Kaiser Associates

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kevin Slayden

Exciting and growing consulting firm!

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kaiser Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros-You can work in/ gain exposure to a lot of sectors ( tech, public sector, private equity, healthcare, industrials, OD, consumer goods)
- You can be given a lot of responsibility and are rewarded based on performance
- Firm is willing to pay for business school for workers who are committed to the firm
- Great company culture (Happy hours, co-workers are friends outside of work, firm pays for groceries to be kept in the kitchen for employees to snack on, firm baseball games, etc.)
- Firm is very entrepreneurial and you are not limited to a certain way of doing things

Cons- Being a smaller firm there are less resources/ models etc. you would see at a large firm but this allows for flexibility in methods
- Clients like our work (which is great) creating more and more project resulting in overstaffing and limited bandwidth at times

Very good

IT Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaiser Associates full-time for more than a year

Proshard working people and they are cool

Consthey are a small group of professionals.

Advice to Senior Managementbe nice

Small working environment with Fortune 25 clientele

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kaiser Associates full-time for more than a year

Prosopportunities for advancement, small working groups for great exposure to company executivesq

Conslimited international movement, 2 people own 90% of company and do not reinvest in the business enough

Superb experience

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaiser Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Meritocracy for sure

ConsHard work
Can't hide
Limited formal training

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Shift to horizontal and vertical practices was a great one. Stay the course

Friendly, fun, and rewarding!

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaiser Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is a great and friendly culture here that is very non-competitive and nurturing.

People here are always willing to help you out, it is easy to move up the corporate ladder, and you are able to have a big impact because of how small the firm is

ConsThe size of the company is its greatest advantage and also its greatest disadvantage. You really have to like strategy consulting - things don't get too technical around here.

That being said, this is a much better place to begin your career and get your feet wet in consulting than a larger firm that has strict hierarchy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow more technical

Strong

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kaiser Associates

Prosclear path for promotion, interesting people and projects

Consformal training, knowledge sharing within the firm

Good opportunity but hated going to work

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Kaiser Associates

ProsFor someone right out of college Kaiser gives you a lot of responsibility. Lots of people in 20s and 30s. Great location. Can learn a lot.

ConsI will be upfront in saying I think I would have been unhappy at any management consulting firm because it was the wrong career path for me, but I still would have been happier at another firm.
- Can not control the types of projects you are assigned to
- Hours are very long, very stressful
- Not comfortable with methods of obtaining information. Nothing immoral, just a little too gray for me
- Management is hit or miss

LOTS of competitive intelligence / primary research work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaiser Associates

ProsGood access to clients, visibility to clients and some presentation responsibility; allows nearly full-cycle ownership of work.
Smart people, reasonably laid back atmosphere.
Good office location.
Good vacation.
Pretty good access to leadership ("open door" policy)

ConsHighly ambiguous goals, some projects sold without sufficient consideration of feasibility; unreasonable expectations.

No real measurement / reflection of time / effort required to complete projects (most of which are almost entirely dependent on gathering information, often highly competitive, from outside sources). Can have very long hours with no corresponding reward / overtime / recognition.

Success in firm entirely dependent on what projects you are staffed on.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve consultants in the full project sales cycle - allow them to choose their projects / type of projects.

I've had better

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaiser Associates

ProsExposure to several projects; flexible working hours; rapid skill development

ConsLack of name recognition; has a tough time competing against the more well-known firms, ultimately getting second-rate projects; the firm likes to embellish its "camaraderie" but the reality is that the culture is actually quite stiff. There are some great people that work there but others that just make it a bear to come to work knowing that I'll have to spend 10 hours in front of a white board with them. They need to do a better job finding the right people and of course, not overhiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne recommendation is to utilize their location and get into the government space to increase revenue and jump ahead of their usual competitors. Another recommendation is to stop selling your souls and limit the competitive intelligence to fair and honest market research. Lastly, develop some competencies that separate you from the competition. The benchmarking worked for a while but now you're just a run of the mill small strategy firm.

Fun, young, solid first job but don't stick around unless you want to kiss butt and behave like a 30-year old frat boy.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Kaiser Associates

ProsGreat culture, people right out of school, lots of camraderie. Lots of potential for promotion. You can be VP in 4 years out of school.

ConsYou can be VP in 4 years out of school. Management team is young and inexperienced. Most of them have never worked at another company. A lot of phone work, so you have to be ok with that. Long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't promote people just because they've put in their time. Loyalty is great, but it can also mean you put inexperienced people in positions where they are managing young consultants and making poor client decisions.

Worked for Kaiser Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Kaiser Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Kaiser Associates CEO Kevin Slayden. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Kaiser Associates employees.