Kaiser Permanente

3.6
1,806 Reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Allowed me to telecommute once a week so promoted a healthy work-life balance (in 158 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 201 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance available to doctors; not the same for administrative staff (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

57 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Surgical Assistant

Former Employee - Surgical Assistant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Surgical Assistant in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work. surgeons easy to work with.

Cons

Under Staffed, being on call

Great place to work

Former Employee - Finance Contractor in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Finance Contractor in Englewood, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As a contractor, I really enjoyed my time with the team. Best atmosphere of any place which I have worked

Cons

None for me. Truly enjoyed my experience

My experience is friendly and helpful

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Kaiser cares about their patients but Kaiser to0 patients with Obama health care

Cons

Getting anything done make to decisions more training with the staff to be more knowledgeable

Better care

Work at Kaiser Permante

Current Employee - Cloud Developer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Cloud Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good workplace , Management is good

Cons

vendor dependent company , don't treat contractors well.

Process has to be more fast.

Great employer

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Kaiser is very good to their employees. Benefits are amazing. They also really care about members and providing the best service at the best price. I've worked for Kaiser for over 7 years and have always felt well compensated and appreciated.

Cons

It takes a long time to get anything done. There are also a lot of politics that seem to hinder progress.

Many people are on-the-job retired

Former Employee - Director in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Aurora, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great experience as a patient of Kaiser! Great services offered and KP keeps in front and uses technology to the benefit of the patient.

Cons

It is not fast-paced at all. Many people appear to be hoping no one notices they don't work much. The expectations and the accountability are low. I am not sure how they provide such great patient care with what happens in the "back offices."

Create a strong vision, hire motivated and driven people and hold them accountable for some lofty goals.

Leadership is old and stale.

Former Employee - Project Manager II in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager II in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Because Kaiser has a blue chip reputation in the industry, having work experience at Kaiser on my resume has opened more doors than I can count. Tough it out while you're working at Kaiser and the payoff will be when you leave.

Cons

Petty and dishonest management and leadership. They say they promote from within, but I didn't find this to be true. You will not be valued unless you are a clinician (RN, MD).

Demonstrate stronger values like integrity more often and more consistently. Bring in some younger, experienced talent. Enough of the "working retired".

Good company

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Care of employees and fridenly

Cons

a little stress and work quickly

Will work you to death. The benefits don't make up for the stress.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Programmer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Programmer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Benefits really are the best around. My Kaiser health insurance is free. I had a medical procedure and it cost me $20 co-pay, that's it. Pension (if you can make it 5 years for it to vest) + 5% matching on 457b.
    - Lots of PTO, but in certain areas it's very difficult to use due to understaffing. I get 22 PTO days + 4 personal days.
    - My team allows telecommuting, so I never go into the office. This is a gigantic perk for me, and I realize that not all teams at KP do this.

Cons

- Working here (at least in info security) is incredibly stressful. Lots of off-hours work, on-call shifts, and constant frenzied pace throughout the day. Not uncommon for people to have health problems from stress.
    - No one knows how to get anything done. New employee that needs access to certain resources? Your manager will have no idea where to look, neither will your teammates.
    - Bad/non-existent documentation for processes.
    - Management doesn't receive adequate training. Most of them are either completely absent or totally micromanaging and won't back you up when you need them.
    - Revolving door of contractors. As soon as they get up to speed and have good knowledge of our domain, they're forced out the door. They're also treated poorly compared to FTEs.
    - Below market salary. They think the benefits make up for this, but not really. I've begun searching for new positions and they've all paid 20-40k more for similar work.
    - Constant re-orgs, followed by 20 meetings of executive-speak trying to explain why the re-org needed to happen.
    - Told you can move to a new team, but you'll never hear back on internal applications unless you know the hiring manager. I've seen this happen multiple times.
    - Nepotism. Someone gets promoted to manager and brings a bunch of their friends to work for them, even though they're not qualified. I've seen this on several teams.

- Hire more FTEs, not temporary contractors. Due to understaffing, employees are sick with stress and work/life balance is awful.
    - Provide better training to managers. At past companies, I felt I could rely on my manager and that they had good knowledge of the company and how to navigate it. Here, if you ask management a question, the response is usually "I don't know." Doesn't instill much confidence.
    - Pay better. The workload for many of us in security is tremendous and the hours are brutal. The benefits here really ARE great, but they don't make up for salary being dramatically below market rate.

Trying to do the right thing, but can't get out of their own way.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible sense of mission.
    Benefits cannot be beat.
    Lots of opportunity to contribute.

Cons

Incredible bureaucratic.
    Slow to move.
    Lack of leadership alignment.

Allow the regions to function more autonomously.