Kahn Lucas

CEO

wonderful internship experience

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Kahn Lucas as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing corporate culture. Even as an intern, my opinion was taken into account, and I was given meaningful tasks to work on throughout the day, as well as people that explained to me the work I was doing so that I understood its significance. The employees wanted me to learn as much as I could during my experience, and it was a fantastic one at that!

Cons

Some of the work could be tedious--though they tried to avoid it, number-punching has to happen for everyone.

Town hall meetings are a great idea, just keep things relevant!

Unhappy and Stressful..Undervalued

Former Employee - Assistant Designer
    Former Employee - Assistant Designer

I worked at Kahn Lucas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary OK, Benefits somewhat decent, Learned a lot

Cons

Employees in the design field are not as valued as their constituents in the Sales dept though we are the basis of what an Apparel company should be. Often those in design have their new ideas/designs shelved and disregarded by those in Sales, or picked apart and modified to their breaking point. Margins are valued over creativity, often illogically. No room to grow creatively. Design talents are often muddled by production errors and shoddy factory production as a whole - very hit or miss - lots of backtracking and blame games. All errors fall back on Design, even if what happened was out of their hands. Design teams are expected to turn over large and extensive design projects (in addition to designing for the line) in a short time and without proper notice. Extreme levels of unnecessary stress is placed on senior designers which trickles down to the lower tier members of their team (assistants, product managers, artists), which often means trouble and upset for everyone on the team needlessly. Small issues are blown out of proportion while bigger problems fall ignored. Difficulty to communicate with superiors out of fear of being reprimanded or misunderstood is in turn the climate created.

Please, value your designers and their teams. No one seemed to take notice of any of our struggles to stay afloat. There is an extreme lack recognition is given to the designers for their individual achievements, especially from Sales. Stop lumping the company product into one and acknowledge the designers for their individual talents and strengths instead of putting them all against each other and setting each team up for failure or triumph based on personal egos or opinions. As a former design team member, I felt very undervalued, unimportant, disposable, despite the fact that I gave my all to my position. Please stop treating assistants as though they are children, speaking to them in condescending manner needlessly. When you finally believe you have gained some importance, you can be let go without warning. (Also, please weigh options better before eliminating entire teams of people, give fair warning, don't drag the rug from beneath their feet)

Everyone is nervous and afraid. The environment is volatile. CEO is not down to earth or on the level with employees. Too intimidating. There is a lot of anger, frustration, fear. It's not a happy place. You have to trick your mind into believing you are happy. I think the environment can change, but it will take a complete overhaul of the company structure, and it starts by putting Sales and Design on a level playing field, both in lieu of their salaries, and their value to the company. It should not be a pyramid with Sales above Design as it is now.

Dirty, Disorganized, Racist Staff, Unhealthy Environment Physically and Emotionally

I worked at Kahn Lucas

Pros

Office in mid-manhattan close to shopping.

Cons

Long Hours, make you work 9-6:15 daily.
    No growth. No direction from upper management or CEO.
    In over 12+ years experience, worst company I have ever worked for.

Nightmare & anxiety place.

Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Kahn Lucas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not much, salary ok. If you desperately need a job, take it. Might always learn something. However, once done with this place, it will be bad for your own sanity.

Cons

Employees are afraid to loose their jobs. Yelling and suffering employees. Nasty attitude and you will do great. Nice people should stay away for their own sanity. Lots of talk about ”need more business” which is never a good sign for a healthy business. They hire people and set them up for failure. BAD health care.

There is no real personal touch to this place. No good creativity comes out of that and the employees hate management. The whole process of this place is just old school, no sense of the ”next big thing” or fashion forward, hip and cool clothing. Extreme waste of money process. Management is clueless. Place got so much potensial if things were done the right way, but that’s not going to happen. And really, since WHEN has it been ok to have managers just YELL with zero respect at team members?! This company should have a lawsuit down their a** for giving its employees severe anxiety. Never seen anything like this in my life.
    Also, no matter how many people are recruited to this place, it’s never going to happen. It’s very obvious they don’t have the right structure, correct tools, way too many egos, clueless owner and not the right air to be a success as their competitors. Also the final product seen on the floor is not always good quality, which is really sad.

Everyone is made to feel like they are doing something wrong

I worked at Kahn Lucas full-time

Pros

The location is right across from Macy's Herald square. That's all I got.

Cons

The Ceo walks around his $1,000 suits, extolling the mores of famous entrepreneurs and leaders, and not practicing any of those values himself. Everyone is constantly made to feel infantile and like they are just on the edge of being fired. It is a very inhibitive work place, with terrible pay and terrible benefits.

Fun place to learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Kahn Lucas as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My manager gave me the opportunity to learn from other departments, many birthday celebrations, always busy and always someone willing to show how to do something or the company's aesthetics.

Cons

no pay for credit-bearing interns but expect full-time availability, not much room to advance to a full-time position, employees are nice to interns but come down hard on each other, a lot of work but not enough staff which leads to many staying later

Hire more assistants or pay all interns (would most likely stick around after semester) to lighten the load, especially in the Production department

Only a company I would recommend for entry level/to get your foot in the door as thats as much as you'll grow

Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Kahn Lucas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

somewhere a little girl is happy she has a nice dress

Cons

not much for position growth, senior designers are all weird and really don't care to see any of their team grow to higher positions, low salary, and they will put u to work on other jobs that aren't necessarily what u were hired to do, upper management hires their friends which aren't always the most qualified (it is a very "clicky" environment)

there needs to be better potential for growth for everyone not just higher management

The company is 100+ years old, that says something!

I have been working at Kahn Lucas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very stable and changing with the times. I have taken on many responsibilities since joining so there is opportunity to grow. Both Owner and President are both very good people to work with. I've been at Kahn Lucas for over 10 years since Owner took over and the business has grown a lot. Its also nice that we are doing some good for the world through a mission in Africa. The company isn't perfect but does have very good values which is why many are here.

Cons

The industry in a tough one.

More training and development opportunities outside of execs.

great family work environment

I have been working at Kahn Lucas

Pros

lots of learning opportunities, good pay, decent benefits, good managers, nice work environment, The ability to be challenged is definitely there.

Cons

very fast paced, consider a 401K match,

keep communicationg your plans

Dream job

I have been working at Kahn Lucas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The is a lot of autonomy at the company. You are given the tools you need to be successful and the time to accomplish the goals.

Cons

Some employees don't know how great they have it.