KTGY Group Reviews

3.3
KTGY Group CEO Tricia Esser
Tricia Esser

1. Great potential, but ultimately frustrating

I have been working at KTGY Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, casual office. A very YOUNG staff (in case you're into that): my team has only four of fourteen people older than 30. Strong party culture (in case you're into that): happy hours are common and drinking is encouraged. Direct contact with clients is not limited to just the PMs. Great benefits, especially the employer match to 401(k) accounts. My particular boss was fantastic: great consideration, good communication, and a memory for projects like a bear trap.

Cons

Separation of design and production (i.e. "the glass wall"). Conscientious and sustainable design is only considered if the client specifically asks. Higher-ups actively encourage salaried employees to make unreasonable demands of hourly employees (e. g. salaried employees are encouraged to tell hourly employees to "have this on my desk by 8 am" when the salaried employee leaves at 5). A very YOUNG staff (in case you're not into that): my team has only four of fourteen people older than 30. Strong party culture (in case you're not into that): happy hours are common and drinking is encouraged. General lack of compassion and tact toward diversity, especially for an office in the Bay Area. FAST paced work combined with a sink-or-swim perspective; not dedicated to quality over quantity. I have not personally experienced maternity leave, but I know several women had poor experiences with it. A general depreciation of ethics

Advice to Management

You provide employees great perks, now treat them like people. Every last one, no matter his or her job title, gender, sexual orientation, or race. Discipline behavior you know isn't right. Work toward proactive, ethical design rather than just constant reactivity to market demand.

KTGY Group Response

May 29, 2015 – Director of Employee Relations

We appreciate you taking time to review your experience with KTGY. Well thought-out and constructive comments from our employees are beneficial to us. In light of some of your specific comments and ... More

2. Hire what you NEED, not more

Former Employee - Architectural Intern in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Architectural Intern in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at KTGY Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big Name Company with opportunity to move around from location to location. Decent design work.

Cons

They often hire more people than they need and then fire people. (This is what happened to me and has happened to many others.) They separate design from production, making it impossible to get experience in both for your IDP hours and also making your job less comprehensive overall. They have terrible HR. There are two people for the whole company (ALL locations) and no way for you to have a private conversation with an HR person if you are not in the Irvine office where those 2 people work. In addition, the principles and other managers, etc. at the Tyson's office are very unapproachable, both with work-related questions, and with anything else that may need to be discussed, such as time off for illness or other personal issues. For someone coming in with very little experience, they are unwilling to train you, because everyone is already so overloaded that they don't have the time to actually sit down and go over how things work. In addition, their filing system for job files and for billing hours is completely illogical and disorganized, making it hard to know where things are.

Advice to Management

Consider actually taking the time to train your new employees and treat them as the investment that they are. Do your best to actually explain the system of how things work at KTGY and allow some wiggle room for questions. BE APPROACHABLE. It is very frustrating to work somewhere that makes it so uncomfortable to ask questions. (At my current job, I have had to have managers tell me to ask more questions, because I got so afraid of asking questions at KTGY.)

3. A Bland Cracker.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at KTGY Group

Pros

Fun, younger people to work with.

Cons

Nothing special, Not much design.

Advice to Management

Give people more opportunities to grow and move up the ladder and they will work harder for you.

5. Best firm I have worked at!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at KTGY Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with in Denver are amazing! Very good group of people!

Cons

Cold days in denver are a bummer!

6. Work Hard Play Hard, Great Company Culture - Oakland Office

Former Employee - Project Manager - Architecture in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager - Architecture in Oakland, CA

I worked at KTGY Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No cubicles, open door policies, MANY events from Design Presentations and Lunch and Learns to Birthday Events and Happy Hours. The sky was the limit in job potential. The responsibility you seek is the responsibility you will obtain. Very flexible hours and hands off management style. Good and bad: most people appreciate setting their own hours, some people take advantage of it; if you want to advance, sometimes you have to take it on yourself, but suggestions where always welcomed and usually honored. 5 stars is hard to give though, so 4.5?

Cons

Jack London Square area is nice enough, but Oakland can be sketchy. Lots of "smash and grabs" (broken car window to steal your gum and the change in the ashtray, or your bag, or whatever). Working for public builders presents challenges if you want to push the design. "Architecture" decisions are often made by people with ZERO design background who only have the bottom line in their mind (it exists everywhere, but particularly with large builders). It's expensive to live in the Bay Area, and their salaries don't necessarily make it worth it unless you want a long commute.

Advice to Management

I was VERY happy with the management of the firm, and the structure of things. Keep doing the things that make employees happy, and the work will reflect that.

7. Great Work Environment

Former Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at KTGY Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and tradition. Employees are valued.

Cons

Separation of design and production; the glass wall.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Decent experience if you could wade through the office politics

Current Employee - Architectural in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Architectural in Denver, CO

I have been working at KTGY Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hired great personalities. There was usually a fun and dynamic atmosphere between coworkers. Provided a Technical education and experience

Cons

Lack of management. Also, raises and responsibilities depend on your ability to play into office politics. If the studio director and wife don't like you, you are screwed.

9. Quick paced work environment. Quantity over quality work.

I worked at KTGY Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworker try to help with advancing careers. Management is not sequestered in their own offices, working in the same space.

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent (team dependent). Put in an 8 hour workday, expected to give more without billing hours - i.e. knowingly breaking labor laws. Sink or swim environment without helping you learn how to swim.

Advice to Management

Focus on people, not the bottom line.

10. Great place to learn and grow

I have been working at KTGY Group

Pros

Many different teams = different experiences and projects to work on.

Cons

Not much to say here. Each team has a different work atmosphere so find the one that suits you best.

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Project Architect
    Current Employee - Project Architect

I have been working at KTGY Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team environment, allowed to be entrepreneurial within a structured team environment.

Cons

None that I can think of

RSS Feed </> Embed