KVH Industries

Martin A. Kits van Heyningen

Great place to work.

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Middletown, RI

ProsGreat people dedicated to what they do and who truly care about their customers.

ConsRI is cold in the winter.

Great Company to work for!!

ProsI have been with KVH for close to 15 years and enjoy my job just as much today as in the beginning. KVH takes care of the employees making sure they have the tools required to do the job and keeping up with technology. KVH has expanded over the last few years and is now Global and yet continues to hold the family oriented feel. There are many perks also; monthly luncheons, summer picnics, christmas parties, etc.

ConsThis can often be a very fast paced environment which can be a bit stressful at times.

Great to work for global company in small town near the ocean

Middletown, RI

ProsIt is exciting to work for an innovative company that is at the center of current technologies -- satellite communications and unmanned systems. It is also interesting to work for a company where the founders have a strong guiding vision that has enabled the company to grow from a single product to hundreds of products in a relatively short time span of 20+ years. It is a dynamic environment and there are plenty of opportunities here; if you have a good idea, you can tell someone about it and they will let you grow in your job in a way that benefits both you and the company. This is a global company now, but it is still located in a small town just a mile from the ocean, so the work-life balance is great!

ConsThe dynamic environment can accelerate into a overly fast pace at times when there is a product development deadline or a product launch.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the strong vision and keep pushing the company forward, but also make sure people have time to contemplate even greater things.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome

Middletown, RI

ProsKVH Industries is a great company to work for I have been an employee with the company for well over 10 years and I have been very happy here and hope to continue on with company as long as possible. The company it's self has done very well and continues to do so today with so many innovative idea's and technology the skies the limit! Kvh also care's a great deal about their products, customer satisfaction, as well as their employees and why I believe the company has been so successful. As for the Kits van Heyningens Heyningen's family they have worked very hard to achieve their goals and accomplishments to get where they are today, yet they are always very generous not only to their employees but to the community as well. That says a lot in it's self.

ConsI have no cons to mention at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep up the great work, employees on every level, we are the heart of the company and together we will succeed!

Fortunate to have worked here for many years, company founders are hard working, caring, and value employee happiness.

Management (Current Employee)

ProsVery generous family-like business, monthly catered luncheon, Friday social hour, incredible summer picnic and Christmas party, extremely interesting technology, discounted stock purchase plan, great medical and dental benefits, tuition assistance plan, great people, performance-based evaluation rather than political

ConsNone! I cannot think of any cons!

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we continue growing, maintain the great family-like atmosphere and don't allow politics to become a factor.

Very happy to work for KVH Industries!

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Middletown, RI

ProsTruly results oriented work environment.
    Great energizing culture, perfect work-life balance, surrounded by intelligent and dedicated people, very inspiring vision of a future.

ConsHonestly, there isn't really any Cons in my book.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to reward and encourage people to do their best.
    Trust your people at all levels.
    Keep company strong!

I love working at KVH

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
    Middletown, RI

ProsKVH has a very friendly and approachable company culture. The people at KVH are warm, hardworking and intelligent. The company does a lot to give back to its employees and to the community. The very low turn-over rate says a lot about what it's like to be part of the KVH family. Furthermore, the company is doing really well and working on some very exciting projects so there's plenty of room to grow and challenge yourself.

ConsThe free beer at happy hour is rarely imported.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep striving to promote internally.

Fast paced, great people, great location; sky's the limit if you dive in and take responsibility

ProsGreat place for self-directed individuals. Company is always working on the newest technology and pushing into new fields and areas, so never a dull moment. Not a place for someone who wants to be closely directed and isn't comfortable with diving in and making decisions. Diverse product offering so lots of opportunity within the company to find an area of concentration that you really want to focus on and then ask management to let you!
    Located in one of the most beautiful places in the world; surrounded by the natural beauty of the ocean which is a great balance to the high-paced office and provides a great release. Commutes are easy and scenic.

ConsVery lean company without a lot of middle management so you work hard here and are pulled in many directions. Management expects that you are on top of what you are doing and there are lots of areas to focus on so must learn how to juggle on your own and not expect to be told where you should be focusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on attracting and bringing in new people (young and inexperienced as well as experienced and maybe not so young) to keep the company innovative and full of new ideas and ways of approaching things; don't always promote from within; fresh new minds are critical to staying on the leading edge and keeping all employees motivated.

Exceptional Place To Work!

Senior Administrator (Current Employee)
    Middletown, RI

ProsGreat Benefits, Plenty of Advancement Opportunities, Cohesive Management Teams and Team Work, Flexibility to Work From Home, Family-Like Atmosphere, and Health Classes offered such as Yoga and Barre. Also, you can't beat working on an island!

ConsWorking for multiple managers makes it harder to prioritze daily tasks and projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Management, keep pushing the envelope of innovation and technology. Always welcome ideas from interns, the newly employed, and all employees. Remember that the youngest employees are often on the pulse of technology. Motivate your employees and it will add to the success of the company.

Dynamic, exciting, fast-growing company with hands-on involvement in its markets and community

ProsKVH continues to develop and introduce cutting-edge products & services. It also has an established commitment to product development. There's an exciting work atmosphere at KVH as new technologies and markets are always being explored. Individual contributions are recognized and rewarded, and the pay scale is usually on-target based on experience and expertise. People here are engaged, smart and enthusiastic.Many department heads are open to flexible scheduling for individuals.

ConsThe growing pains of the organization have made some paths to promotion a bit unclear and ill-defined. It seems like the management has had some trouble moving from a "family-owned" management style to a stockholder-owned management approach, but again this may be due to KVH's incredible growth in recent years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to listen and embrace the advice and insights of key employees and management professionals with in-depth experience at companies other than KVH. There are many benefits to be had from learning how other companies handle such issues as team-building, personnel conflicts and unpleasant realities like corporate bullying. While "the way things have always been done" has rewarded KVH with great success in the past, is not a reliable road map for leading the company into the future.

Worked for KVH Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KVH Industries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for KVH Industries CEO Martin A. Kits van Heyningen. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by KVH Industries employees.