KQED Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.2

John L. Boland

Good company environment, little room for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at KQED

Pros

Good people and office environment. The location isn't bad but would be much better if it were downtown

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much room for advancement. It's a small company with limited funds so even getting in is hard

Great Foot Soldiers: Clueless Generals

I have been working at KQED full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

In the past, KQED seems to have attracted some of the most creative, concerned, conscientious, and involved people I've ever met. They are dedicated to what they believe KQED stands for: A publicly supported television station with a unique program line up, and the ability to produce very good programming in it's own right.

Cons

As the title suggests, management has lost touch with what makes KQED great: It's CREATIVE and hardworking PEOPLE. More emphasis seems to be focused on replacing people with automation, and allowing care-less middle management to make decisions for which they are not qualified. I realize technology can - in some cases - replace expensive people, but the KQED workplace is beginning to feel as if upper management would like to remove EVERYONE. There are no employee reviews, no repercussions for incompetent middle management (or upper management) no recognition of a hard working employee and if you happen to be union, the goal of upper management is to find some way to minimize you, although non-union employees have been noting the same disregard from management. Management does not consult it's employees about the best way to execute a task or what would be the best equipment for a specific production. Consequently, expensive mistakes are being made and as mentioned, there have been no repercussions.

It isn't YOU that makes KQED great. It's the staff you are ignoring. Fund raising may be where money comes from, but managing your people is also what you are being paid (VERY well I might add) to do. Performing a survey is one thing, but actually acting on it (not just sending your middle management to management training) is something else. It seems that you desire one thing: being told only what you want to hear, and an effective personnel management strategy requires on-going "360" feedback (some of which you will not like) and verifying and being proactive with those results. There is no such thing as "perfect" management, but you aren't even trying.

Awesome mission, but management fails to align resources with goals.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, great product, good solid place to work. Management is approachable and accessible. Employees truly care about what they do.

Cons

HR is a bit problematic. Definitely only interested in protecting the organization from being sued rather than doing the most they can to also help employees meet their personal goals.

As they move from old to new media (the Internet) they are failing to give the content producers the technical support they need. They run all IT overly lean which makes innovation nearly impossible and reduces tech staff to constant firefighting.

Put your money where your mouth is. Follow through on your promises and commitments. Yes, mission is critical, but you are not going to achieve it without giving your people, who are your most valuable investors and donors, the resources they need to be successful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Intern

Current Employee - Research Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at KQED as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It's cool to see the insides of one of the major TV stations. The managers are nice, but you have to show an initiative.

Cons

It was quite boring - I had to research news articles for the weekly show and compile a list of them for the guests. I could have been more active myself to make the job more interesting, but I didn't understand or was afraid at that time. Be prepared to be inquisitive and curious and go out of the internship requirements.

kqed upper management -- hard to be treated fairly by engineering

Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The money... its Union, but you are constantly "under the gun"

Cons

Management plays favoritism... better hope you're someone they LIKE, cause if you're not, they will make your life there HELL.

Take some basic "How to be a Decent Human Being" Classes!

KQED - great community service, smart media company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at KQED full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

KQED is one of the most innovative public media organizations in the United States. It brings both NPR and PBS to the Bay Area, and creates extensive original content. It has offices in San Francisco and Silicon Valley.

Cons

As a non-profit, it doesn't have extensive research and development funds.

Good mission, friendly learning environment

Former Employee - TV Production Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - TV Production Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people at KQED are generally very nice and welcoming about explaining what they do. Most people are well-educated and well-connected in the community. Good learning environment. Nice shuttle to/from BART. Co-workers have a healthy work/life balance, supportive of schedule conflicts and understanding about illness.

Cons

Nearly everyone here is middle-aged. I went to a producers meeting and every producer was at least 40. The computer-based training went so slowly.

For interns, little chance of being hired at the end of the term. Also, no pay, stipends, or transportation stipends. Gives us the impression that non-profit work doesn't pay.

Hire more young people. There's hardly anyone under 30 at KQED - no doubt the middle-aged staff is very hip, but it would be more welcoming for younger people looking into working at KQED.

Good people, but work environment feels stuffy...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED part-time for less than a year

Pros

I only have experience on the 2nd floor (TV production, program distribution, communications). Met some really wonderful people at my time with KQED. Everyone is pretty passionate about public media. Shuttle from BART is pretty great.

Cons

Started as an intern and transitioned into a part-time position. Unfortunately, this isn't the case for most. Most of the other interns don't see long-term futures with the company. My time was also limited due to funding and, honestly, never really finding a good fit for my skill sets.

Bring in more young people with energy to enliven the at-time drab climate, but keep those that have contributed vibrant energy for a long time!

The dirty laundry within

Former Employee - Reporter  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Reporter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

When at it's best, public radio reporting is fulfilling and fun

Cons

As with many public radio stations, the management at KQED is managerially deficient. Most are old reporters with no management background and no training outside of a public radio context. This manifests in the form of poor communication of expectations, priorities and strategy. Emotional outburts and passive aggression are common. There's a glaring disconnect between externally projected "public radio" values and the internal reality. The most egregious example is how KQED keeps many workers on as contractors, sometimes for years on end.

Learn how to back up your reporters. We didn't chose this line of the work for the money, and certainly not to be embroiled in endless office politics. If we wanted that, we could go elsewhere and be paid more. Many of us do. Reward employees who go the extra mile, by working late, voluntarily writing up training manuals, etc. Many people at KQED feel unappreciated and abused.

They do really care about employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at KQED full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tons of PTO, great work/life balance, and low-stress environment. Very comprehensive health insurance (though you pay ~30% of the premium). Most employees are very passionate about the organization and its product.

Cons

Employee passion can translate into lower salaries. Raises are difficult to come by due to tightly controlled HR/review protocal. Though some employees are very successful at moving to different departments, others have had difficulty or are at a salary disadvantage when moving internally. My department was never allowed to work from home or flex hours--this is not the case in the whole organization.

Love the PTO. Some consideration of how to develop and retain talent is probably due.

KQED Photos

KQED Radio

+ Add Photo

Worked for KQED? Contribute to the Community!