Kaiser Permanente

3.6
1,806 Reviews

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson
Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Allowed me to telecommute once a week so promoted a healthy work-life balance (in 158 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 201 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance available to doctors; not the same for administrative staff (in 45 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Company that provides great benefits...

Current Employee - Receptionist II in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist II in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company provides great benefits and pay increases. There is a yearly cost of living raise and bonuses.

Cons

Staffing process could be improved. It is sometimes difficult to advance in the company, seniority plays a big role.

My experience was very good at Kaiser. The pay is good and the benefits were even better. A job to retire to.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, and opportunities. Job security

Cons

The raises were always small and the cutlure of each facility was different.

Leadership at Fontana Medical Center need to be fair. There are a lot of politics that makes it unfair for some at the bottom.

Former Kaiser Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fontana, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits. Most facilities are modern.

Cons

Local leadership is a problem. They lack the skill to form and maintain good teams, provide vague direction and then complain about the results. Local leadership often provides no feedback until there is a problem. Positive advice and feedback is frequently lacking.
    They have adopted a strategy of splitting certain positions between facilities, which sounds good and looks good on paper, but in practice it is disruptive and inefficient. Other problems are lazy and uncooperative staff nurses who have huge entitlement issues. Local management lacks the skill to manage these difficult cases, so they drag everyone down.

Get some leaders for the local facilities. Remember, managers are not necessarily leaders. Although we all know no one is indispensable, please don't treat people like one nurse is as good as another. Have some respect for the workers who do a good job. Stop pretending everyone is devoted to high quality when it is obvious that this isn't the case.

The Best Employee Heath Insurance Benefits

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist II in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist II in Fontana, CA

I worked at Kaiser Permanente full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Excellent Benefits and Pleasant Working Atmosphere.

Cons

Job security-my job was eliminated and I was laid-off

a good experience

Current Employee - LVN in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - LVN in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

free medical insurance is a HUGE plus! where can you find that these days

Cons

If you work in the outlying clinics,access to updates and education on kaiser policy changes,can be lacking.not enough support for lvn's furthering their education,but there is a program for MA's to become lvn's that is supported

I think that if you're going to have nurses in ANY clinic,then you should at least have an assistant manager that is a nurse.often the managers aren't aware of the nurse function or scope and this causes issues at times.It allows for exploitation to a certain degree

unfairness, nepotism, human resources working with managers to hire their friends

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

We get 7.5 weeks of vacation if you are a non union employee so long as you do not call off sick using your vacation hours. Union employees get 5wk of vacation with 5 days of Life Balance.

Cons

Managers hiring other managers daughters, sons and friends...nepotism.

Look at your managers and see if they are qualified to do the job. Do they have a degree? Many managers at kaiser do not have degrees.

Good environment.

I worked at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

Good benefits. Good pay. Excellent pension plan with retirement benefits. long term company. great work environment. stable work locations and status

Cons

dated computer system, interview was very coarse, union benefits made every promotion and transfer seniority based instead of performance based

Seniority should not be the only thing looked at for promotions. You should be looking at the overall picture in order for someone to get a promotion.

pharmacist intern

Current Employee - Pharmacist Intern in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacist Intern in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

pay is the highest, great pharmacists, and opportunities for growth. once in, the benefits are really great. Def dont want to go anywhere else.

Cons

there are certain departments that squeeze the heck out of you in terms of hours worked...hello we have school too...although not as bad as los angeles center

dont forget that we have school, and thus cannot more than a certain number of hours per week as was promised

Management is in need of professionalism and training.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

The best reason to work at Kaiser is if you have a need for affordable health care and are a strong believer in the medical care provided by Kaiser.

Cons

If you choose to not accept Kaiser medical insurance then an alternate compensation is provided however, you will not receive sick or vacation time.
    Management consists of individuals with only AA degrees without prior management experience or understanding to the dynamics of an interdisciplinary team. Almost all managers are nurses therefore limited in understanding the complexities of other disciplines. Management positions are "at will" positions and therefore act in a "cut throat" /demeaning manner when addressing issues related to employees. Management is not able, prepared or trained to communicate and maintain an acceptable level of professionalism.

Seek further management skills and training, focusing on communication skills, group/employee dynamics, and above all professionalism and honesty. Management is quick to lose the trust of its employees due to a lack of honesty and follow-through.

Great Job to Have When Going to School for a Career

Current Employee - Clerk in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Kaiser Permanente

Pros

The benefits! Kaiser has some of the best benefits available. Where else can you get a free MRI or a $5 surgery. The pay is pretty amazing as well. I make about 1.5 times more than anyone else working for another company would make in my position. Add that with the benefits and the number increases to 2.5. Did I mention 120 hrs sick leave, 40 hours life balance, and 40-160 hours vacation a year?

Cons

Some departments are very heavy on micro-management. Managers do not think things through. They simply get ideas and implement them without getting feedback from their employees. The company does not treat their employees as assets and does not have a very good recoginition program in place.

Listen to your employees because they are the ones on the front line. Shadow them for a day and see the challanges they face on a day-by-day basis.