Kainos Reviews

4.7
Brendan Mooney

1. All good!

I have been working at Kainos

Pros

Excellent company, very strong autonomy given right from day one. You are always given responsibility and feel that your contribution is important. A really good place to work in terms of work-life balance, and also career progression. As long as you want to progress, get experience in different areas, and are not shy about putting your hand up to do things and asking questions, then this is the place for you.

Cons

This is not the place for people who want a job there they sit and wait to be told to do something. Although that for me is a pro!

Advice to Management

The company is growing at a phenomenal rate. This is all good news, and management seem to know already that this needs to balanced with trying to keep a tight fit culture, with open communication and lots of collaboration. I hope this continues

2. Excellent Company

Current Employee - Architect in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Architect in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No limit to growth or challenge. Culture of excellence at all levels. Highly supportive, collaborative people, who genuinely want each other to do well. Excellent training. Visible, approachable and authentic CEO and executive team. Kainos is a unique mix of technical innovation, superb career development, impactful projects and commercial success. Small company agility and culture with large company (world-class, I would say) professionalism. Terrific office locations.

Cons

Very few. Kainos is a high-performance environment. This can affect people's confidence if (as can happen for a variety of reasons) if they aren't on their game at all times. Travel is required for some projects, which for some people involves considerable personal sacrifice.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide an environment where people have the confidence to do what needs to be done, and provide the support to address gaps in their skills. Nurture for high performance. Provide the strongest possible support to travellers - few admit the real pain that travelling causes them and their families.

3. Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Senior WebOps Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior WebOps Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Kainos 4 years ago as a placement student when the company had around 200 employees and it had a very family like ethos. I am glad to say that even now with over 700 employees that has remained the same. Your in control of your own career at Kainos, if you have the drive and ability you can quickly progress through the career ladder. You can also move between disciplines or gain experience in new areas, its all under your control and in my experience Kainos have always been able to facilitate.

Cons

I struggle to find any real cons. The travel can be quite exhausting but depending on client requirements Kainos try to be flexible here also with remote working featuring where possible.

Advice to Management

More could be done to make separate BUs feel less segregated Don't let resourcing pressures or project demands lower the standards of both employees and contractors we bring in. Continue the efforts to increase the incentive to travel.

5. Software Engineer Review

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people and support from them. - Lots of opportunities to learn new skills and give direct input. - Great working conditions - all the tech you need. - Opportunity to travel and meet customers. - Awesome team environment. - Good salary.

Cons

- From my view in my role - none that I can think of. Ever since starting Kainos as a company has gone above and beyond what I expected.

Advice to Management

- Senior management sometimes seem a tad distant. But that's to be expected, they do a very good job of trying to keep everyone in the loop.

6. Opportunities, teamwork and knowledge

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

- Excellent working ethos, promotes innovation and invites challenge - Incredibly driven employees with fantastic work ethic - Wide variety of challenges - Opportunity to travel - Good Social culture - Promotes new technologies

Cons

Kainos is an absolutely terrific place to work, when looking for the absolute perfection these small points come up: - Salary not quite matching responsibilities, although yearly percentage bumps are adequate - Travel can be an expectation in some roles - Remote employees can suffer disconnect from time to time although the company will happily fund travel to any HQ

Advice to Management

Keep driving the company forward and maintaining the amazing ethos

7. Good company, great experience

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

Great opportunities and experience to move around different roles. You are treated with respect and management care about the staff.

Cons

Growing pains of lots of exciting business, and needing to scale appropriately. The company however are working through this and putting the appropriate initiatives in place.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture that we love. Staff incentives like pay day drinks and the free fruit help!

8. Great company, great people

Current Employee - Operational Infrastructure Services Manager in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kainos is the type of company that allows innovative, motivated and talented people shine. Opportunities to get involved in a wealth of technologies for a diverse customer set leads to the ability to build a strong career. People are very supportive and helpful and you are made to feel part of the company. Although we have grown rapidly since I joined 5 years ago we have still maintained a friendly small company / family type environment.

Cons

The work isn't easy and can be quite stressful, however you genuinely feel that the effort you put in is appreciated. It is your responsibility to handle the pressure and demands of work and I have experienced people buckle under this in the past, however people are supportive and helpful and you will get help if you ask for it.

9. Sad to leave, but will be back!

Former Employee - SE -≫ SA in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - SE -≫ SA in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Kainos full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people. The company has grown significantly over the past number of years, but one thing hasn't changed - the atmosphere of creativity, positivity, helpfulness and desire to really make a difference in what they deliver. I'd hope to work with / for Kainos again in the future.

Cons

Everyone says it, and it's true - the ability to travel for Belfast based staff is highly desirable. Kainos are gradually increasing the number of Belfast jobs (and are hiring throughout the UK at source), but this is unlikely to change for Belfast people as Agile delivery works best with a co-located team (unless you work very very hard to overcome the difficulties). But take this as a positive; if you are a young, hungry IT grad with a great attitude, you can very quickly be involved in some pretty amazing projects, making a real difference to people's lives on a UK-wide (and beyond) scale.

Advice to Management

Interested to see how the new demands of the public shareholders meshes with the current culture and approach where profit is not the only driving factor. I hope this won't change, and i'm sure management will remain conscious of this.

10. Kainos

I have been working at Kainos

Pros

Excellent culture, family friendly policies, free fruit every day, lots of company social gatherings (either fully or mostly subsidised by the company), knowledge sharing culture, excellent opportunities to learn and develop and move roles and teams. Career pathways are evident and career coaches are assigned to help you achieve your career goals. Flexibility and trust are hugely important.

Cons

Lack of parking is a bit of an issue for me personally, but its in a great location close to europa and botanic so that helps. Expectations on people can be very high (which, per se, isn't a bad thing - it can just make people feel a bit overworked sometimes)

Advice to Management

Management are open and actually care about staff - keep it up!

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The people are the biggest asset. Friendly and extremely helpful. - Knowledge sharing is becoming more of a thing for the techies. - Put your hand in the air if you want to travel and it will happen. - Working from home, nipping out for appointments, etc has never been a problem, even on very short notice. I have had good working relationships with all my managers and everyone trusts each other a LOT. Therefore no-body takes the mick. People get their work done. - I would say by default, you are very well looked after and there is a great work/life balance. However if you travel (which I have done so for a time) you are extremely well looked after. It's obviously a commitment to work away from your home office, but you are able to get a nice apartment, have nearly everything paid for plus a good amount of extra money. - Good day to day benefits which are often overlooked like free tea/coffee and fruit. - Some larger benefits, like free BUPA healthcare after 2 years employment, pension scheme. - Social pay day drinks every month, yearly events such as company BBQ and Christmas do (usually in very nice places with nearly everything paid for). - Well defined career paths. Promotions can come reasonably early. - Some senior people in the company are involved with schools and universities to help steer. - Very good equipment and a dedicated systems team to help sort out any equipment problems. - The company are not shy to get rid of new-ish employees who are obviously not right for Kainos. - As a developer, I am usually dealing with reasonably new solutions which is nice. With the recent agile push, working is also reasonably varied. - Many people have come from other companies in Belfast (Citi, AllState) who have told me horror stories about work/life balance, the constant pressure, etc which is not present in any environment in Kainos which I have worked before. Yes, there is sometimes pressure to deliver, but not to the extent, consistency and scale which other (particularly financial based) companies have. - Very open. All feedback from company events (including negative responses) is made available to employees. - Extremely good training for new placement and graduates. - With a bit of notice and justification, you are free to attend training courses and professional IT conferences and Kainos will pay your flights/hotel/etc (this isn't just all talk either, it actually happens). The company does invest in its people.

Cons

- Sometimes feels like there is a strong divide between business units. - Can be hard to move from a project or get accurate timescale for when you will get an opportunity to move. You need to know or speak to the right people. Managers at various levels can sometimes just be thinking of their own project priorities and keeping their valuable people, at the risk of losing them from the company completely.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the right people. Don't let the quality slip as we grow. Keep putting money into employee wellbeing and benefits to keep the good people happy! Our biggest selling point is our people. Be careful about career coach assignments and assigning coaches who are only one level above.

RSS Feed </> Embed