KQED Reviews

3.4
John L. Boland

1. Great First TV Internship

I worked at KQED

Pros

I interned for the panel discussion show on Friday nights. The producers and crew were very nice and helpful in giving advice. It's one of the few internships where the intern actually has a role in the production of the show. I got a great foundation for live TV production and the different roles involved.

Cons

Parking is tough if you're not allowed to park in the underground garage.

2. Mostly positive, nurturing environment for a select few.

I worked at KQED full-time

Pros

The employees are interesting, hard-working, and committed to the mission. The programs produced there are top notch. They strive to be forward-thinking.

Cons

The management rewards those who stay the longest, not those with the most talent or the hardest working. Many are encouraged to leave as they are openly told that is the best path to getting promoted.

3. Former Intern

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at KQED

Pros

Reporters are open to hearing your pitches, friendly and collaborative working environment. Employees have good work/life balance.

Cons

Internship is only two days a week, pay is minimum wage. Only working 2 days a week, it's hard to feel like you spend enough time in the office or in the field to really make an impact or produce things in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Open even more channels for collaboration. I was frustrated that there was no way to see a centralized list of stories in progress, I feel this inhibited my ability to work with reporters from across different divisions of KQED.

5. was an intern for the Forum Program and it was great. cemented my love for npr there.

Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at KQED

Pros

great position for entry level college students who have never really had a hand in experiencing journalism.

Cons

something i with i knew working there is that they want to hear pitches from interns. be bold, even if you feel the don't want to hear it!

Advice to Management

the people at kqed are the nicest, caring and passionate people i've ever encountered in a workplace. very generous work culture.

6. Overall good place to work

I worked at KQED

Pros

People are dedicated. Easy to become friends with coworkers. Good work/life balance. I found my job here to be fun and fulfilling. I have seen the org move quality employees to other departments when job have been dissolved (But this depends on who your manager is)

Cons

Depending on your experience and manager moving up can be near impossible. Best to get experience here and move on to a bigger org.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for staff to develop skill set and grow rather than lose quality employees. Also create more opportunity to share mission moments. It is easy to forget why we are there.

Great Foot Soldiers: Clueless Generals

I have been working at KQED full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In the past, KQED seems to have attracted some of the most creative, concerned, conscientious, and involved people I've ever met. They are dedicated to what they believe KQED stands for: A publicly supported television station with a unique program line up, and the ability to produce very good programming in it's own right.

Cons

As the title suggests, management has lost touch with what makes KQED great: It's CREATIVE and hardworking PEOPLE. More emphasis seems to be focused on replacing people with automation, and allowing care-less middle management to make decisions for which they are not qualified. I realize technology can - in some cases - replace expensive people, but the KQED workplace is beginning to feel as if upper management would like to remove EVERYONE. There are no employee reviews, no repercussions for incompetent middle management (or upper management) no recognition of a hard working employee and if you happen to be union, the goal of upper management is to find some way to minimize you, although non-union employees have been noting the same disregard from management. Management does not consult it's employees about the best way to execute a task or what would be the best equipment for a specific production. Consequently, expensive mistakes are being made and as mentioned, there have been no repercussions.

Advice to Management

It isn't YOU that makes KQED great. It's the staff you are ignoring. Fund raising may be where money comes from, but managing your people is also what you are being paid (VERY well I might add) to do. Performing a survey is one thing, but actually acting on it (not just sending your middle management to management training) is something else. It seems that you desire one thing: being told only what you want to hear, and an effective personnel management strategy requires on-going "360" feedback (some of which you will not like) and verifying and being proactive with those results. There is no such thing as "perfect" management, but you aren't even trying.

Awesome mission, but management fails to align resources with goals.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great product, good solid place to work. Management is approachable and accessible. Employees truly care about what they do.

Cons

HR is a bit problematic. Definitely only interested in protecting the organization from being sued rather than doing the most they can to also help employees meet their personal goals. As they move from old to new media (the Internet) they are failing to give the content producers the technical support they need. They run all IT overly lean which makes innovation nearly impossible and reduces tech staff to constant firefighting.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is. Follow through on your promises and commitments. Yes, mission is critical, but you are not going to achieve it without giving your people, who are your most valuable investors and donors, the resources they need to be successful.

Good company environment, little room for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at KQED

Pros

Good people and office environment. The location isn't bad but would be much better if it were downtown

Cons

There doesn't seem to be much room for advancement. It's a small company with limited funds so even getting in is hard

kqed upper management -- hard to be treated fairly by engineering

Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KQED full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The money... its Union, but you are constantly "under the gun"

Cons

Management plays favoritism... better hope you're someone they LIKE, cause if you're not, they will make your life there HELL.

Advice to Management

Take some basic "How to be a Decent Human Being" Classes!

11. KQED - great community service, smart media company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at KQED full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

KQED is one of the most innovative public media organizations in the United States. It brings both NPR and PBS to the Bay Area, and creates extensive original content. It has offices in San Francisco and Silicon Valley.

Cons

As a non-profit, it doesn't have extensive research and development funds.

RSS Feed </> Embed