Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Permanente Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Kaiser Permanente Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bernard J. Tyson

Bernard J. Tyson

Pros
  • Some opportunity for work life balance depending on your superior (in 136 reviews)

• Great benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule (in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no "work life balance" at Kaiser, contrary to the expressed platitude (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management is adept at finding new ways to run their best employees off (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights
256 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

best place to work

Staff RN (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

Prosgreat pay, great benefits, annual bonuses based on performance, nurse to patient ratio is manageable, good values, lots of patient education, offers all in one place services

Conshard to get days off at times due to seniority, not many bad things, doctors work well with the staff

my time at this job was great Kaiser gave me the opportunities to grow and become the person I am today

Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsKaiser gives you the opportunity to grow and be part of a team

Consworking at Kaiser has its highs and lows. The highs are when you know you made a differences in someone days.

My experience of being on an implementation team for new pharmacy software was a nightmare.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Downey, CA

ProsKaiser offers a lot of different opportunities because it is such a large and expanding company.

ConsIn the technical area, Kaiser spends countless dollars on projects because management refuses to see the value of personnel trained in other areas than medical or pharmaceutical. Doctors and pharmacists negotiate technical contracts, manage projects etc. without experience and attention to industry standards. Projects are very poorly managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your strengths and limitations and accept the fact that being a medical or pharmaceutical professional does not equip you to perform in arenas dealing with technology. Eliminate so much of the job nepotism and let the non-medical professionals do the jobs that they are trained to do. .

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ageism

Project Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis was a great place to work ten or 15 years ago. Good employee benefits and retirement plan. The culture has changed.

ConsVery bureaucratic. They bring in a lot of contractors who do good work and then never hire them. Every reorg gets rid of the oldest people. You can be there for years, you're out in a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrong team dynamic, groups run like a family...a dysfunctional family.

Kaiser treats its employees well, but don't go here if you're looking for a challenge

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsGreat benefits - while I was there there was a very flexible work schedule. Working remotely once a week was very common for employees. Lots of opportunities for advancement or moving to a different department. My management team was awesome - very supportive and intelligent.

ConsMany employees are able to skate by without doing much. The employee reviews weren't closely tied to bonuses. Very bureaucratic! Took forever to get many things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake employee reviews more closely tied to bonuses...incentivize them to actually work hard.

Very secure but very slow to advance.

Analyst (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsThe company is secure and the benefits are great.

ConsIt can be frustrating to try to get your job done because of how slow moving everything is due to the amount of bureaucracy that accompanies an employer of this size.

Many people stay with the company a long time so a) many tenured coast by doing as little as possible and b) highly motivated and skilled staff leave when there is no hint of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress issues with underperforming employees rather than having other employees have to make up the gap. Maintaining advanced patient care is really important but sometimes it is just as important to spend money to advance behind the scenes supporting departments/software/equipment.

Graduate Intern

Graduate Intern (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsNon profit company with lots of diversity and opportunities to learn about kaiser and how they deliver excellent services to their members. The pay was on the high side for a Non-profit company and the intern program itself is fun with lots of learning activities. Work-life balance is also a huge bonus.

ConsThere is no development of interns towards securing a FT offer at the end of the program. The managers are weak and don't give you time to develop, I found myself asking for projects or more work. The members of my team are stand offish and fragmented. Everyone is mobile so there is little to no team collaboration. Everyone seemed to be worried about having or losing a job if they collaborated or shared there processes with you.

Advice to Senior ManagementCollaborate with your intern and develop their skill sets. Provide learning and teaching opportunities that will allow your interns to feel integrated with the teams functions.

Stable employment with sustainable growth opportunties

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompensation is competitive for a non-profit environment
    Great benefits
    Bonuses based on performance outcomes
    Diverse workforce
    Educational opportunities
    Healthy Workforce promotion
    True patient advocacy

ConsLack of accountability
    Change management
    Difficult to impact change on a large scale
    Behind in innovative and transformative care
    Career development
    Service areas often operate in silos

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working on accountability on all fronts
    Promote clear career paths for young leaders

Financial Assistant

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat health coverage, work benefits, great vacation days!

ConsWorking with union employees, difficult to move up because there are so many applicants (internal and external), politics (but that's with every organization), ACCOUNTS PAYABLE is the most difficult to deal with, IT support is horrible.

Love the company - it's big!

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros- lots of opportunities
    - if you self-driven you can build yourself a real career
    - excellent benefits
    - good work life balance, but you have to manage it

Cons- promotions come by chance and being in the right place at the right time - not by hard work
    - you feel the weight of politics and the higher you go the more heavier it gets
    - no career growth planning
    - leadership does not know how to retain superstars

Advice to Senior Management- listen to employees
    - provide career growth plans
    - reduce management layers

Worked for Kaiser Permanente? Contribute to the Community!