Kaazing

3.4

Vikram Mehta

World Class Technical Talent

I have been working at Kaazing full-time

Pros

- Exposure to technology from browser to mobile (iOS/Android) and Gateway server (Java)
    - Market leader in fast growing product space
    - Ideal work location in downtown Mountain View CA
    - Flexible working hours
    - I learn something new everyday

Cons

- Need more developers to cover new platform features to meet customer demand

Continue expanding market reach beyond early adopters

Horrible. On their way out.

Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I worked at Kaazing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Flexible Work Hours
    - Fun Projects (outside of the box)
    - Nice equipment to use
    - Websockets has a lot of potential
    - When I started the start up culture led by founder was very vibrant and fun. - Reason I worked there
    - Pay is good, but extremely hard to actually hit #'s (if your on bonus plan)

Cons

Lack market position, what does Kaazing want to sell at the end of the day? Who Knows?

*CEO is over his head. The company is struggling and he spends most days barking orders like the employees are slaves. Marching orders are often changed 1-2 days later after wasting resources on the previous tasks.
    ----Not a single person talks positively about the CEO at the company. Be Warned, He will treat you poorly.

Zero direct sales. - Every quarter its the same deals being delayed, pushed off, or lost to simple product short comings. Most sales are pushed by partner relationships.

Several SR leaders have left (Co Founder, CFO, 3 X Marketing Heads, & Numerous Sales VP's.) killing all office culture.

Employees are very remote. Collaboration and general boding is very difficult.

Horrible commuter location.

Outlook for an exit (IPO/Buy Out) extremely bad.

Ditch Vikram (CEO) and rebuild upon a new product that does something that is marketable.

Crash & Burn

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kaazing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a great company. Was once full of possibility and potential. Now, the dream is over. All because of one meg·a·lo·ma·ni·ac.

Cons

CEO aka Chief Executive Terrorist...has single handedly destroyed Kaazing. What an unforgivable shame...

Over the past year: Forced out a Co-Founder, terminated 4 Executives [heading up key departments including Sales, Marketing, EMEA Sales and none have been replaced], was the reason 8 employees across all departments resigned within a 3 week period earlier this Summer, and terminated 10 others in the past 3 months. A dictator never recognizes that the common denominator in all of the chaos and turmoil in a failing regime is HIM.

In total error, the Board has backed the dark side, and with that decision has doomed the fate of Kaazing.

An obvious decline in leadership.

I worked at Kaazing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people who do the work at Kaazing are excellent and talented people. I've never been intellectually challenged at a job as much as at Kaazing. The product is revolutionary and the possible applications are endless. Peers encourage your work and it's really exciting to realize the potential of IoT & Kaazing. When I started I would have rated this company 4 stars.

Cons

The management was rocky since day one. There was no clear direction, employees were not encouraged to share ideas, management suggested projects that were way out of scope and impossible to complete with all the small daily tasks being loaded on. Generally employees felt undervalued by management (not each other). To amplify the issue, a new leader was brought on by the board who's motivational approach was to belittle employees, sometimes literally saying things like "this work is sh*t." Despite showing eagerness to help the company change and grow, we were subjected to audits, and then questioned about why we were working on what we were working on, even though our orders for deliverables came from the top down. I have honestly never been less motivated than I was by this sense of reverse-encouragement. Employees should be valued and empowered – a leader is only as good as his followers. There were frequent complaints about embarrassing employees in front of clients, being rude to our vendors, and generally mistreating people in the office. Ultimately, Kaazing employees are experienced and qualified people who can just as well find a job where they are making more money, innovating in a teamwork environment, and not dealing with constant clashes in the hallway.

Teams need project managers who can buffer them from the abrasive approach of the new leader, and also ensure that employees are cohesively working toward the same goal as dictated by him. That said, trust your employees! If you don't think your employees can do their job and add valuable insight to the company, then why did you hire them?

Everybody wants to rule the world

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Kaazing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Kaazing helped invent the WebSocket standard and there's an amazing ecosystem building around that standard. Among the open-source and commercial WebSocket offerings, Kaazing's "WebSocket Gateway" is a brilliant product that helps companies add WebSocket capabilities easily to their existing systems.

The technology is brilliant, and the "Zingers" (past and present) are smart and passionate without playing "I'm smarter than you" ego games. The company has a very flat structure and a mostly-open culture where everybody is willing to help everybody else. (The general lack of politics is very refreshing.)

Cons

Kaazing's people are being recruited at a fearsome rate into some very attractive startups. This causes a huge brain drain and has led to some serious difficulties when you need to work with a technology that a now-departed engineer wrote. (The corporate memory tends to be short-term.)

There has also been a significant (and necessary) culture shift from being an engineering-driven company to a sales-driven company. The engineering group maintains its own subculture with plenty of camaraderie, but also feels the strain of being a bubble in a (now) sales-driven company. This may have contributed to the flight of several key people in the past year.

Finally, WebSocket is no longer cutting-edge, it's mainstream. Kaazing is now competing with open source. It means you will have to look deeper at what the product does and who uses it. It means you'll have to have longer discussions to get past the "open source" question to find the right places to use it. But it also means the rewards are sweeter when you find that perfect fit.

You say that your people are a critical asset, yet they're becoming hard to hold onto. Employee retention is about more than pay and stock options, so find someone to be a dedicated HR resource and have him or her engage with the current employees as well as prospective ones. Let your HR person be a standards-bearer for culture, compensation, and benefits. This is as much a part of growing up as the pivot to being sales-driven is.

Recognize the contributions that *everyone* makes. Handing fat checks to the salespeople to the all-hands may motivate salespeople but downplays the team effort required. "One Kaazing" cuts both ways: supporting sales in every possible way and recognizing those supportive efforts.

Recognize that our recent maturation has also left the executives looking more insular and secretive. Spend more time chatting with us, ringing the cash register when deals come in, and just getting the pulse of the company. Kudos to Jonas for still embracing "management by wandering around".

Technology Visionary, Management Challenged

Former Employee - IT Operations Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - IT Operations Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Kaazing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Kaazing employees contributed to the establishment of the Internet and HTML5 standard: WebSocket RFC-6455. Their technology vision and their engineering, sales engineering, solution engineering, and sales teams are the best I've worked with in my entire career, so you will gain valuable real-time web technology experience.

Cons

Most of Kaazing's mangement are first time managers: they can be unseasoned and the Peter Principle may apply. The company culture is to keep the organization as flat as possible and focus on execution without employee investment. Therefore, ambitious employees leave, retention is a serious issue, and promotion only occurs when a manager leaves, sales demands growth, or one has another offer in hand.

If Peter Drucker's tenet "a company's primary responsibility is to serve and keep its customers" is extended to include investors and employees, then you must respond better to the market by including retention as a metric of success, performing post-mortems, and agile course correction to improve. It should not only be the Chairman of the Board who asks "what would it take to stay at Kaazing?"

I have a mixed outlook for Kaazing. For prospective employees I would say: wonderful people, immense potential, good experience, and I bought my vested stock. Ask your hiring manager about their retention %, examples of career growth, and company sales history to get an up to date picture.

Great product, disorganized management

I have been working at Kaazing full-time

Pros

Visionary, amazing product that has yet to find its market, but when it does will be amazing. Incredibly smart, great people work here from the top on down.

Cons

In general management is slow and disorganized, can take months for a simple decision. Some high-level managers don't seem to have a clear idea about what is going on in the organization yet try to micromanage somewhat. Not enough middle-managers.

Hire some middle managers or just get on track with decisions and with understanding the current processes and realities of what is happening. A lot of time focused on fund-raising with no one to manage staff day to day.

work with a game changer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Kaazing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- very flexible work/life balance.
    - the tech is way ahead of the curve. You're creating software for the next version of Web networking.
    - focused on innovation.
    - it's an exciting place to work.
    - HQ office in Mountain View has the best view of Silicon Valley. A really pretty place to work.

Cons

- adoption of the latest tech advances always takes time. And you're at the mercy of a hesitant market at times. It requires patience.
    - it's a small company, so if you're looking to climb the ladder it might not be a great fit.

- keep innovating, stay focused, keep having fun

Part of a Web Revolution (Trending Up!)

I have been working at Kaazing full-time

Pros

Solid approach to cutting-edge technology. A trendsetter without being trendy. People who work at Kaazing are passionate about making excellent products and fostering good relationships with customers and partners. Quality, user experience, and innovation are high priorities.

Cons

Be prepared to be inspired -- perhaps overly so. Flexibility, agility, and focus are must-haves to work at Kaazing.

Continue to communicate both internally and externally and set clear goals.

Technology way ahead of the curve, with a first-rate friendly culture

Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Kaazing full-time

Pros

The management has created an excellent culture, based on respect, honor and honesty. We're all grown up mature people here. As an engineer, the innovative work you can do on a forward-looking product is itself very rewarding, and you are rewarded for you hard work as well. It's a great mix of experienced folks and younger engineers who drive each other to do better every day.

Cons

You will have to be patient and have belief in the technology because market adoption has been "poised to grow" for a while now. Sometimes in bursts the hours will be long.

Try to focus on aspects of the business that drive revenue even more than you are. It's very important.

Kaazing Photos