Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Permanente Reviews in Fontana, CA

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson

Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior (in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights
9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Best Employee Heath Insurance Benefits

Medical Transcriptionist II (Former Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsCompetitive Pay, Excellent Benefits and Pleasant Working Atmosphere.

ConsJob security-my job was eliminated and I was laid-off

Former Kaiser Nurse

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Fontana, CA

Prosgood pay and benefits. Most facilities are modern.

ConsLocal leadership is a problem. They lack the skill to form and maintain good teams, provide vague direction and then complain about the results. Local leadership often provides no feedback until there is a problem. Positive advice and feedback is frequently lacking.
    They have adopted a strategy of splitting certain positions between facilities, which sounds good and looks good on paper, but in practice it is disruptive and inefficient. Other problems are lazy and uncooperative staff nurses who have huge entitlement issues. Local management lacks the skill to manage these difficult cases, so they drag everyone down.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some leaders for the local facilities. Remember, managers are not necessarily leaders. Although we all know no one is indispensable, please don't treat people like one nurse is as good as another. Have some respect for the workers who do a good job. Stop pretending everyone is devoted to high quality when it is obvious that this isn't the case.

a good experience

LVN (Current Employee) Fontana, CA

Prosfree medical insurance is a HUGE plus! where can you find that these days

ConsIf you work in the outlying clinics,access to updates and education on kaiser policy changes,can be lacking.not enough support for lvn's furthering their education,but there is a program for MA's to become lvn's that is supported

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that if you're going to have nurses in ANY clinic,then you should at least have an assistant manager that is a nurse.often the managers aren't aware of the nurse function or scope and this causes issues at times.It allows for exploitation to a certain degree

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

unfairness, nepotism, human resources working with managers to hire their friends

Supervisor (Current Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsWe get 7.5 weeks of vacation if you are a non union employee so long as you do not call off sick using your vacation hours. Union employees get 5wk of vacation with 5 days of Life Balance.

ConsManagers hiring other managers daughters, sons and friends...nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your managers and see if they are qualified to do the job. Do they have a degree? Many managers at kaiser do not have degrees.

Good environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsGood benefits. Good pay. Excellent pension plan with retirement benefits. long term company. great work environment. stable work locations and status

Consdated computer system, interview was very coarse, union benefits made every promotion and transfer seniority based instead of performance based

Advice to Senior ManagementSeniority should not be the only thing looked at for promotions. You should be looking at the overall picture in order for someone to get a promotion.

pharmacist intern

Pharmacist Intern (Current Employee) Fontana, CA

Prospay is the highest, great pharmacists, and opportunities for growth. once in, the benefits are really great. Def dont want to go anywhere else.

Consthere are certain departments that squeeze the heck out of you in terms of hours worked...hello we have school too...although not as bad as los angeles center

Advice to Senior Managementdont forget that we have school, and thus cannot more than a certain number of hours per week as was promised

Management is in need of professionalism and training.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsThe best reason to work at Kaiser is if you have a need for affordable health care and are a strong believer in the medical care provided by Kaiser.

ConsIf you choose to not accept Kaiser medical insurance then an alternate compensation is provided however, you will not receive sick or vacation time.
    Management consists of individuals with only AA degrees without prior management experience or understanding to the dynamics of an interdisciplinary team. Almost all managers are nurses therefore limited in understanding the complexities of other disciplines. Management positions are "at will" positions and therefore act in a "cut throat" /demeaning manner when addressing issues related to employees. Management is not able, prepared or trained to communicate and maintain an acceptable level of professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek further management skills and training, focusing on communication skills, group/employee dynamics, and above all professionalism and honesty. Management is quick to lose the trust of its employees due to a lack of honesty and follow-through.

Great Job to Have When Going to School for a Career

Clerk (Current Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsThe benefits! Kaiser has some of the best benefits available. Where else can you get a free MRI or a $5 surgery. The pay is pretty amazing as well. I make about 1.5 times more than anyone else working for another company would make in my position. Add that with the benefits and the number increases to 2.5. Did I mention 120 hrs sick leave, 40 hours life balance, and 40-160 hours vacation a year?

ConsSome departments are very heavy on micro-management. Managers do not think things through. They simply get ideas and implement them without getting feedback from their employees. The company does not treat their employees as assets and does not have a very good recoginition program in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees because they are the ones on the front line. Shadow them for a day and see the challanges they face on a day-by-day basis.

A great company yet has opportunities to be the greatest

Middle Level Manager (Current Employee) Fontana, CA

ProsCareer opportunities, compensation and benefits
    Future of health care system in USA. Labor management partnership that works well. Kaiser's vision of providing preventive medicine.Doctor/nurse collabaration, supportive senior management.

ConsToo big, sometimes it takes so many levels to get a simple change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be more open and transparent
    to be more objective when giving promotions

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!