KPMG US Reviews in Sydney, Australia

3.6
3,037 Reviews

KPMG US Chairman & CEO John B. Veihmeyer
John B. Veihmeyer

Pros
  • Good job security, decent work life balance except during Tax Season, good benefits (in 182 reviews)

• Great place to start work if you want to see a lot of different things (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is only achieved within the course of a year for those in audit (in 418 reviews)

• Work long hours especially during busy season and political work environment (in 470 reviews)

More Highlights

31 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Laidback young cultured company

Current Employee - Financial Services Audit  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Audit in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at KPMG US as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- young culture
    - long hours
    - job security
    - variety of clients

Cons

- seems to have a recruitment bias from greater unis
    - bad pay until qualification
    - work may be dry at some times

Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Pursuit Project Manager  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Pursuit Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at KPMG US full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary was above industry average.

Cons

I worked 50 hour weeks, and had to be flexible to travel to other cities at the drop of a dime, only to be made redundant whilst pregnant!

My team were all ex-Ernst and Young employees, including my boss. Because I had previously worked in another industry, and never at Ernst and Young, it was hard to join the clique.

Don't promise the world to employees in a job interview only to make them redundant as soon as they become pregnant.

Great intro into the working world

I worked at KPMG US full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Global Big 4 Firm that is easy to enter

Cons

Bad working hours and boring work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over worked and no recognition (personally or financially) unless a manager or higher.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at KPMG US full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exposure to high profile clients and projects; kpmg name on cv

Cons

Incomparable salary brackets, perpetuates. "Us and Them" culture. Old fashioned and exclusive "partners lounge", few and insignificant general staff benefits; Long hours and no thanks; HR only exists as "People and Culture" and as there isn't any protection or union for staff, all issues reported to "People and Culture" are sent to staff's line manager as the interest is only to protect the company; (in-spite of job adverts) inflexible work/life balance for staff under a certain threshold, leave withheld at managers discretion, patronising culture downwards.

Improve staff benefits, including annual leave allowance conditions; support a genuine work/life balance for all employees not just those over $100k; if all staff are expected to work until job is done then encourage partners to cultivate and act upon feelings of THANKS, improve lower tier salaries and include bonuses for all staff.
    Allow leave to be taken when needed, not just at line managers discretion; introduce HR practices which support staff AND the company, not the PPC which is a farce for employee support.
    Make the company somewhere where people want to work, and be proud of, not just because of the name, and not just because the rich get richer and poor are unappreciated.

Not a bad company to work for

I worked at KPMG US full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good reputation. Good exposure to different engagements. High performing environment.

Cons

Some people will pull others around them down to make themselves look better.

Good vacation experience

Former Employee - Vacationer  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Vacationer in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at KPMG US as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great brand name
    Colleagues are professional and approachable to work and learn alongside with
    Got to work on a range of industries throughout internship period
    Vacation program was well structured - provided for interactive opportunities, talks to learn more about the firm

Cons

Tasks assigned were at times of administrative nature but somewhat expected for an internship

It's going down the tubes...

Former Employee - Director  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Director in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at KPMG US full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a good brand name on your c.v.... for now. It opens doors.

Cons

It has a terrible reputation for retaining lateral hires, I wouldn't be surprised if by year 3 almost 80% of lateral hires leave. There is a very strong "closed door" policy - if you're trying to develop a relationship other partners will consider you a threat.

Understand that doing things you did 20 years ago is not what you're expected to do now... if you keep the partnership a closed shop for so long, with many under performing partners there for the ride, you get the situation you are in now... where every partner hates the other.

Great for acquiring soft skills, then move on to the next bigger thing

I worked at KPMG US full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) How to sell yourself - you are trained to be ready with an elevator pitch to sell what you do and who you are every time you have an interaction with another living soul. This sounds brutal but is a Pro because it is expected and taught in the most unashamed and transparent manner which, at least in the companies I've worked for, would've taken yrs to learn.

2) Learn about how to deal with office politics. This is a Pro because of same reason as 1

3) Great for soft skills development such as project management, people management, interpersonal skill

4) Work with some highly intelligent people that you can learn alot from

Cons

1) Burn out quickly. There are those who naturally thrive under a constant pressure, but most burn out quickly by the constant need to prove yourself to get recognition, so there's alot of truth that the average life-span of a consultant is 2yrs

2) Its a Cult. You get used and abused for minimal pay, and yet I still see my colleagues continuing to go back for more when they could leave consulting and go into industry. Its very much like being brainwashed and in a cult, you simply see nohting else.

3) Technical competence (at least in the advisory area, I assume the more technical depts like audit will be required to be more technically adept) is not always present even in senior team leaders.

4) With the above type of culture, naturally there are very big egos who talk a good game but may lack substance.

1) Be realistic on how much work you have in the pipeline vs hiring new staff, I've seen young enthusiastic staff destroyed cause they have nothing to do but sit on a bench all day

2) Could be more aggressive in managing out the low performing 'dead wood' individuals

But above all and despite my criticisms, I'd recommend the management to not change. Accept that you will have high attrition and focus on keeping hiring rate up. Please don't try and change by being "nicer" for the sake of retaining people, you'd lose the Pros I've highlighted

Staff benefits

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at KPMG US full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good firm to work for

Cons

Benefits could be better, for sure.

Good culture, but weak capabilities

Current Employee - Associate Director  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at KPMG US full-time for more than a year

Pros

good culture, though bit old fashioned in the way there are special privileges for partners such as lunchroom and the like

Cons

Capability of professional staff is very patchy, makes it hard to mobilise quality teams

Worked for KPMG US? Contribute to the Community!