Kainos

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
4.6

Brendan Mooney

Great company. Smart people. Fantastic projects.

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Kainos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people - highly skilled workforce. The standards are high in Kainos, so they only accept the best people. The teams I worked in had smart, motivated, ambitious people who were also good craic.

The projects - in my time there I worked in projects that covered many different domains and many technologies. This kept my technical skills sharp and increased my exposure to different customer and end-user requirements.

The company - despite the fact that the company grew considerably throughout my time there (the head count is now approaching 700 I believe), it still retains the "small company" feel (which I like). The culture encourages team-work and knowledge sharing. This is not an "every man for himself" type company in which you'll be under constant pressure from the person above you.

The above is, of course, just my experience, but I'd say it's fairly typical.

Cons

For certain projects travel may be required, which doesn't suit everybody, but I always found Kainos to be flexible in working with employees to find a mutually beneficial outcome.

Okay'ish in the short run

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gdańsk (Poland)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gdańsk (Poland)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Perceptively easy to switch projects and technologies you are working on.
    Lots you can learn while starting your carrier.
    Comparatively good salary if aren't working client-side.

Cons

Highly uneven pay between originating offices.
    Corporate practices.
    Hard to execute reactions from management while working client-side.
    Management often doesn't understand what the solution requires and brings people without adequate skillset to the project.
    Management keeps referring to employees as "Resources".

Working client-side strips most perks which company offers while working in the companies office.

Successful company which is a pleasure to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Very secure and growing company
    -Good, exciting projects using advanced technologies
    -Excellent tight-knit teams
    -Very convenient city centre location(Belfast)
    -Competitive salary

Cons

-Some business units have limited career growth potential
    -Recommendation system for promotion at lower grades makes career progression difficult at times
    -Very easy to become pigeon-holed into a specific technology/skill set
    -Off-site travel requirements are often too much (being addressed with additional recruitment though)

Please review the recommendation system for promotion and promote people based on standard vacancy/application processes

Sep 25, 2014Managing Director

Thanks for taking the time to provide the feedback - I found myself agreeing with the ‘Pros’ - and the ‘Cons’.

On career development, we are constantly seeking to improve. That’s the reason

Great company

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

Kainos has the advantage of feeling like you work for a small family run business while in fact being a growing company of 500+ people (and counting) which enables it to offer opportunities across lots of different types of project and business types.
    The people are exceptional - I've never worked for a company where almost everyone would go out of their way to help you if needed. The atmosphere is fun but hard working and you really have to know your stuff!

Cons

It's going through some growing pains trying to figure out how to manage the number of people it now has in the company and across so many different sites, which means that information doesn't flow quickly and frequently, although if you ask I've always been given a straight answer.
    The work is silo'd into business units and there isn't enough sharing of information across these divides

Sep 25, 2014Managing Director

Great feedback. I completely agree about the people - it’s clearly our internal view, but it’s also what our clients say as well in our satisfaction surveys.

On your point about the information
    ... More

Fantastic Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Create culture
    Great employee's - some of best and smartest people I've worked with
    All employees are given responsibility to grow and develop in the areas that they are interested in.
    Opportunities to work with latest and greatest technology
    Superb opportunities for training, aligned with your career aspirations
    Strong culture of promoting from within. Lots of opportunities if you want them.
    Loads of perks, from the simple free tea, coffee, fruit to private health insurance (after 2 yrs service)

Fantastic Place to Work!!

Cons

To be honest, can think of any

Sep 25, 2014Managing Director

It’s great to get feedback like this - what pleases me most is that this is your view after being in Kainos over five years.

I would point out that the free tea / coffee / fruit (and more
    ... More

Amazing company, great to be here!

Current Employee - Apprentice Software Engineer (Student Placement) in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (less than an year)

Pros

`Good Salaries, trainings provided, high number of benefits provided, involved in really important projects (I.E., GDS and Workday)

Cons

I can not find any cons, I am sorry. They give the best they can in order to make you happy.

Sep 25, 2014Managing Director

Although there are now just over 650 people in Kainos, I reckon I know the author of these comments - if that doesn't sound like I'm an online stalker.

It's great to have you in Kainos and

Diverse, rewarding, challenging, enjoyable

I have been working at Kainos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, working with an extremely high caliber workforce. Low attrition and a great working atmosphere

Cons

Depending on your BU there may be a lot of travel required

Continue as you are, but don't forget about the people

Excellent company in which to build a career

Current Employee - Architect in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Architect in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities exist for all delivery staff, enabling rapid progression from entry level positions to a varied range of roles across many industries and geographies.

Very professional in dealings with customers and well respected and commended by clients.

If you have a good idea, you can take it to management and it can be implemented.

People are typically excellent, best I've seen in any organisation.

Workplace maintains a friendly, helpful atmosphere.

Lots of support around training.

If you are good at what you do, that will be recognised, and you will do well.

Management are approachable and listen to staff and communication flows both ways.

Cons

At times, internal admin functions are HQ-centric, slow to react, and lowest cost wins, despite the employee inconvenience or long-term aims of the company.

Not sufficient diversification in projects across industries and locations for all staff at and all levels.

On occasion, different BUs within the organisation work for their own good, rather than for the advancement of the company.

Ensure that staff are appropriately rewarded for the significant efforts they put in.

Broaden the view of the industries we should be working in and project locations.

Take on outsider input on how to continue the current growth to maintain a good work-life balance for all employees

It's the best place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Solution Architect
    Current Employee - Solution Architect

I have been working at Kainos full-time

Pros

- Culture of learning and sharing is encouraged. You 'will' learn new things.
    - Real focus on 'doing things better'.
    - Management is engaged with employees and listen; your opinions matter.
    - You can take an idea to management and if approved, you'll be supported. This can lead to some great new initiatives taking you in directions you never envisaged.
    - You can move roles (at certain bands). I did this successfully.
    - Interesting projects; wide ranging fields and technologies.
    - The people are genuinely great to work with.
    - They are sensible about people and circumstances. You're not a number, you're a person.
    - They actively embrace new technologies.

Cons

- Growing pains and a bit of disorganisation going on due to growth.
    - Long working hours can occur occasionally.

- The growth is excellent but needs to be tempered with reflection and review. It feels like 'grow, grow, grow'.
    - We don't need to chase every opportunity and saying 'no' should be ok.
    - Some bureaucracy developing between Business Units which needs to be addressed. Projects suffer due to reluctance to share people across BU's/Projects.

Sep 25, 2014Managing Director

Kainos is fortunate to have a leadership position in three of our core markets - Healthcare, Workday HCM and Agile Development. This drives a question around the pace at which we wish to grow. And ... More

An enjoyable and rewarding company to work for.

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Derry, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Derry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I have been working at Kainos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with latest technologies using latest software methodologies within the testing practice.
    Working in a dynamic company where you shape your career and choose which path you want to go down.
    Management that listen to you.
    Diverse roles which are challenging but rewarding.
    Continuous feedback on your progression during your time with Kainos from management.
    A collective responsibility within your teams to deliver software of the highest quality

Cons

Sometimes a need to travel, which is good for some individuals, but just not my thing!

Keep doing what you're currently doing and driving the company onwards and upwards :-)