KPMG US

KPMG US Reviews in Sydney Australia

Updated Apr 3, 2014

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer

John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Good job security, decent work life balance except during Tax Season, good benefits(in 182 reviews)

• Great place to start work if you want to see a lot of different things(in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit(in 418 reviews)

• Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment(in 469 reviews)

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Laidback young cultured company

Financial Services Audit (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros- young culture
    - long hours
    - job security
    - variety of clients

Cons- seems to have a recruitment bias from greater unis
    - bad pay until qualification
    - work may be dry at some times

Overworked and underpaid

Pursuit Project Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsThe salary was above industry average.

ConsI worked 50 hour weeks, and had to be flexible to travel to other cities at the drop of a dime, only to be made redundant whilst pregnant!

My team were all ex-Ernst and Young employees, including my boss. Because I had previously worked in another industry, and never at Ernst and Young, it was hard to join the clique.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't promise the world to employees in a job interview only to make them redundant as soon as they become pregnant.

Great intro into the working world

ProsGlobal Big 4 Firm that is easy to enter

ConsBad working hours and boring work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over worked and no recognition (personally or financially) unless a manager or higher.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsExposure to high profile clients and projects; kpmg name on cv

ConsIncomparable salary brackets, perpetuates. "Us and Them" culture. Old fashioned and exclusive "partners lounge", few and insignificant general staff benefits; Long hours and no thanks; HR only exists as "People and Culture" and as there isn't any protection or union for staff, all issues reported to "People and Culture" are sent to staff's line manager as the interest is only to protect the company; (in-spite of job adverts) inflexible work/life balance for staff under a certain threshold, leave withheld at managers discretion, patronising culture downwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove staff benefits, including annual leave allowance conditions; support a genuine work/life balance for all employees not just those over $100k; if all staff are expected to work until job is done then encourage partners to cultivate and act upon feelings of THANKS, improve lower tier salaries and include bonuses for all staff.
    Allow leave to be taken when needed, not just at line managers discretion; introduce HR practices which support staff AND the company, not the PPC which is a farce for employee support.
    Make the company somewhere where people want to work, and be proud of, not just because of the name, and not just because the rich get richer and poor are unappreciated.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not a bad company to work for

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood reputation. Good exposure to different engagements. High performing environment.

ConsSome people will pull others around them down to make themselves look better.

Good vacation experience

Vacationer (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGreat brand name
    Colleagues are professional and approachable to work and learn alongside with
    Got to work on a range of industries throughout internship period
    Vacation program was well structured - provided for interactive opportunities, talks to learn more about the firm

ConsTasks assigned were at times of administrative nature but somewhat expected for an internship

It's going down the tubes...

Director (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsIt's a good brand name on your c.v.... for now. It opens doors.

ConsIt has a terrible reputation for retaining lateral hires, I wouldn't be surprised if by year 3 almost 80% of lateral hires leave. There is a very strong "closed door" policy - if you're trying to develop a relationship other partners will consider you a threat.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that doing things you did 20 years ago is not what you're expected to do now... if you keep the partnership a closed shop for so long, with many under performing partners there for the ride, you get the situation you are in now... where every partner hates the other.

Great for acquiring soft skills, then move on to the next bigger thing

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros1) How to sell yourself - you are trained to be ready with an elevator pitch to sell what you do and who you are every time you have an interaction with another living soul. This sounds brutal but is a Pro because it is expected and taught in the most unashamed and transparent manner which, at least in the companies I've worked for, would've taken yrs to learn.

2) Learn about how to deal with office politics. This is a Pro because of same reason as 1

3) Great for soft skills development such as project management, people management, interpersonal skill

4) Work with some highly intelligent people that you can learn alot from

Cons1) Burn out quickly. There are those who naturally thrive under a constant pressure, but most burn out quickly by the constant need to prove yourself to get recognition, so there's alot of truth that the average life-span of a consultant is 2yrs

2) Its a Cult. You get used and abused for minimal pay, and yet I still see my colleagues continuing to go back for more when they could leave consulting and go into industry. Its very much like being brainwashed and in a cult, you simply see nohting else.

3) Technical competence (at least in the advisory area, I assume the more technical depts like audit will be required to be more technically adept) is not always present even in senior team leaders.

4) With the above type of culture, naturally there are very big egos who talk a good game but may lack substance.

Advice to Senior Management1) Be realistic on how much work you have in the pipeline vs hiring new staff, I've seen young enthusiastic staff destroyed cause they have nothing to do but sit on a bench all day

2) Could be more aggressive in managing out the low performing 'dead wood' individuals

But above all and despite my criticisms, I'd recommend the management to not change. Accept that you will have high attrition and focus on keeping hiring rate up. Please don't try and change by being "nicer" for the sake of retaining people, you'd lose the Pros I've highlighted

Staff benefits

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood firm to work for

ConsBenefits could be better, for sure.

good intern

Auditor (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Prosgood overall experience of the real work that is done, xmas party and interaction with partners

Consaudit work boring, very poor communication within team and lack of direction from senior management

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!