Kabam

Updated December 13, 2014
3.8

Kabam CEO Kevin Chou
Kevin Chou

Pros
  • Benefits, free lunch, location, beer on tap (in 16 reviews)

• Kabam has a great work/life balance across most departments that I've worked with: engineering, marketing, art, product, etc (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • 5 years), which results in a fair bit of overtime leading into milestones; work/life balance can be difficult to maintain at times (in 3 reviews)

• Though publicly announced, career advancement path is not implemented effectively (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

A chill place to work, but could use more project direction.

Current Employee - Environment Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Environment Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great perks: free lunch everyday, good insurance options, 401k, commuter benefits. Nice company functions: game demo day, picnics, etc. Ideal team sizes, interesting project ideas, using high end tech.

Cons

Communication between disciplines on projects is poor. Teams are structured and managed like 100 person teams with excessive task tracking/sprint planning etc. People need to talk to each other more. Project lacks focus, ie everyone is on the ship but we don't know where we're going exactly.

Work on small team dynamics. De-emphasize task tracking/sprint planning and focus on individual ownership on tasks to get people caring about their work and the project. Put leads in place that are willing to teach the younger guys/gals how to be better at their job instead of acting like a taskmaster. Hire skilled workers that understand how to use the tools needed to make games and fewer 'idea' guys.

Lack of Direction

I have been working at Kabam

Pros

Perks:
    -Free Lunch / Dinner
    -Free drinks / snacks
    -Company trips

Cons

-Management team lack of direction
    -Favoritism
    -No career growth
    -Over hire and then let dead weight stay

Smart people, great culture

I worked at Kabam as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

First of all, Kabam's HR does an incredible job of recruiting people. Everyone who works here is incredibly talented and smart and these people have, no doubt, made Kabam the company it is today. It's obvious that employee happiness comes first here, and the perks are really great. My time at this company definitely exceeded my expectations.

Cons

Not too much cross-department collaboration. People usually stick to their own departments (but that's probably not very different from most companies).

Kabam is definitely doing well in terms of overall revenue, but really needs to focus on the outward perception of player needs and customer service.

A great place to work

I have been working at Kabam

Pros

Everyone works together, enjoys being a part of a team and is always willing to lend a helping hand. Goals are clear making motivation easy to find.

Cons

Sometime the size of the company/teams feel overwhelming. Our strengths are in our ability to work together as tight teams, and with a world wide infrastructure and network, some of the small team feel is lost.

Smart, driven people & company

I have been working at Kabam full-time

Pros

* People are very smart here, understand their business well
    * Teams work collaboratively across various functions
    * Company management driven to succeed and compete against other companies; not resting on laurels

Cons

* Company is getting large, and many people are spread across remote locations
    * The fast growth is still leaving a lot of holes in processes and infrastructure [opportunity for those who like building new things and not just running existing business]

Continue to make progress on creating great products and caring for customers

From the Silicon Valley to the Silicon Hills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Kabam full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Excellent Company Benefits
    - Flexible Workplace Environment
    - Managers challenge employees while allowing them to maintain autonomy
    -Lots of emphasis and resources dedicated to professional development
    -Exceptional Co-Workers

Cons

- Remote office logistics and communication can be challenging at times
    - Somewhat limited career path as due to lack of multiple departments onsite

LOVE working for Kabam

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Transparency from the top down (I have full trust in and confidence of our Upper Management team)
    Excellent career development (they give you the resources to expand your reach within the organization)
    Laid back (but passionate) work place
    We're spoiled (free lunches, dinners, snacks, gaming, trips etc etc etc)

Cons

Cohesiveness between offices (it's sometimes difficult to connect with employees in other locations. Would be great to foster collaboration between national and international offices)

Vive la Revolution

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bringing about transformation and disruption to the entertainment industry is rewarding and exciting, while at the same time challenging, and it is not always easy. Pursuit to solve this big, audacious mission makes the challenges worthwhile. We have great teammates to work with, and the necessary resources/benefits to be successful.

Cons

Sometimes we are slow to address issues, and get the right people in the right functions and it is magnified in this quick moving, continuously evolving industry.

Great Perks, Zero Creativity

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kabam full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would potentially work here again just for the perks. Work-life balance was pretty decent, loose atmosphere, vacation was untracked, and there were catered meals daily. Plenty of snacks and drinks for the taking. Great benefits package, plenty of holidays off.

Cons

If you want to work in a creative environment where you have a say and desire to grow your career, seek elsewhere. The company cares about one thing, and that's its bottom line. It is a business first; caring about the customer and the line employee are much farther down the priority list. There is also a lot of favoritism. Despite a lot of lip service about personal growth and career goals, if you are not part of the right clique, you will be passed over. Finally, constant reorganizations show that the management really has no idea what it's trying to do.

If you're just looking for a paycheck with good benefits, then this place would probably work for you.

While the bottom line is important, you should pay more attention to customer needs, recognizing talented employees, and pushing for creativity and innovation, not just what will make you a quick dollar. Employee loyalty will follow and you will retain top talent.

Not impressed

I have been working at Kabam

Pros

Catered lunch daily
    Good benefits
    401k
    Snacks
    Xbox!!!
    Flexible hours
    Free Dinner

Cons

If you want to get ahead in the company, please understand how Cronyism works.

I thought the new org (not studio) was a better place for me before transferring, but its proven me wrong. This new org has a few extremely lazy people who are not motivated to perform their job well. They love to use company dime to travel for "work purposes" while the trip doesn't justify their main job function. For instance, producers traveling for business development meetings..and they are often gone for 2 weeks at a time. During the said time, please do not expect to get an answer for your emails because they are too busy "traveling for work". Other teams often need to cover the MIA colleague or delay the project for a few weeks due to others' incompetence and laziness.

If you pass by this area of the office, you'd probably see people surfing Facebook, personal emails, chats and watching youtube videos all the time. These people still have a job because they are friends with the right people. If you are the VP's favorite then you get to disrespect other colleagues. I'm glad I don't need to deal with this anymore.

Lazy and incompetent employees are equally bad.