KTLA-TV Reviews

Don Corsini

Assignment Desk Intern

Current Employee - Assignment Desk Intern in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Assignment Desk Intern in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at KTLA-TV as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great working with like-minded, driven individuals.

Cons

The hours usually are pretty sucky.

Media Company Fails its Personnel as it Emerges from Bankruptcy

Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KTLA-TV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The biggest PRO is the individual people who work at KTLA. A work/family environment still exists at KTLA. Another PRO is KTLA's legacy and its standing in the Los Angeles community. It is, by many accounts, the station of record when major news events happen.

Cons

KTLA is owned by the Tribune Corp and, unfortunately, employees are increasingly treated poorly. The Newsroom is a high stress, high demand work environment. Pay is not up to market standards and, despite having just spent 2.7 Billion on purchasing 19 TV Stations, raises are few and far between. In fact many employees and per diems will go years without a cost of living or merit pay increase. While the amount of live TV News production at KTLA has doubled in recent years, compensation for the extra work is zero.

There is a total lack of communication with management and staff as to long term objectives. Management does not make any effort to foster a feeling in the staff that they have a part in steering KTLA's future. Don't expect pats on the back for your hard work, except on rare occasions, these do not happen.

After Tribune emerged from Bankruptcy, there was a hope that the company would become a strong employee oriented institution. That was not the case. In fact KTLA and its parent company are more interested in penny pinching and ignoring their staff. It is ashame for the many wonderful people who call KTLA a second home. Although I am still employed at KTLA, I would not recommend it to prospective employees.

A message excerpted from a Harvard Business School study to corporate America and to KTLA/Tribune: Thriving citizens become more productive employees, more willing consumers, and stronger supporters of pro-business policies,' it said. 'Struggling citizens are disgruntled at work, frugal at the cash register, and anti-business at the ballot box.'

Abusive enviroment

Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Broadcast Engineer in Hollywood, CA

I worked at KTLA-TV full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are in a bargaining unit, it is ok

Cons

Autocratic, demeaning and spirit killing.

Recognize the blood, sweat and tears of the dedicated employees. Stop the rule by intimidation and fear.

I learned a lot about the ever-changing industry

I worked at KTLA-TV as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture is fun. I learned a lot from my supervisor in my short three months interning. Definitely a great station to learn at.

Cons

At the time, KTLA was in bankruptcy, so it was not easy for employees to grow. There was a lot of downsizing, which added more work for different departments, but you cannot survive in the industry if you cannot work under a little pressure.

Family environment, opportunities to move up

Former Employee - Assignment Desk in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Assignment Desk in Hollywood, CA

I worked at KTLA-TV part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All hands on deck mentality, teamwork, friendly people. Even freelancers get 401k. Supervisors are generally easy-going, give you the trust to do your job. So show up, be present and do your work and you will be recognized for it. The higher-ups take time to notice and show you their appreciation. They are also supportive say you want to switch departments, move up... they will be your mentor and help you. I still keep in touch after all these years because they were like family when I worked there.

Cons

Compensation is maybe on the lower-end for the local news stations for a comparable position. Some people, there are always bad apples anywhere, harbor a lot of negativity and bring it to work. I don't care about their personal lives but I do care when it impacts the productivity in the newsroom. There is some expectation that when you are called into work as a freelancer that you show up at a moment's notice. Sometimes unrealistic, but just go with it. They can tell if you are just blowing them off or genuinely want work but cannot make it. Morale seems to be going down since the shift of higher ups in the 2008-09 ... but that may not apply to your situation. Your direct supervisors are who will most dictate how your work life would be so get to know them well.

Scheduling can be more organized. Sometimes, especially on the weekends, the communication breaks down and no one seems to know what is going on. So keep a steady communication with your people whether it's on the weekdays/weekends to ensure continuity. Perhaps have a rotating weekend schedule so weekenders don't feel 'stuck' and begrudged that they have to miss every social event on the weekend.

Great managers

Current Employee - Finance Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KTLA-TV as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everybody was friendly, Great management - they were very helpful and provided good advice.

Cons

Not as much challenge as expected.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KTLA-TV as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

unpaid and long hours to work

Sports Intern

Former Employee - Sports Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sports Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KTLA-TV as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

*hands on
    * great mentors
    *great experience

Cons

Traffic to get to LA

Decent experience yet wanted more

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KTLA-TV as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good producers
    Good spirits around the offices
    Allows you to get a very hands on experience as an intern. They trust you to compose the highlights for them

Cons

- Producers and anchors clash heads about content
    - Not all the producers get along
    -At times, I wondered why they even needed me in the office

Work out these issues between management and employees. It was beginning to effect the work quality by the time my internship ended.

Marketing Intern

I have been working at KTLA-TV part-time

Pros

Pay, Hours, Time off, and scheduling

Cons

you will work more than you expect. the company runs very lean.