Kaiser Permanente Reviews in Denver, CO

3.6
1,603 Reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior (in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Kaiser Permanente - many possibilities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Kaiser offers many types of employment, everything from direct patient care to Marketing, Finance, and Research. Once in, your ability to move around is great. As you grow, so can your career - networking is very important once inside. Kaiser believes in promoting from within but is not afraid to go outsite to bring in the best. The benefits are also very good and currently include tuition reimbursement.

Cons

As a non-profit HMO, the focus is on providing excellent healthcare at the lowest costs. Revenue deficits are typically absorbed by the company instead being passed on to the customer. Because of this, salaries are typically lower than in the for-profit market. Also, employees must make sacrifices such as doing more with less, including being understaffed, and at times work without a cost of living raise.

Business should not always be about the bottom line. People deserve at least a cost of living increase every year and this needs to be built into the business plan. No increase creates low morale, low morale creates production and human resource loss, all of this equates to financial loss.

Leadership is old and stale.

Former Employee - Project Manager II  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager II in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Because Kaiser has a blue chip reputation in the industry, having work experience at Kaiser on my resume has opened more doors than I can count. Tough it out while you're working at Kaiser and the payoff will be when you leave.

Cons

Petty and dishonest management and leadership. They say they promote from within, but I didn't find this to be true. You will not be valued unless you are a clinician (RN, MD).

Demonstrate stronger values like integrity more often and more consistently. Bring in some younger, experienced talent. Enough of the "working retired".

Good company

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for less than a year

Pros

Care of employees and fridenly

Cons

a little stress and work quickly

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Trying to do the right thing, but can't get out of their own way.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredible sense of mission.
    Benefits cannot be beat.
    Lots of opportunity to contribute.

Cons

Incredible bureaucratic.
    Slow to move.
    Lack of leadership alignment.

Allow the regions to function more autonomously.

Will work you to death. The benefits don't make up for the stress.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Programmer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Programmer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Benefits really are the best around. My Kaiser health insurance is free. I had a medical procedure and it cost me $20 co-pay, that's it. Pension (if you can make it 5 years for it to vest) + 5% matching on 457b.
    - Lots of PTO, but in certain areas it's very difficult to use due to understaffing. I get 22 PTO days + 4 personal days.
    - My team allows telecommuting, so I never go into the office. This is a gigantic perk for me, and I realize that not all teams at KP do this.

Cons

- Working here (at least in info security) is incredibly stressful. Lots of off-hours work, on-call shifts, and constant frenzied pace throughout the day. Not uncommon for people to have health problems from stress.
    - No one knows how to get anything done. New employee that needs access to certain resources? Your manager will have no idea where to look, neither will your teammates.
    - Bad/non-existent documentation for processes.
    - Management doesn't receive adequate training. Most of them are either completely absent or totally micromanaging and won't back you up when you need them.
    - Revolving door of contractors. As soon as they get up to speed and have good knowledge of our domain, they're forced out the door. They're also treated poorly compared to FTEs.
    - Below market salary. They think the benefits make up for this, but not really. I've begun searching for new positions and they've all paid 20-40k more for similar work.
    - Constant re-orgs, followed by 20 meetings of executive-speak trying to explain why the re-org needed to happen.
    - Told you can move to a new team, but you'll never hear back on internal applications unless you know the hiring manager. I've seen this happen multiple times.
    - Nepotism. Someone gets promoted to manager and brings a bunch of their friends to work for them, even though they're not qualified. I've seen this on several teams.

- Hire more FTEs, not temporary contractors. Due to understaffing, employees are sick with stress and work/life balance is awful.
    - Provide better training to managers. At past companies, I felt I could rely on my manager and that they had good knowledge of the company and how to navigate it. Here, if you ask management a question, the response is usually "I don't know." Doesn't instill much confidence.
    - Pay better. The workload for many of us in security is tremendous and the hours are brutal. The benefits here really ARE great, but they don't make up for salary being dramatically below market rate.

Great benefits - Poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits are excellent, especially health care.

Cons

Management is almost non existent, they don't believe in communicating the information necessary to do your Job. It's almost like they are playing " I know something you don't know! "

We all work here, we're on the the same team, aren't we? We'll act like it!

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There were some good people that worked there. Other than that, absolutely no pros.

Cons

Terrible leadership, unethical management team, terrible compensation, terrible benefits. I would not send my worst enemy to work for this terrible company. I worked here for almost 3 years and only found a handful of decent people. No training. Minimal work-life balance.

Fire your entire management staff and under performing employees and start over.

Stay away

Current Employee - Hubcap Changer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Hubcap Changer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Medical coverage 401k a pay check

Cons

No room for growth or options to transfer out

Lead by example better

Very large Organization

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company desires to be the best at operational efficiencies. New location in Greenwood Village allows easy access for the south Denver area. Company growth is exponential. Great benefits.

Cons

Large corporate environment makes it difficult sometimes to get work done quickly. Very regimented in processes. Career advancement may be difficult due to management entrenchment.

One size does not fit all activities - consider streamlining when procedures are well known to maximize business value.

Was a wonderful opportunity to cut my teeth on in the IT industry. Taught many valuable cross industry skills .

Former Employee - PC Field Service Technician  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - PC Field Service Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing people who care about the members they service.

Cons

Culture changing from one of customer service to one of quantitative numbers. Instead of treating customers as customers treating as numbers and losing sight of the purpose and mission of the IT dept in a large enterprise. Will b e surprised if the Desktop Technicians are still in house in the near future.

Rethink the direction you are asking to go, the investment in time and people will be less costly if corrected prior to outsourcing. Other companies that have tried the out source route are bring most IT services back in house.

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!