment would be to college students, which is to probably avoid KPMG all together. Go to a different Big 4 firm. The technical competency of KPMG is excellent, and they do well interacting with clients, but there are a lot of issues internally. Consistent with comments above, the politics started to quickly suffocate my career development, so I pulled the ejection switch and went elsewhere.

The Most Oppressive Place I Ever Worked

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsLearn the profession; interesting work, but not a lot of variety. Great junior people; eager to learn and willing to lend a hand. A few terrific senior partners; too bad I didn't work for them. Looks great on a resume when you go for the next job. I learned all I could about the particular area I worked in spite of the overwhelmingly bad management. Most of the people I worked with are long gone.

ConsI was treated like second class scum by my senior manager, who did nothing to help me advance my career. When asking a question to expand my knowledge and improve my performance I was called "stupid," I was derided for not already knowing the answer, and was told to "go look it up in a book and when you have the answer then come tell me." I had another direct female manager who came in late every morning, obviously hungover, slopping coffee all over herself, and would come to me and say "[my name] I'm not going to take this crap from you anymore" and other such pleasant greetings in front of all my co-workers. Never was I complimented on my work product or how hard I worked. Yet, when I finally left the company, there were 17 people at my going away luncheon, including several senior partners. But of course, the person who I had slaved for for over 7 years had a convenient excuse not to show up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeware the sycophants who suck up to senior management but treat their junior staff like chattel. Treat people with dignity and respect; help people who are eager to learn new skills and enhance their performance instead of putting them down.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Normal Big4

Tax Associate (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsYou can always learn new knowledge and get experiences.

ConsYou may have no life, especially in the busy season.

Audit - senior

Audit Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGood brand and work experience

ConsLong work hours, compensation not commensurate with efforts

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better working environment

Good place to start your career, but a lot of work.

Tax Associate (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsYou can learn a lot in your field.

ConsKPMG promotes work-life balance, but in reality there is no work-life balance.

A great place to start your career and then leave in about 2 years!

Audit Senior (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

Pros- Looks great on your resume;
    - Builds a solid understanding of the financial statements;
    - Gives access to network with tons of professionals who will be helpful in your career down the road;
    - Free CPA review course, and tons of free CPE credits;
    - Get licensed and get out.

Cons- Unreasonably tight deadlines;
    - Unreasonalby long hours;
    - Unreasonably low compensation.

Advice to Senior Management1. Improve work/life balance;
    2. Increase salary.

Otherwise, employees will keep on leaving as the economy is doing better and the industry is hiring. Otherwise, there'll be very few seniors left to do the actual audit.

Motto "great place to BUILD your career" rings true

Internal Audit Manager (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

Pros- Fabulous opportunity to gain experience
    - Translatable skills to many other careers
    - Highly respected on your resume

Cons- Bad work/life balance
    - Really depends on who is on your team and what clients you are working for
    - Doesn't pay nearly as well as comparable positions outside Big 4
    - Time tracking and billable hours is SOOOO stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff, scope projects more realistically, reward performance with higher bonuses, make more of an effort to hold on to your best employees

KPMG is a good start.

Senior Tax Manager (Former Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe learning experience, education and training is great and will help you tremendously for your future work life.

ConsI is very difficult to maintain your work life balance, long working hours and overtime is not rare, open workspace culture is something you need to get use to but a lot of companies go towards this. Management is not ver open for change and sometimes lack of communication about business decisions etc.

KPMG is a great place to work, with good self promotion

Senior Associate - Financial Management (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsDecent salary, really cool projects opportunities to work for some really cool companies. Great opportunity to travel as well as take overseas assignments.

ConsBonus structure is not completely fair. Amount of bonus' are not very high, as they mainly support your business case on your utilization without considering other factors such as training, client support with non-billable hours as well as internal team development. Since these are not majorly considered, when you are working to make your team and kpmg a better company/performer, it does not reflect in your reviews/bonus, it may even be looked upon negatively by upper management as they are not informed in what you have accomplished for the teams internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are too many politics in each practice, there are a specific amount of promotion spaces each year and I have experienced that if you are not kissing up to partners whom may be in your practice but you have not had the opportunity to work with, you will not be promoted. If there are partners in your practice that you have not given yourself enough exposure to, you will be overlooked.

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!

KPMG US Videos

KPMG US – Why Work for Us?

Careers with KPMG From career development to global opportunities, KPMG helps connect you to a variety of ways to build the career you've always wanted. You've worked hard. You've planned well. You've developed your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KPMG US reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KPMG US CEO John B. Veihmeyer . All 51 reviews posted anonymously by KPMG US employees.