Kabam

Updated December 13, 2014
3.8

Kabam CEO Kevin Chou
Kevin Chou

Pros
  • Benefits, free lunch, location, beer on tap (in 16 reviews)

• Kabam has a great work/life balance across most departments that I've worked with: engineering, marketing, art, product, etc (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • 5 years), which results in a fair bit of overtime leading into milestones; work/life balance can be difficult to maintain at times (in 3 reviews)

• Though publicly announced, career advancement path is not implemented effectively (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun project, good team of experienced game devs, mature attitudes and good work life balance.

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam

Pros

Professional and fun. Small studio feel but big company perks.

Cons

The company has gotten too big for stock options to be a valid incentive any longer. A better plan for bonuses would be good for long term planning.

See above. Stock options are just about meaningless for anyone hired since the last big investment round. Which is a typical problem for start ups who get so big pre- IPO, but nonetheless, it creates a serious lack of long term incentive for new hires.

Awesome people, awesome benefits, awesome everything!

Current Employee - Live Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Live Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Company direction is very solid and makes sense - the company focuses on the long term, and not the short term which is really refreshing.
    -Leadership genuinely cares about the employees and how they can benefit and enrich the lives of employees.
    -Easy to explore and do new things

Cons

-Wish there were more vacation days but it is an American company after all...
    -Projects move too fast sometimes that it's hard to wait for meaningful data to come in before a huge change is implemented

What's not to Like?

Current Employee - Senior Flash Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Flash Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Reasonable and flexible hours, cool projects, free lunch every day, long-term approach toward staff, great benefits, Unity office is downstairs, cocktails at Sprit Retrospective meetings every week.

Cons

Hmmm . . . every job has a frustration or two if you're working with other engineers, but that's life. Nothing stands out at Kabam.

Good first impressions

Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The environment seems friendly, and the people around don't look depressed. There is laughter from multiple directions, and that likely means people here longer than me (3 months) are still enjoying themselves to some extent. I don't dread waking up to come to work in the morning, so that's got to count for a lot.

Cons

I believe a lot of groups within the company are doing similar work, but it isn't shared around enough. I feel like I am often doing work that has likely already been completed by someone else on another project and that feels wasteful.

For information that would obviously help other groups also, it should be proactively provided to others as a resource.

Way Better Than Expected

I have been working at Kabam full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Just joined recently and wasn't sure what I'd think of it given reputation. It's way, way better than I expected.
    -Excellent Perks
    -Transparent leaders who give lots of information on where the business is going and why
    -Teams given the support and resources necessary to make great games
    -Organization is focused on making fun games

Cons

-Historic baggage from making niche web games (people assume the company is something that it isn't)
    -Feels a little more like a "big company" than a startup, so if you're expecting lightning fast startup decision making, it's not there anymore

Keep focused on what matters: making great games.

Good company to work

Former Employee - Platform Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Platform Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kabam as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good people and good environment. Full time people like to help interns with their technical skills.

Cons

I didn't find any cons to be honest. If I have to say one is they hide the ice cream in somewhere that you can't find it easily.

product management intern

Former Employee - Product Manager Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kabam as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, benefits, educational series. Really try to make the summer a learning experience

Cons

As far as the summer internship goes, not much. They really try to teach you valuable skills that are applicable to not just gaming but PM in general

Ok company to work for if you need time off from actual work

Current Employee - Player Experience Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Player Experience Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kabam full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good office culture, free lunches, plenty of time off

Cons

no real advancement, bonus structure is not to be expected

Work on the bonus structure and giving people the benefit and title if they are already doing the management type of work.

Refreshing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While no company is perfect, Kabam's leadership seems to be committed to doing right by their employees and players. They recognize when they have shortcomings and actively work to correct them. They are also quick to reward hard work and effort. The leadership is very approachable.

Cons

Some employees are unclear about career advancement paths. However, Kabam is actively working to provide clarity on that.

You're on the right track. Keep striving to improve.

A chill place to work, but could use more project direction.

Current Employee - Environment Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Environment Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great perks: free lunch everyday, good insurance options, 401k, commuter benefits. Nice company functions: game demo day, picnics, etc. Ideal team sizes, interesting project ideas, using high end tech.

Cons

Communication between disciplines on projects is poor. Teams are structured and managed like 100 person teams with excessive task tracking/sprint planning etc. People need to talk to each other more. Project lacks focus, ie everyone is on the ship but we don't know where we're going exactly.

Work on small team dynamics. De-emphasize task tracking/sprint planning and focus on individual ownership on tasks to get people caring about their work and the project. Put leads in place that are willing to teach the younger guys/gals how to be better at their job instead of acting like a taskmaster. Hire skilled workers that understand how to use the tools needed to make games and fewer 'idea' guys.